It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

Mikey's Mom HB User
Question Hi! new to this board have ? about med.

Hi! I have a 14 old year Daughter with E, her name is Michael. She has very active Epilepsy and currently taking 3 meds. She is being tested for surgery, and we are kind of at a stand still till after cardiology apt tomorrow. She had 2 V-EEG's and had alot of SZ's both times but the second time they also found a heart arythmia she was having prolonged QT's. The first time she was normal until she was put on carbatrol and then the heart issue started, I asked her Neuro about the med and she took her off of it that day. Then I looked it up and carb can cause cardiac side effects. My Question is has anyone had this problem with carb or any other anticonvulsant? Mikey's Mom

Old 09-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Hi! new to this board have ? about med.

I'd say from personal experience, carbamazepine has been a good anchor medication for me. I've been on it since I was a kid (5 yrs old) and I'm in my early 30's now still on it, in extended release form...

I've been on about 6 or 7 meds total I'd gander over the years. Started out on two. I'm on three now. Every patient is different.

What I'd say is don't let the **potential** side effects that you read scare you. Every med has a laundry list of them. You go with what works for the patient (or your child). Sometimes it is a hit and miss effort and a few meds need to be tried until you find the correct combo. I went about 6 or more YEARS until I was brought back under control. It is not a rapid process. The moves tend to be slow in adjustments and changes unless it is obvious that there is a negative reaction or that the medication needs to be changed.

Best of luck.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
Re: Hi! new to this board have ? about med.

Travis is right everyone reacts different to meds. Tripp has been on Tegretol for a very long time. He was on 400 mg three times daily and was on that for almost 3 years.His levels stayed great....UNTIL we add Depakote....now he is on 400mg twice daily. So it is very important to have levels checked often as they can change quickly. We tried MANY different add ons to the Tegretol and nothing control the grandmals until we added the Depakote.

Tegretol XR 400mg twice daily
Depakote 500 mg am and pm and 250mg 6 hours after the am dose.

Closed Thread