It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
(male)

limeridge11 HB User
Has surgery changed you

Hi there the reason I am bring this subject up is all because I had it. It has really changed me in bad ways. Example I was having 5-6 seizures a day which is not good. I now maybe get 1-2 a month a lot better. Now I know to you it's like well don't complain there it's not that. Before surgery I use to be in with friends love getting together with people and family. Now after my surgery I don't bother with people don't really want friends no more and mood swings. I was checked out for all that they did say surgery in some people it can cause that. Do any of you go threww that at all. Mind you I do go to the gym chat with people volunteer also let me know thanks Limeridge.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Has surgery changed you

I know exactly what ur talking about, I had seizures for 20 yrs and spells of 16 a month. I had my surgery 5 months ago and became seizure free. It was extremely hard at first to adjust to a new life w/o seizures and it still is, when u look around and find urslef unable to drive or do things u used to. I do have lots of mood changes which i feel i cant control, but i try. I try to keep myself occupied by traveling, going out, making friends, and looking towards a better future. Its not easy and I knew this b4 my surgery, but its not the same knowing it than living it, so its a bit hard, but I dont give up, instead i keep my mind busy. It only a matter of time until the person adjusts to their life change, I just hope my brain dont take too long..lol Best of Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
(male)

logger HB User
Lightbulb Re: Has surgery changed you

a changed man i am yes indeed !

after having my left temporal lobe removed i have gone to almost zero seizures but as you may know the left temporal lobe is our main memory source and a lot of my memory capability has been reduced - both long and short term. my seizures and meds had already reduced my long term memory but following the surgery i have been told multiple times by others that i don't "act my age", sometimes said in a derogatory manner. for god's sake how can someone who is 48 act like a 20-30 year old!

i guess i don't act "mature" enough at times and they don't understand how i could possibly question any belief or tradition. because of that i guess i have few human friends, but strangely enough i don't seem to miss that for whatever reason.

perhaps one is as young as one feels......

logger

Last edited by logger; 09-30-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
(male)

limeridge11 HB User
Re: Has surgery changed you

Quote:
Originally Posted by logger View Post
a changed man i am yes indeed !

after having my left temporal lobe removed i have gone to almost zero seizures but as you may know the left temporal lobe is our main memory source and a lot of my memory capability has been reduced - both long and short term. my seizures and meds had already reduced my long term memory but following the surgery i have been told multiple times by others that i don't "act my age", sometimes said in a derogatory manner. for god's sake how can someone who is 48 act like a 20-30 year old!

i guess i don't act "mature" enough at times and they don't understand how i could possibly question any belief or tradition. because of that i guess i have few human friends, but strangely enough i don't seem to miss that for whatever reason.

perhaps one is as young as one feels......

logger

Yes I understand that to. The problem I really had with my surgery is memory loss. Peoples namesa etc.. I have like papers all over my house to remember this and that. This past week I have bought these tape recorders that fit in your pocket they are great just a thought there. Limeroidge

Closed Thread