It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

Donna52 HB User
brushing teeth can cause seizures?

I was watching the news a few months ago and they were talking about seizures that were caused by brushing one's teeth. It had something to do with the rhythmic(sp) motion of the face and mouth while brushing. Gosh, does that mean that I could also have a seizure while washing my hair?? Although that doesn't involve my mouth in any way, it would be considered a rhythmic motion, and I'm probably making quite a few faces here and there Sorry...maybe it's a stupid question to be asking, but seriously, can this be true?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: brushing teeth can cause seizures?

I can definitely see how this could be true. Certain repetitive motions always made me feel like I was on the verge of a simple-partial seizure. One example is when I had a pedicure a few weeks ago, and they have these massage chairs you sit in, and I turned it on, and the repetitive motion of the massage chair made me feel all funny like I was going to have a seizure, so I had to turn the chair off. I'm sure someone more sensitive could get a seizure from brushing their teeth or washing their hair. But it probably depends on the person and the types of triggers they have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

Donna52 HB User

I do have epilepsy myself, I should have stated that in my message. I wasn't in any way making fun of that study or people who have them. When they said brushing ones teeth could cause a seizure, it made me think of every time I wash my hair. Seems I'm basically doing the same thing as far as repetitive motions like you said. I was diagnosed as having Temporal Lobe seizures when I was around 4 years old. But the ones I've been having for the past few years are more like simple partial seizures. They last no more than 15 seconds and I'm aware of my surroundings, etc. I can pretty much go about what I was doing when one comes on. One thing I've learned is if the medication that you are taking is controlling your seizures and you haven't had one for quite awhile, DON'T let your doctor take you off of your medicine!! My doctor took me off of mine, and they came back!! Not only did they come back, but now I can't get them completely under control. We are nothing more than guinea pigs as far as neurologists are concerned. I wouldn't just say neurologists, but ALL doctors!! I guess that's why they say doctors "practice" medicine.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
(female)

wild__horses HB User
Wink Re: brushing teeth can cause seizures?

I had my first seizure when brushing my teeth. But I think it was from turning on the light above the mirror. It was in the morning and I had just woken up. Went into the dark bathroom and flipped on the light and began to brush my teeth. So could it have something to do with light. Many bathrooms have that light right above the mirror. I dont turn it on anymore. I have another low watt light in the bathroom.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #5
(female)

tatie HB User

Hello,
I too did have one of my first seizures whilst brushing my teeth although I can not say with all certainty it was whilst the mtion of brushing my teeth I went to brush my teeth and didnt get back to my room when I cam to i was on the floor, I just went back to be feeling a little odd and my oothbrush was found on the floor the next day,..... I have on several occasions had auras or partial seizures whilt washing my hair more in between an aura and a partial ...... i get the nausea and the ringing in the ears and sometimes some repative jerking.... and at the time I know it is occuring I just cannot stop it... and almost feel as though I am watching it happen

Closed Thread