It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

babygurl21 HB User
Epilepsy and Depression

Hey there everyone! I was wondering if others felt the way I did. I feel like there is no way out no matter what meds I take no matter what foods I eat. I feel stuck. I feel as though I am never going to get better. I try to look on the bright side of things I pray and ask God to help me deal, but it just seems to only be temporary. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way? Please help

Thanks so much,
Leigh Anne

Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: Epilepsy and Depression

I am so sorry you are dealing with depression on top of the epilepsy. Epilepsy alone is hard enough to deal with; I can't begin to imagine having to deal with depression compounded on top of that. I know there are plenty of people here that do deal with it, and I'm sure they will be able to offer some advice. Please hang in there and know that you are not alone. This board is terrific for support.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-16-2007 at 03:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
(female)

babygurl21 HB User

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts and support. And yes dealing with depression along with Epilepsy is hard, but all I can do is pray. Some days I just don't feel like it helps but that is just part of it. I don't know really anybody like me so it is really hard. So, I was real excited when I found this site. I am sure everybody else was too. God bless you both and keep your heads up and I will continue to do so as well.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

I feel that way later in life. when I was younger, my outlook was a lot more positive. I knew I had family to support me. Now, as an adult, my father has died and my mother is battling cancer. I have had medication problems since my dilantin stopped working a few years ago (worked for 16 years with no problems). I'm on Keppra now and while it's a whole lot better than the Topamax, it's insanely expensive (I'm uninsured) and I have rage issues (Topamax made me depressed and anxious, now I just get angry).

Old 10-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
(female)

LesBleux HB User

I was going to ask if anyone had experienced depression after surgery. I just underwent a lobectomy on Sept. 21st having my right lobe removed. I've had epilepsy for over 40yrs. I thought it would be a Godsend and was really looking forward to it. I had visions of waking up to a new life but then I realized that I am the same old woman except that I've just been through this very invasive surgery and find it difficult to recover. I don't sleep and barely eat and I've been crying every day since coming home. I'm still taking Topamax for the time being and I've read that many of you don't like it. I try hard to think good positive thoughts, but the dark ones come especially once my husband leaves to go to work. Did anyone else get depressed? Did it last long? I hate to take more meds (anti depressants). I haven't any family around to look in on me during my recovery period and my husband has really stepped up to the plate, if I could just snap out of this glumness.

Thanks and take care

Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

sweetie is very normal to have these depression stages after surgery n depending on the process of ur brain it could be up to 3-4 months. I had my right anterior temporal lobe removed 6 months ago today and I went through many episodes of crying and feeling lonely even when my man was there w me, u cant avoid it it will take time. My sphyc did not put me on anti-depressants because they knew it would b a matter of time before I would b stronger mentaly and adjusted to a seizure free life. I mentaly helped myself by keeping accupied and talking to friends on the phone. My man also had to work n I would cry, but I wouldnt stay crying intead I would get up tell myself I was healing but the outcome of the surgery was the most important thing It helped me little by little everyday. Dont rush ur healing but help ur self mentaly by trying to be independant and keep occupied, it takes a while but it wont b impossible. Ill be around if u need someone to talk to...

Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #7
(female)

LesBleux HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I have a neighbour who takes me for short walks in our backyard and has brought me dinner a few times when my husband was at work. She's been very good, but I don't want to burden her with these stupid depressing thoughts. I tell myself everyday to think of good things (my son recently got engaged) and I need to eat more so I can start doing more for myself. I hope this doesn't last 3 mths because I'll have 5' of snow at my door and I'll never get outside! Anyway - I guess I'll get over it, I just wanted to know if it was part of the process. Congrats on your 6 month anniversary and thanks again for your advice.

Take care all of you

Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
(female)

tatie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBleux View Post
I was going to ask if anyone had experienced depression after surgery. I just underwent a lobectomy on Sept. 21st having my right lobe removed. I've had epilepsy for over 40yrs. I thought it would be a Godsend and was really looking forward to it. I had visions of waking up to a new life but then I realized that I am the same old woman except that I've just been through this very invasive surgery and find it difficult to recover. I don't sleep and barely eat and I've been crying every day since coming home. I'm still taking Topamax for the time being and I've read that many of you don't like it. I try hard to think good positive thoughts, but the dark ones come especially once my husband leaves to go to work. Did anyone else get depressed? Did it last long? I hate to take more meds (anti depressants). I haven't any family around to look in on me during my recovery period and my husband has really stepped up to the plate, if I could just snap out of this glumness.

Thanks and take care
Hello everyone......

I am undergoing right temple lobe surgery on the 12th of novermber too, I am 29 and suffer numerous types of seizures since I was 15.

I have had many times in my life where it has all gotten to much from simple times where I have just wanted to do what friends are doing.... to other times where you just feel like giving up.... to where babies have been on my mind....

I have had such a supportive medical team, I have a neuro psychitrist that has explained alot to me and has told me that it is possible to go through different levels of depression after surgery to being on such a high thinking your better and it was all worth it to being so afraid about the choice you have made and wandering why you just feel the same way....

I think involving yourself to wonderful places and talking to wonderful people that can understand what you are saying is a good place to start... support groups or counsellors is another place worth thinking of trying to be able to share with others....

A problem shared is a problem halved!!!!

your partner sounds very helpfull and a great support..

try to think positive, and try to see that we may have a few extra mountains to climb then some people..... but they can be climbed..

Take care of your self
trust in your ability to find peace and happiness with in yourself

tate xx

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

lesbleux this does sound like a very nice friend indeed, being around friends and fam is very helpful around this time, it did wonders for me. yes find things to occupy ur time and thing positive this is one of the best things u could have done. Tate I wish u the best on ur operation as well it sounds similar to mine, I know it will b a success n ur life will change for the best, stay positive n know we r here to help u, pray for u, and answer any question...take care ladies

Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
(female)

grinche41 HB User

Yes I was depressed for 8 weeks after the day of surgery from the anistecia.I called the doc after 4 wks in .Anestitia can have an after effect like that. Mark you calender. Cher Bear

Closed Thread