It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

mezzedup HB User
How do you face and deal with insomnia? HELP ASAP

Sorry problems adding up and no idea how to resolve it.

I've slept about 7 hours altogether since sat. or sunday (got mixed up with days as it seems to be an ongoing long single day).

I told the fam. doc and before I finished explaining he was already writing down a prescrition for Halcion 0,25mg (triazolam).

Never taken such kind of medication so was unaware that it is not recomended in my case with what i am already taking.

I am left with two choices.... keep the insomnia till I drop or go into seizure or take my risks using it? I am having ongoing absences which i think is due to sleep depravation....

Anyone has had to deal with insomnia? If so how have you resousilved the problem without the use of such type medication?

Am willing to try anything 'healthy' to sleep. HELP !!!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: How do you face and deal with insomnia? HELP ASAP

I posted about this several days ago and didn't get any responses here after about 30 hours, so I guess none were coming. I was pretty desperate for some sleep also, so I totally sympathize with what you're going through. I too, didn't want to resort to sleep meds. I was also afraid of going into a seizure from lack of sleep. I was averaging only 3 hours a night, when I always needed 9 hours before starting the Topamax.

I'm certain my lack of sleep was purely due to the Topamax. I don't remember what seizure meds you're on, but I really believe that this drug -in addition to controlling appetite, also fooled my brain into not recognizing fatigue (at least that's how my body reacts to it - as I'm on constant overdrive here). I have to remind myself to eat, and remind myself to sleep, it's very weird. Anyway, I adjusted the timing of my dose on my own, taking it at dinnertime, instead of bedtime last night, and it did help somewhat. I did it again today and hopefully I'll get another halfway decent night sleep tonight again.

Any chance you're on Topamax? Guess I should have asked you that first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mezzedup HB User

Well, i am not on Topamax but different medication. I try to talk myself to get some sleep yet my two hours' sleep aren't enough and resent from it.

Anyhow.... I did take my chances and tried it out but it hasn't been very helpful ; no changes in the number of hours; just a deeper sleep) and paid the price today. Negative heavy and scary side effects.

I will NOT repeat this mistake. And say i had taken half the dose prescribed wow!

The chemist told me to talk about this problem directly to the neuro as he-she alone knows what is best in our case (adding that the fam. doc. is not aware nor specialized in epil. matters and knows very little of it so cant rely on him-her about such issues).

Hope this will help you some.......

p.s. obviously each case is different so my advice is to call up your neuro and if you cant reach him-her directly, leave a message so to be called back and be advised.

Good luck and wish you a better sleep pattern.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Well, adjusting the time of my medication did help me. Maybe it's mind over matter, but I was able to sleep until 4:30 for the second night in a row. Now that I'm finally beginning to sleep more, I'm hoping this will resolve soon. I was literally going non-stop and feeling so sleep-deprived, but I still love the Topamax and will undoubtedly remain on it. It's controlling my seizures, controlling my appetite, controlling my fatigue and I still stand behind this drug 100%.

As a sidenote, I am also a lupus patient and controlling weight and fatigue is very difficult in lupus patients...so when an epilepsy medication comes along such as Topamax that promises to do both-in addition to controlling my seizures (while also delivering on those promises), you don't dismiss it too quickly. So now, my weight, fatigue and seizures are all being controlled by one single medication. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Anyway, I'm glad you will be talking to your neurologist. I definitely do not recommend lowering your dosage of medication. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-04-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Topamax gave me insane insomnia where I was up for days on end sometimes. Try melatonin. Both that and Lorazapam have helped me with my insomnia.

I've used Lunesta before and that helped me too but it made everything metallic-tasting.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Thanks for the information on the melatonin. I did a really quick search and found that it is not recommended for people with systemic lupus. I'm seeing my neurologist tomorrow and will ask him about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-04-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: correction needed

Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Just wanted to post an update. The neurologist gave the go ahead for the melatonin and I bought the maximum strength dose (5 mg). last night. It's 5:30 a.m. now and I've been awake for 3 hours, lol. I will try it for a week and see if it makes a difference. I'm not sure if it works immediately or takes awhile to build up in your system. TKM, would you know the answer to this?

Closed Thread