It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

george11 HB User
Help me to make a choice for myself and my future baby-in regards to seizure meds

I have been seizure free for 7 years, had numerous EEG's that are normal, and I want to get pregnant soon. I am taking Dilantin and plan on getting off this.. but I scared of the change and I have no idea what to do.. I am also too scared to go off it completely..

I would really appreciate any help and advice.. I so want to have a baby and just want my baby to be okay..

Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Help me to make a choice for myself and my future baby-in regards to seizure meds

hi George11 congrats on being seizure free for so long, but y are u still on meds after being free for all this time? I been free for 6 and cant wait for next year so i can stop the meds and have a child myself. According to all the neuros i spoken to many women who are epileptic and on their meds have healthy babies, and women who have just stopped their meds also have healthy babies. It is scary the transaction of daily meds for so long to none but most of the change is mental and the body will adjust quick as long as ur seizure free, if ur not sure if the seizures can return u can always ask the neuro to put u on a med during ur pregnancy that will not harm the child; also have a GYN check you to make sure ur pelvic is ready to carry the baby and no harm was caused by the meds you were on. Many women who suffer and suffered from epilepsy are proud mothers today and y dont see y u wouldn't b another 1..I wish u the best

Last edited by 030free; 10-15-2007 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add on

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
(female)

george11 HB User
Re: Help me to make a choice for myself and my future baby-in regards to seizure meds

thank you... my concern is that my mother was seizure free for 20 years and then had another one and I am scared of this occuring.

so i am terrified of going off it completely and I am terrified of the choice of going on something else..

I am choosing between Keprra and Lamictal any thoughts?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Another option is to (obviously with your MD's approval) slowly taper off, see how you do, hopefully get pregnant if things go well, and then if you'd feel better, go back on the meds.....

I haven't been on Lamictal....my mom was....she had dementia, so it's hard to know if she had side effects or not.....I was on Keppra= I had bad constspation-- bad enough that laxatives didn't work....had to go off of it. I wasn't on it long enough to know if it helped or not, which is a bummer.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

i been on Keppra for almost 2 years n have had no side effects that I can tell. In regards to been pregnant n on this pills Im not completly sure, but u could ask ur neuro which one would b the most harmless on u and the child.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
(male)

gary33 HB User

Dilantin, long term, has issues. see my other posts on this site. Keppra seems much better. Dilantin is a much older drug as well.

Closed Thread