It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
(male)

limeridge11 HB User
Forgetting names etc.

Hi there I have always been bad for forgetting peoples names and things that have to be done now. I can remember things way way back like from school work etc. I can remember my first grade teach and people in my class there. Now it's like peoples name I could meet someone named john say 2 minutes later it's like what was his name again. It does get to you forgetting everything. I do have a little book to remember things that have to be done. Now name wise I have come up with things that ryme. Like lets say they persons name is jack I will always think of the word stack. I have doen it for a year or so it does work.

How do you people do with your job or anything that your doing for someone and you forget what they just told you to do. The following day same thing what you have to do again do any of you have these problems if so let me know what you do there thanks Limeridge

Old 10-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: Forgetting names etc.

Many of us with E seem to suffer from short term memory loss. It is sooooo frustrating. I went to cognitive therapy for this exact problem after I had a small stroke and multiple seizures and they taught me different skills to help me remember. Granted, it's not a miracle cure by any means, but it did help somewhat. The rhyming tricks worked well, as well as many other associations, but I just can't simply list them all here.

I write EVERYTHING down, I mean everything. I have a calendar on my counter with all of my appointments on them and in addition to that...daily post it notes with the day's activities are stuck on my cabinets so they're literally in my face where I can't miss them. I did try the Palm Pilot (electronic organizer) for my dr. appts. but I just found that way too confusing for me to keep up with.

Other things I've found helpful with remembering is my watch with an alarm to remind me to take my pills. Pill boxes with my pills already sorted out for the week so I know whether or not I've taken my pills for that day. Pad and paper literally by the phone because I cannot remember messages, even 30 seconds later.

If I must remember something that I wasn't able to write down, I will try to match it to a song in my head. For example: I need to pick up items at a store, I'll put it to a song, such as "row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream". Ex. "milk, eggs, cheese and fruit, don't forget the soup.."..got it? Hope this helps.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-15-2007 at 04:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

I can completely understand. I have yet to be successfully diagnosed as my neuros canít seem to decide on my disorder but I too have horrible memory problems. I mean, it can be really embarrassing. Just the other day, I was driving to my sisterís house. She told me to simply drive down about five more exits on the highway and I would know my way from there. I really like to drive my usual route because I am more comfortable. I must have called her 5 times as I forgot which exit it was. My family knows that I have bad memory problems and I am very thankful that they are patient with me. I write things on my hands a lot. It is very unprofessional and stupid looking but I forget so easily.

I too have sticky notes around my house but I have found that organization has helped me a lot. I have my calendar on my bedroom door along with my bills, party invitations, appointments, to do lists, grocery lists, ECT. I get so over whelmed with my Ďlistsí that I just keep them in one place and update them as I go. I too forget names. I just see how long I can get away with it for. I havenít tried using a song, that it a good idea. I think Iím going to try that.
Best of luck on your memories!

Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

If I'm not mistaken, I think the sing-songy tunes incorporate a different part of the brain. I "think" that's what the cognitive therapist said. I'm not too sure because I forgot - LOL!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
(male)

limeridge11 HB User

Thanks for your replys, Yes the song is great I do to use things like that. With names I usually ryme them. sometimes it could be tim I would think of that person as tim hortons it does work. Yes in my kitchen notes everywhere I get up in the morning and first thing I do is check it out. I just hate when people say hi and then they say my name is because they know my memory is very bad. Yes like my DR. said always read and read small chapters she is right it does work. Keep in touch people limeridge...

Old 10-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Juljul22,

With regard to directions, I realize I didn't respond to that when I replied. Even after years of traveling certain routes, I'm embarassed to say, I still have to ask for directions. For some reason, the routes still don't sink in. I finally gave in and had my husband buy me a GPS thing for my birthday. I tell you, that was THE best investment he could have ever made. I've tried tricking that thing and I can't get lost if I've tried! Guess my husband still wants me to find my way home, lol.

Too bad, my driver's license is currently under suspension from the seizures now. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope to get it back soon. But that little GPS system is a life saver!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I also remember things from a long time ago (floor plan of aparment when I was 2 years old- dad confirmed it, and then had to go sit down= couldn't believe how accurate it was). But ask me what the date is today, and I need my calendar. I can figure it out, but I need the thing in front of me. (or cheat and go turn on a channel that posts the date on it's screen).

Since I'm on disability, I don't have the need to keep days straight like I used to, except for appointments. And I have to write all of those down.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

I found something today I thought would be helpful. In fact I picked one up today. It's a little device that records for about 20 seconds and costs about $10. It would be perfect to remember directions or a small list of grocery items. I got it at a local linen chain store but I'm sure you can find them anywhere. Just wanted to pass this along.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-16-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
(male)

limeridge11 HB User

yes they are great have one

Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I'd forget to record in it !! lol

Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

You are too funny, lol!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
(male)

limeridge11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by life_is_good View Post
You are too funny, lol!

Yes a recorder is good but I forget to use it. So I use a monthly day to day book they are great..

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeridge11 View Post
Yes a recorder is good but I forget to use it. So I use a monthly day to day book they are great..
Oh, like a daily planner? Never used one. It's probably better than trying to fit all of my plans into a tiny square on a calendar. I'll give it a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
(male)

limeridge11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by life_is_good View Post
Oh, like a daily planner? Never used one. It's probably better than trying to fit all of my plans into a tiny square on a calendar. I'll give it a try, thanks for the suggestion.

No problem there have use that this year get up every morning and look at the book. I have to say it does work. What ever people say to me in the day I write what I have to write then put it in the book. Hope that helps. Limeridge

Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

TypeR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeridge11 View Post
No problem there have use that this year get up every morning and look at the book. I have to say it does work. What ever people say to me in the day I write what I have to write then put it in the book. Hope that helps. Limeridge
I'm in same situation but have been in this situation since pre-teen years. Mom used to get so mad/thought I was not obeying her but after a period of time realized I wasn't doing this on purpose. Once she had me creating lists for things I needed to do there was an instant change in me.

Closed Thread