HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Epilepsy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/)
-   -   I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/538467-i-need-info-tle-epilepsy-diagnosed-30-years-ago.html)

Smurphgirl 09-30-2007 08:56 AM

I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago

I am a 61 year old woman who was diagnosed with TLE more than thirty years ago. I began having seizures when I was 2 or three years old. The doctor told my mother I was tempermental and not to worry. The seizures were intermittent and usually only lasted a few minutes. As I got older I became aware of certain symptoms that would occure prior to a seizure. Strange odors, bolt of lightning pain above my right eye, bright glowing lights surrounding objects and so on. I also suffered from severe, debilitating migraine headaches. When I was around 9 the seizures dissappeared. Then returned again when I was in my early twenties. The symptoms were the same but also included new ones such as , vivid, terrifying nightmres, auditory hallucinations and unexplained gaps in time (usually no more than an hour or two) with no memory of what I said or did during the missing time. My seizures were less frequent, one or two a month, but lasted longer, five to ten minutes. Finally I was diagnosed in my mid-thirties with Temporl Lobe Epilepsy. I was prescribed several different medications which helped but nothing eliminated the seizures completely. By the time I was in my mid forties I felt the seizures had stopped and over time I stopped taking my medication. Recently the seizures have returned and while they are mild I am concerned and am looking for more information on TLE. I currently live in Mexico and plan on returning to the US for a thorough check up but want to be more informed on TLE this time so I can ask intelligent questions.

neurowreck 09-30-2007 05:25 PM

Re: I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago

There are some excellent books on partial seizures and seizures in general, as well as articles online. Temporal lobe epilepsy is a form of complex partial seizure. If these started at 2 years old, do you know if you had any febrile seizures when you were that age or younger? Any head injuries? (I also have complex partial seizures- am 43, and have had them 20+ years, but couldn't get anyone to believe my strange complaints until I was on my own working, and had my own insurance to find a doctor).

There are so many new meds now for partial seizures than there were even 15 years ago.

Before going in for an MD visit, and referral to a neurologist, I'd do some online article searches- those will give you a lot of info fast, and help you with questions to ask the doc, as well as remind you of things in your own history that may help him/her help you :) Lots of good support here- keep writing, and let folks know how you're doing:)

porterville 10-01-2007 01:23 AM

Re: I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago

Hi

Please do not be a neurowreck. We all have our problems with epilepsy. I am 64 years old.

The odors and other stuff you have are called auras (a warning that a seizure is coming on). I have had seizures since I was 6 years old. My sister stopped her meds on her own and her seizures came back worse than before.

See a doc as soon as you can. See if you need meds. If you do, start taking them and do not stop them without a docs oders.

Just look up epilepsy on the internet and you will find out about TLE.

Love Ruth:cool: