It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Anyone on a nightime dose only?

Recenty switched doctors.....

I have been recently switched from Keppra to Topamax. Sunday will be my last day on the Keppra and i will increase my Topamax at night from 25mg to 50mg. no morning dose.

I questioned "only a night time dose" and she with a smile said "yup".

I am so confused. I thought people with seizures were to be on a AM dose along with a PM dose.

I am going in for another sleep study Tuesday along with a day long study the day after as she seems to think my possible seizures are sleep related.

Maybe she is waiting for all the resluts to come back and I see her the beginning on November.

This doctor looked at my previous tests and stated this isn;t so bad while my other doctor was the opposite.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Anyone on a nightime dose only?

Topa's half life is 21 hours. TYPICALLY it is administered in 2 doses a day to maintain levels.

However that is not a requirement to be followed. With the longer half life (when the drug drops to "half" the initial dose taken) once a day may be seen as possible by some Dr's if the dose is high enough to maintain the syrum level through the day.

Hope the technical data helps you a little bit.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Thank you so much. This helps me more than you know.

You always seem to calm people down. Thank you for that!!!!!

PS Any chance you would know what the half life of Keppra is?

Last edited by j2006; 09-27-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Keppra half life is 8-10 hours;Plasma half life is 7 -/+ 1 hr. Peak is one hour after taking it assuming you were not eating at the time (that causes an effect slightly).

--Travis

Old 09-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Thank you very much. This kind of places it all together then on my dr's decisions.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's good of you to question your Dr's decisions if they seemed abnormal from before.

I know I challanged my blood levels when they were high last time; even demanded a liver test to verify everything was working properly. Compared it to last liver test (about 18 months before). As long as they were not sky high or very low and close to how they had come back before I was satisfied for the liver function test results.

Makes me feel like a Parent watching out for a child. However being told everything is fine, and sometimes mislead you have to learn on your own and become your own advocate.

--Travis

Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

How are you doing with the side effects of the Topamax so far?
I remember you had some concerns.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Well I am still only on the 25mg along with the 125mg of Keppra in the morning and night. I only got the tingling once or twice. So far so good. I do have a bit more anxiety but I am trying to look at it as energy. I increase on Monday to 50mg at night. So we'll see!

Thanks for asking

Last edited by j2006; 09-29-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

I forgot to mention about the energy burst. Now that I'm not driving, I'm finding lots of stuff to do around the house. I can't tell you how much stuff I've organized and gotten accomplished with this energy. I've painted and redecorated my dining room. I've even taken up walking when I've never walked before. It's all good!

Glad to hear you're doing well.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I am just so scared because I have panic and anxiety. So I am trying to look at it as if I have energy instead of anxiety.

And by the way..... I just cleaned out the closets, and some other things that I have been putting off.

I am so glad that I am finally off the couch. Keppra I feel was not a good fit for me. I am hoping that increasing the Topa wll onlyhave slight side effects for a bit as I did well with the 25.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

With these energy bursts, I think I organized every friggin closet in my house, lol. I understand your concerns. If you see anything out of the ordinary, please be sure to mention it to your doctor right away.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I've been on 50 mg twice a day now for about 2 weeks (I guess- time has become some abstract idea). I'm a slug. I go back this week, and anticipate a dose increase. I'm almost off of the Tegretol, and that was the reason he didn't go higher past the first 4 weeks (and I was supposed to see him in a month, but he was booked). Do some imagery, and teleport some of that anxiety, or energy, or whatever it is this way, will ya ? LOL. I feel like a friggin roach under a steamroller !!!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've noticed time no longer seems to occur at the same speed if that make any logic. What would have been a week pre topamax now feels like two weeks; but when looking back it seems shorter. Hard to explain the time distortion.

The day itself (every day) seems to drag, however over long periods of time it is like, where did all the time go? Late winter I was in Florida, and that doesn't seem that long back.

Hope that helps explain what I've felt under it.

--Travis

Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I know exactly what you mean! I had to ask someone the other day what day it was !! I didn't have the energy to get up and check the TV for that info. And calendars were useless, since I was clueless !!

Even today, I had to think about what I watched on TV last night, and then remember that I've got appts tomorrow (so left notes in the kitchen). Time totally gets scrambled !!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Yesterday off the keppra and increased my Topa to 50mg last night. slept the entire night - which is rare - felt great this morning and then at noon I felt like I hit a brick wall. ANXIETY big time and i felt like I was in a dream. WEIRD. I know I have to give this time but what the heck! Usually with other meds i have taken (SSRIs) it had taken 4 weeks to know what I will feel like on a med. Is it the case with these types of meds?

Please help!

Closed Thread