It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User
Has anyone had an adverse reaction to the flu shot?

I am currently on 2000 mg of Keppra to battle epilepsy. I live w/ my mom who has multiple myeloma and has a low immune system so since the place I am currently working at was giving out flu shots today, I had one. I am feeling extremely nauseus, dizzy, my eyes are burning (a few people have commented on it) and congested. This is only about 5 hours later.

I am starting to feel concerned. Anybody ever experience this? I told the nurse I was epileptic and on Keppra but she didn't seem concerned that it would cause a reaction.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Has anyone had an adverse reaction to the flu shot?

You have to remember getting the flu shot GIVES you the flu so your body creates the antibodies to fend it off for the season. Most likely it is that reaction of being mildly sick.

Personally I NEVER get the shot.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

nerfmom HB User

I think that reactions to flu shots vary, but the shot doesn't give you the flu. It is after all, not a live virus that you are getting. The usual reaction is a sore arm and maybe a little non-specific under the weather feeling. My husband and I have gotten the shots for the last 2 years. We had them last week. I just had the sore arm and he didn't even have that. Last year, after taking the shots, we didn't even have as much as a cold all winter. We are older, so it is important for us to have protection against the flu.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

I was told last year by Tripp neuro NOT to get the flu shot.
I asked my GP today. He first ask had Tripp ever had the flu shot or the flu. I said neither...so he said NO FLU shot!!

Closed Thread