It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

Smurphgirl HB User
Question I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago

I am a 61 year old woman who was diagnosed with TLE more than thirty years ago. I began having seizures when I was 2 or three years old. The doctor told my mother I was tempermental and not to worry. The seizures were intermittent and usually only lasted a few minutes. As I got older I became aware of certain symptoms that would occure prior to a seizure. Strange odors, bolt of lightning pain above my right eye, bright glowing lights surrounding objects and so on. I also suffered from severe, debilitating migraine headaches. When I was around 9 the seizures dissappeared. Then returned again when I was in my early twenties. The symptoms were the same but also included new ones such as , vivid, terrifying nightmres, auditory hallucinations and unexplained gaps in time (usually no more than an hour or two) with no memory of what I said or did during the missing time. My seizures were less frequent, one or two a month, but lasted longer, five to ten minutes. Finally I was diagnosed in my mid-thirties with Temporl Lobe Epilepsy. I was prescribed several different medications which helped but nothing eliminated the seizures completely. By the time I was in my mid forties I felt the seizures had stopped and over time I stopped taking my medication. Recently the seizures have returned and while they are mild I am concerned and am looking for more information on TLE. I currently live in Mexico and plan on returning to the US for a thorough check up but want to be more informed on TLE this time so I can ask intelligent questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago

There are some excellent books on partial seizures and seizures in general, as well as articles online. Temporal lobe epilepsy is a form of complex partial seizure. If these started at 2 years old, do you know if you had any febrile seizures when you were that age or younger? Any head injuries? (I also have complex partial seizures- am 43, and have had them 20+ years, but couldn't get anyone to believe my strange complaints until I was on my own working, and had my own insurance to find a doctor).

There are so many new meds now for partial seizures than there were even 15 years ago.

Before going in for an MD visit, and referral to a neurologist, I'd do some online article searches- those will give you a lot of info fast, and help you with questions to ask the doc, as well as remind you of things in your own history that may help him/her help you Lots of good support here- keep writing, and let folks know how you're doing

Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
(female)

porterville HB User
Re: I need info on TlE Epilepsy....Diagnosed 30 years ago

Hi

Please do not be a neurowreck. We all have our problems with epilepsy. I am 64 years old.

The odors and other stuff you have are called auras (a warning that a seizure is coming on). I have had seizures since I was 6 years old. My sister stopped her meds on her own and her seizures came back worse than before.

See a doc as soon as you can. See if you need meds. If you do, start taking them and do not stop them without a docs oders.

Just look up epilepsy on the internet and you will find out about TLE.

Love Ruth

Closed Thread