It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

Kimwwe HB User
Really Need Advice

Hi,
I have written here before about my grand mal seizures which just started this year at the age of 40. I just went in for a long term EEG which showed spikes all over. I am already on Xanax and the doctor just put me on Keppra. But my issue is that the night I go off the Xanax, in which I did in the hopsital for the testing, I get horrible auras right away. I will hear a siren in my ears all night, other noises, they are magnified, time comes to a stand still literally. It is a horrible feeling. I have not heard much of anyone else saying they get these auras.
So I asked the Neuro Doctor. Why is it that the Xanax helps, it's not even for Epilepsy, but she says they also use it for Epilepsy and to stay on it. My only concern is I already take 2 mg pills four times a day. What if my body gets adjusted too much to it and it stops working. They can't go much higher than that. Maybe the Keppra will help, but so far Lamactal, Zonegram and depekote have not helped without bad side effects. Just seeing if these auras sound familiar to anyone. Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Really Need Advice

Reading a quick overview, It (Xanax) works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA).

Topa on the other hand, increases GABA receptors (based on a text I have)...

Sounds the reverse that they would want to use one would think. Then again I am only a patient and do NOT know technical.

I thought Xanax was used for weight loss from what I remember years ago.

Hope that small bit helps.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwwe View Post
Hi,
I have written here before about my grand mal seizures which just started this year at the age of 40. I just went in for a long term EEG which showed spikes all over. I am already on Xanax and the doctor just put me on Keppra. But my issue is that the night I go off the Xanax, in which I did in the hopsital for the testing, I get horrible auras right away. I will hear a siren in my ears all night, other noises, they are magnified, time comes to a stand still literally. It is a horrible feeling. I have not heard much of anyone else saying they get these auras.
So I asked the Neuro Doctor. Why is it that the Xanax helps, it's not even for Epilepsy, but she says they also use it for Epilepsy and to stay on it. My only concern is I already take 2 mg pills four times a day. What if my body gets adjusted too much to it and it stops working. They can't go much higher than that. Maybe the Keppra will help, but so far Lamactal, Zonegram and depekote have not helped without bad side effects. Just seeing if these auras sound familiar to anyone. Thank you!!
Klonopin is used for seizure control as well. It is longer lasting in your system than xanax. You could talk to your doctor about maybe switching to that medication.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

My mom was on Xanax for years for anxiety. When she switched doctors, her new doctor took her off of it right away because he said it's only supposed to be a temporary med and has bad long-term effects. When she was going off of it, she had some really bad withdrawal symptoms.
Your symptoms when you stop taking Xanax could be withdrawal symptoms that cause auras, since you're already succeptible to seizures.
Just my opinion.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I agree with asking ur doctor to withdraw the xanax because this is a very strong med used for enxiety problems and only worsens the epilepsy, speaking from my experience. I was 17 when my mother forced my doctor to get me the xanax or she would make me stop it, because is very addictive and it only worsened my attacks. The withdrawal from the med just made my nerves worst and it took awhile to adjust to a new AEM. This is my experience, but I wish u the best of luck, and get a second opinion..

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

I agree w/ Sentence Doing. I have been on Ativan which is in the same family of meds and also used to treat anxiety. Whenever I don't take it for whatever reason (I run out, don't get to the pharmacy), I get auras. You need to be weened of these meds (valium, xanax, ativan) and not stop taking them cold turkey or you can have severe side effects.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
(female)

Kimwwe HB User

Thanks for the advice. Sentence doing and Topa are right. I never thought the cold turkey withdrawal, even though only a 24 hour period, is probably starting the auras. I will have to wean off because I take a high amount to begin with. I just wish the auras weren't so scary. I don't like being up all night feeling like it's days with sirens and other noises going on. I wouldn't wish this on anyone but I never really hear anyone else have these auras so maybe it is the Xanax itself that's doing it.

Kim

Closed Thread