It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

planktown HB User
Thumbs up Long memory loss

I had short memory loss attacks and was prescribed keppra. I went without a memory loss for 5 months then the memory losses returned as long memory losses. I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar position as I cannot get any information as to what happens to you when you have an attack. My first long memory happened while I was on public transport but I am rather concerned that if I was walking could I keep walking ( as in short attacks ) and place myself in a dangerous position or can I just fall down on the ground??. I hope somebody can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
(female)

valeriedl HB User
Re: Long memory loss

I don't know if this is the same as what you are talking about or not, but when I first found out I had ep, I had a major grand mal attack and was in the hospital for 6 weeks. I found out that I had lost over 10 years of memory (bits and peices were there, but not many)

When ever I would have a sez I would loose days, even weeks of memory. I recently got a VNS implant and it has helped with the sezs and some of the memory loss, but most of the memory loss is now things that happened months ago, but it still goes on. It seems for every month that goes by, I loose one that happened.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mezzedup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktown View Post
I had short memory loss attacks and was prescribed keppra. I went without a memory loss for 5 months then the memory losses returned as long memory losses. I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar position as I cannot get any information as to what happens to you when you have an attack. My first long memory happened while I was on public transport but I am rather concerned that if I was walking could I keep walking ( as in short attacks ) and place myself in a dangerous position or can I just fall down on the ground??. I hope somebody can help.
Hi planktown. I am trying to find similar info for a long time either searching into epilepsy related issues or mental illnesses issues (both problems are common and at times related as I found out).

Till now its to no avail...... no clear and definitive answers found...... and still loosing memory both in short and long term so I know how it feels and how stressful it can be on one's system.

As to your wondering about placing or finding yourself in 'dangerous' situations it is a risk but would it be mild or else, I am not the person to answer this....... I know for a fact that it is in my case which add to the stress but do hope nothing serious will come of it in others cases.

You might fall to the ground, if you get some kind of seizure so my best advice in this would be to pay attention to any change in your perception.... isolate yourself or as I do, find the nearest wall and let yourself slide down so that you wont 'hit' the floor too hard. There is nothing wrong in asking a passerby to assist you in crossing the road if you feel 'weird' either..... better safe thas sorry.

I will bring this issue to my neuro at my next apt. as it is getting way out of hand and fear of its outcome in the future.

At my last seizure (it was a bad one) I have forgotten the episode and most of the following week if not bits and pieces and still cant tellwhat i did or ate at lunch or if i even acutally had lunch..... that's bad so should you see your neuro soon, DO tell him-her about this and be as explicit as you can be... detail it in a notebook so you wont forget anything related to this issue.

One question for you..... Are you sleeping well? enough hours? How do you feel during day time if you had a sufficient night sleep?

Should anyone reading these posts, please do inform us if you know of sites discussing these issues...... they are very important to us....... (if you cant give the url ... dont know what the rules of the forum are..... the title of your search as TYPED without saing which search engines used as it is forbidden naming search engines).

Best of luck Planktown

Old 10-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mezzedup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriedl View Post
I don't know if this is the same as what you are talking about or not, but when I first found out I had ep, I had a major grand mal attack and was in the hospital for 6 weeks. I found out that I had lost over 10 years of memory (bits and peices were there, but not many)

When ever I would have a sez I would loose days, even weeks of memory. I recently got a VNS implant and it has helped with the sezs and some of the memory loss, but most of the memory loss is now things that happened months ago, but it still goes on. It seems for every month that goes by, I loose one that happened.
Very familiar dear Valeriedl. I'd have a question for you..... what is a VNS impolant? Its function, or use, how it is suppose to help and how you feel about it since you had it done?

From what i undersatnd the implant hasn't improve your memory loss .... was it worth in the end having it done or was it done for another aim than 'memory loss'?

Lts of questions sorry....... and sorry for typing ...... vision is blurred and cant see if not from a very small moon like at the bottom of my eyes so have to raise the head way backward to see what i do .... a bit of patience with me please. Doing my best.

mezzezup

Closed Thread