It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

cas526 HB User
What would you do and what questions should I ask.

I have a 26 year old handicap son. He's moderate MR, PDD, and very ADHD.
As an infant he had 2 febrile seizure. Last year, 08/28/06 he had a tonic clonic seizure right after going to bed. We called 911 and at the hospital they did a CAT scan which came back normal. Made an appoinment with a neuro, who did a EEG and it was abnormal. He did not say what about it was abnormal. Since this was his first, we did not medicate, nor did we do an MRI because we would have to sedate him in order to have it done. Fast forward to 10/10/07. He was schedule to have surgery on his knee on 10/12 We spend several hours at the Dr's on the 10th. I tried to explain to him what to expect with the surgery and tried reasurring him. Sure enough when he went to bed that evening he had another tonic/clonic. It lasted 4 minutes and it was almost one hours before he could speak and was back to himself. We go to the neuro again Dec 6.
I am still unsure about medicating. Should I medicate 365 days a year for 1 day? I know there are many, many side effects. Or am I doing more harm then good? I would like you hear your thoughts. Secondly, what question should I make sure I ask the neuro. I am going to request that a MRI be done.
Thanks, any input will be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: What would you do and what questions should I ask.

You have a few options. Go back to the first Neuro and see what happens. If you are not satisfied, then get a second opinion elsewhere.

If seizures are occuring, usually medicating is the typical treatment. If it took 4 minutes aparently (from an external standpoint) for the seizure to end, that is to be considered a lengthy seizure. If they last that length a lot of Dr's would like us to go in to the hospital if we rarely have them. It is the caretaker/patient's decision to go or not. There isn't much the hospitals can do but moniter and over medicate.

Thats why it's up to the patient or caretaker to go or not. The length of a seizure is one of the factors to use in deciding to go to the ER. If the patient can communicate, also how they feel afterwards, if they are disorientated, groggy, etc. I have only a few times CHOSEN to go in and was glad I did. The other times I was forced to go.

I'd suggest getting the first neuro's opinion, and possibly a second if you are discomforted with the first's.

Medication is the usual route, however this last one could have been caused by stress or apprehension to the surgery if he understood that an operation was upcomming. Factor that in to the equation. Nervousness (sp?) may trigger (cause) the seizure. Look in the past and see if similar situations have happened. Vacations, holidays, traveling etc.

I've been on meds for over 25 years. In most cases once you are on meds you stay on them.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi,

I agree with Travis,especially the last one being caused by
stress.4 mintues is a long time,but,an hour is usually the time
it can take me to either sleep it off or become myself again
after having a bad one.Good-luck, Sherri

Old 10-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Add on thought..

They can administer a mild sedative (in addition, straps if needed) if the patient needs to be restrained or kept calm for the MRI. That is something you should know. It is rare that they need to use it, but in some cases it is needed.

The loud noises from the MRI may scare him slightly (clicking and thumping from the magnets) hopefully not. I guess when we (those who have had them many times) have been through the MRI drill time and time again it becomes routine like drawing blood. Least it has for me.

One tip I learned years ago when doing a MRI, wear "gym cloths" that have no metal in them. Stretch pants and a tee shirt are perfect. No metal on you makes it a LOT easier.

--Travis

Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

cas526 HB User

Travis , you sound very knowlegeable on this subject. 3 questions for you and anyone else that would be intrested in responding. Would you medicate a family member or yourself if you were having 1 seizure a year?(tonic clonic)
2. where the abnormality shows up(what part of the brain) on the EEG does that tell a doctor what type a seizure that person would have?
3 Can a person have 2 different type of seizures? As I mention before my son has had 2 TC. However, I have noticed several incidents (several at least 5) the past few weeks where he is just like staring into space. When I call his name he will respond.
Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

If he is having "stare-off's" those could be indications of lesser seizures.

Let the tests happen and then go from there before making decisions. I've been medicated since I was 5 and I'm pretty good; I'm in my 30's.

YES Patients can have multiple types of seizures. They are not limited to just one level. I'd have petty-mal (aura's) such as a ringing in my ear, drooling but not black out or loss or consciousness when they happen. I'd also have the full blown GM's (gran-mal) where I'd black out, lose control of my legs, sometimes bladder. Recovery could take 15-30 minutes after the seizure. I'd be awake and aware of what was going on around me, but verbal was impaired and I couldn't speak.

It doesn't tell the Dr what TYPE of seizure/s the patient may have. If they catch a seizure during the observation of an EEG they may know what region of the brain it effected (speach, motor, visual, memory etc) and if it crossed over to the other hemisphear or not. Best help is from those around the patient when it occured and descriptions of the episodes, what the person does, if the limbs tighten, go soft, if they speak, if they walk around, if they strip their cloths off, if they get stronger during the seizures (I've seen that ALL happen in seizures).

Meds are used to control seizures to prevent damage to the brain in most cases. If we would stop breathing for more than 4-5 minutes the lack of oxygen causes damage to the brain each time a seizure occurs. Thats one item to consider when thinking about meds

There is a mother with a disabled child with epilepsy on here who may be of more help to you than me. Hopefully she will show up soon to share her wisdom.

--Travis

Closed Thread