It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 AM   #1
(female)

window HB User
Very First Grand Mal

Hi,
My husband had a GM for the first time last night. He is 40. CT scan ruled out a tumor but found a little veinous abnormality which the doc believes is probably nothing. He is scheduled to have an MRI and EEG next week along with his first appt with a neuro.
He now can't drive for at least 3 months and has been put on sodium valproate (Epilem)500mg twice a day.

If they find nothing....which is very possible.....could he be dx as an epileptic forever now?

The not driving thing is going to make his life hell because we live in the country and he needs to commute to work....(very little public transport available).

I know the meds are for a very good reason, but I worry that it might be something that might cause more problems than benefits at this stage. His job requires him to be fully alert and highly functional all the time.

I hate the fact that we have to rely so much on the 'experts' to determine what happens next.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a GM and not have epilepsy when everything else has been ruled out?

Is there anyone who has a similar story?

What questions should he be asking the neuro?

Sorry If I sound a bit anxious, but it has really thrown us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Very First Grand Mal

Try and list ANY over the counter meds (diet pills) suppliments that may have been taken. If any stimulants were taken (caffine) or if the person drank a beer that evening at dinner. Any or all of these may have had an effect (or not).

The food that day and week before, try and write it down best you can. If it was normal meal or not. If meat was not cooked properly that could have been the problem if others were sick as well from the meal.

The environment the person was exposed to (possible toxins) could have caused an episode of this nature. Such as heavy metals, farming chemicals, fuels, etc. The bodies reaction to trying to rid itself of the toxins may appear to look like a seizure if it is a once only occurance (and not neurological).

Elongated exposure to chemicals can build up can cause a seizure like episode all of a sudden if the person has been in that environment for (years) a long time. Such industries are metal treating (plating, chrome, electro plating; when masks are not used) Heating industry (asbestos) (also in auto) (I had an uncle that suffered from chemical exposure in the auto industry).

Hope that helps you with some lines to follow.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

ann77 HB User
Re: Very First Grand Mal

I had my first - and hopefully only - Grand Mal almost 6 months ago - I had never even fainted in my life before! It was a total shock to my whole family - I had numerous tests - none revealed any reason! The only thing they can even suspect is I had taken an over-the-counter allergy pill that day... and an ingredient in that pill (psuedo...something) can cause seizures. So... I won't be taking that pill again... I have gone the whole time w/o driving... my driving date is a little over a week away. I completely understand the shock your family feels... fortunately, my job wasn't the 'bread-winner', so I could quit work and make it not driving. I felt very fortunate to even be alive... since I was only 5 minutes off the Interstate when I had my seizure!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
(male)

TINK777 HB User
Wink Re: Very First Grand Mal

WINDOW i am having treetment now for a arterio malformation mine a quite large one using radio sergury theres nowt to it . but when they put me on epilim (sodium valporate) from tegretol they increased to 5 and 6 somtimes in one day all i am saying is be careful for a while . i am back on tgs and fit free 6 months take care

Closed Thread