It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
(male)

Azag HB User
Please Help! Unkown Episodes

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for taking the time to read the following. I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but hopefully itís a good start.

My name is Jeff and I am a 30 year old male in seemingly good health. A little over a year ago I start experiencing what I have been classifying as seizures at night. The first four to five months that they occurred I was single and living by myself. At the time I seem to remember a very vivid dream in which I could not awake no matter how hard I tried. I started to associate the episodes with late nights and moderate drinking. The episodes for the most part seem to be happening when I attempt to wake up to go to the bathroom. I have awoken a few times awkwardly twisted on the floor in the hallway and directly outside the bathroom.

A year ago now, my fiancť started living with me in my apartment. The first time she witnessed an episode she was rightly concerned and urged me to see a doctor as soon as possible. When I visited the doctor they immediately schedule and MRI and an EEG, both of which came back normal. I have not been back to a doctor concerning this issue since.

Oddly enough, the episodes seem to happen within the same days every month. I have been tracking the dates over the last 12 months and they always seem to happen between the 12th and 18th of every month and is usually between 2am and 6am in the morning. I have never had an episode while Iím awake.

According to my fiancť, I usually sit straight up in bed slapping myself in the face in a futile attempt to wake myself. My entire body tenses up and I sound as if Iím choking on my tongue. The episodes last anywhere from one to five minutes, I attempt to speak and can only mutter, and I always fall right back to sleep. My fiancť describes it as a deep sleep in which she cannot wake me from. When I awake in the morning I always look at my fiancť and ask if I had a seizure. From what Iíve read on the internet, people are usually unaware that an episode has taken place. My entire body is always sore, and I feel as if I have no energy. The last episode on August 16th actually caused me to urinate in bed.

Thank you for taking the time. Any concerns, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: Please Help! Unkown Episodes

Jeff,
It certainly sounds like seizure activity to me. Being that this is happening relatively the same week every month, perhaps you can suggest to your dr. that you be monitored for a week in the hospital while being hooked up to a video eeg. This way, they can literally watch your movements while monitoring what's going on with your brain activity. Just a thought.

Last edited by life_is_good; 10-21-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I have heard, NOT READ ANYTHING, about symptoms of a male monthly cycle. I don't know if the body acts up in a specific manner, or what occurs. If other readers on here know the text I am forgetting please comment if this may relate. This is no joke, the broadcast news aired a story on it.

The other option is if it usually occurs around that time frame, throw a tape in a tape deck EVERY NIGHT and let the tape record on extended. See if it catches anything. If your house mate comments then review that nights tape in hopes it didn't run out earlier.

--Travis

Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi,

I have heard that men also have estrogen in them that can actually
cause seizures(if too much).Just like women do have the testosterone
in them,men just have alot more and visa versa on the estrogen.
Well, it is a possiblility that if your testosterone is getting too low
at that time of the month and leaving with mainly estrogen at that
particular time,it can cause seizures.I am not sure if men have progesterone
in them or not,but,if not which actually helps stop seizures with the
catamenial(monthly)seizures,then all you would have is the estrogen after
your testosterone gets low(if that is the problem)which would cause the
seizures.
If I were a man and still having monthly seizures at a certain time like
you,I would definitely have my hormones checked that week they occur.

I am just posting some info. that I have read about before.
Take care,Sherri

Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
(female)

tatie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azag View Post
Hello everyone and thank you in advance for taking the time to read the following. I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but hopefully itís a good start.

My name is Jeff and I am a 30 year old male in seemingly good health. A little over a year ago I start experiencing what I have been classifying as seizures at night. The first four to five months that they occurred I was single and living by myself. At the time I seem to remember a very vivid dream in which I could not awake no matter how hard I tried. I started to associate the episodes with late nights and moderate drinking. The episodes for the most part seem to be happening when I attempt to wake up to go to the bathroom. I have awoken a few times awkwardly twisted on the floor in the hallway and directly outside the bathroom.

A year ago now, my fiancť started living with me in my apartment. The first time she witnessed an episode she was rightly concerned and urged me to see a doctor as soon as possible. When I visited the doctor they immediately schedule and MRI and an EEG, both of which came back normal. I have not been back to a doctor concerning this issue since.

Oddly enough, the episodes seem to happen within the same days every month. I have been tracking the dates over the last 12 months and they always seem to happen between the 12th and 18th of every month and is usually between 2am and 6am in the morning. I have never had an episode while Iím awake.

According to my fiancť, I usually sit straight up in bed slapping myself in the face in a futile attempt to wake myself. My entire body tenses up and I sound as if Iím choking on my tongue. The episodes last anywhere from one to five minutes, I attempt to speak and can only mutter, and I always fall right back to sleep. My fiancť describes it as a deep sleep in which she cannot wake me from. When I awake in the morning I always look at my fiancť and ask if I had a seizure. From what Iíve read on the internet, people are usually unaware that an episode has taken place. My entire body is always sore, and I feel as if I have no energy. The last episode on August 16th actually caused me to urinate in bed.

Thank you for taking the time. Any concerns, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome.
Hello,

I dont know anything really about male hormones and if there is a cycle that is as easily recored from month to month as a womans,,,, so i wont comment on that part.... but all avenues are worth exploring you will never know if you never go...

I know through wen i began having seizures they started similar as u describe at night, and no auras, partials or grands during the day...

Mine to like yours were within a timed window every month.... they were put down to hormones as there wasnt much else they could put it down to, I was never sattisfied with that as i never felt it fitted into my cycle due to timing. You are doing a great job in keeping a seizure diary with times dates and other information as if there is a pattern to be found it is much easier to see...

Mine ended up being not contributed to my cycle or hormones at all.... my seizures have chaged i started off with just auras during the day and now over 3-4 year period i now have 4 types of seizures...

I have mesial sclorisis and i am having surgery in 2 weeks. and am having an area removed.

from all the experiences i have gone through and from experiences others around me have shared.... there are no two people the same.... and everything is worth a shot.... there are no silly questions...... better to be dissapointed and have tried!!!.... then to be more dissapointed that you never tried....

I wish everyone a healthy happy time ahead !!

thankyou for all who share and all who reply and all who read...

Tate

Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

Iím not sure if this would be able to help you as I am not 100% certain of what this disorder is called but I think that you should go to a sleep clinic. There is a disorder that causes symptoms at night because of lack of oxygen to the brain. I donít think that this might fully relate to your situation as you are having these episodes a certain time of the month but it is worth checking out. With this disorder, your tongue blocks your air way and may cause seizures due to lack of oxygen to the brain.

Closed Thread