It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
(female)

tatie HB User
2 Weeks till My Surgery and So scared

Hello everyone...
surgery in 2 weeks and now it is so close just realised that I am really scared, but looking forward to it. more scared at the moment...
Just would love to hear from any one
I live in australia and am having the operation in sydney
Thankyou in advance for anyone that can share with me
I am 29 yeard old and have had seizures since i was 15. I am going to have surgery in 2 weeks, I am having a 2 stage proceedure, the 1st stage will involve stereotactic right frontal lobe craniotomy, where electrobes will be implanted to record information for a period of a week, where monitoring will occur, A week later I will return to have stage 2 where te electrobes will be removed and a cortical resection removed.
I am just wanting to know if any of you have undergone an operation like this or any surgery for that matter, or are looking into that as an option, and for anyone who has undergone surgery how you are fairing and your recovery period......
thank you so much for any one who responds..... and in advance I wish you all good health and happy times ahead..
thankyou
tate

Last edited by tatie; 10-21-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more feedback

Old 10-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
(male)

limeridge11 HB User
Re: about to have surgery

Hi there yes surgery the best for some people. I have had it and it does help. It was to the point where I would get 5-6 seizures a day now I can live a life. Just think positive the lord is with you. Yes a lot to go threw but if it interfers in your life then it's worth it. Good luck..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I haven't had the surgery, but have heard good things from people on here who have had various surgical procedures for their seizures.

Best wishes for a speedy, and seizure-free recovery

Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
(male)

TINK777 HB User
Thumbs up Re: about to have surgery

i have been under the gamma knife 6mths ago got go twice more for the treatment of a avm fit free now 9mths best wishes cos u now if it works its well worth it .xxxxxx

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

tatie I wrote to u on the other thread, I underwent right anterior temporal lobectomy 6 months ago after having seizures for 20 yrs. Well the surgery was a success and I dont regret doing it. I felt scared just like u but its normal. For 2 years I read, researched and spoke to friends here and stayed positive and i went through it. Yes there will b pain, you'll have to take it easy for a few months, no exercises, lots of rest, no bending down and avoid getting up from bed too quick. Ull feel dizzy, uncomfortable but its going to b for a short period of time. Dont rush ur recovery it'll take time but follow the surgeon and neuro's directions carefully. I had an 8 hour opration, and stayed 9 days in the hospital, I wasnt good with pain, but since the surgery I have 2 wisdom tooth pulled out n felt nothing, ur get strong trust me. Relax and try not to stress to much, stop taking any ibuphrofen if ur are like motrin or any aspirins is noy good. Also stop all alcoholic drinks if u take any, this will decrease any risk. There are risk w all surgeries, but if ur healthy and 29 the risk decrease. Im 26 and my surgery went well. I also checked my surgeon's background on his past surgeries and asked him personaly, he was great after 3,000 brain surgeries and I felt comfortable w him. I suggest u talk to him about any questions u might have and make sure he's very clear w u about the pre, during, and post procedure care. I know you'll b just fine and Im not sure about the laws there, but here I cant drive or stop my meds till I've gone 1 year free of seizures; im already free but have to wait 6 more months to stop all meds... I will keep u on my prayers and write me for any other questions u might have, I been back to my oldself since only 2 months ago but will never forget the details of my surgery and the recuperation period, Im happy I did it and you will b too, eventualy u forget about the pain..lol. I hope to hear from u as soon as u get better and are able to write again. Dont worry about time it took me awhile before I could look at the screen, I did lose my upper left eye coner vision permenatly but my surgeon told me b4 hand so I gave something to receive freedom, it was worth it...

Last edited by 030free; 10-25-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #6
(female)

tatie HB User

Thank you, Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou.....

I appreciate every one that has replied and those who have taken the time to read as well,,

I am going to enjoy my birthday on monday with no stress... all fun...

I am then pretty much be on my way to sydney which is a 10 hour drive from where I live....

Thankyou for all the advice and support all of you have offered...

I have been told i wont loose any motor functions such as language memory or vision.... all though they will never guarantee that.... and I can understand why and would expect them to do so.....

I ever knew though I am left handed although I have recently found out that I am infact ambidextrous in the last month or two I have learnt to be able to write with my right hand and can do andhave done for most of my life kicked right handed catch right handed and my strength in my hands are equal.... bit weird....

i am so so so happy to hear you have all done so well and are continuing.... I wish you too to continue to do so.....

thankyou for the little pieces of experince that i am sure i will find helpfull such as the bending over part....

I think I wil be leaving at the latest 4th-5th
If i do make another post before i leave
I will when I return home.....

thankyou again so much.... your invaluable

i lookforward to speaking again and hearing that you are all doing well

Take Care
live, love, laugh
Tate xx

Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

your very welcome and Happy Birthday to you in advanced... Your surgery will be a success and we will all be waiting to hear the great news of the outcome, Godbless you

Last edited by 030free; 10-27-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Closed Thread