It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
(female)

wild__horses HB User
Dilantin Kapseals 100 mg-are the pills changed?

I recently had my rx filled and the pills they gave me were different than what I have always taken. They are half orang and half white. I am used to getting the white cap with orange band. On other message boards dilantin users have said they are having difficulty getting the "orange band" dilantin. Does anyone know why this is happening? The pharmacy said those are the only dilantin they have. And it did say dilantin on the bottle, but the capsule is different. I returned them. Anyone know anything about this? Are any of you on this dilantin having trouble getting your med....or been given these other capsules?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Dilantin Kapseals 100 mg-are the pills changed?

If your script does not say DO NOT SUBSTITUTE they have the authority to issue you generics. One of the generics I had was half purple half white with a soild tab inside the capsul.

Chemical name/generic name for Dilantin is "Phenytoin" (also called phenytoin sodium). If that helps at all.

I'm NOT on it anymore, but I have not heard of any changes.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
(female)

wild__horses HB User

Thanks Travis. I did not know that they could just substitute medication like that. Anyway I returned the med. I guess I will have to check in the future before leaving the pharmacy. Or I will tell them not to bother to fill it with any other med. But what I was wondering is if this med is a replacement for dilantin, or a generic. It said dilantin on the bottle but the pills were different.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Did you have a manufacters bottle or was it the pharmacy bottle with the script sticker on it?

They shouldn't reuse mfgr bottles unless it IS what came in the bottle, even then in most cases, they don't issue those unless they are still sealed. They do at times to save costs.

I've been issued my TegXR200's in the mfgr bottles (taped together). Usually they issued me the Teg in the pharmacy bottles. Another time the Keppra from two bottles placed into one mfgr bottle. Usually I was issued ONE Keppra bottle still sealed (my exact count back then). I called them when I noticed the Keppra pills were different colors and sizes to see what was up. They were suprised I noticed it.

Bummer to hear this. I know they misfilled a friends script for Lamictal with a heart med I think it was? It just happened to be one bottle over on the shelf. She called me over to ask because the meds didn't look right. I saw the external of the bottle and said NO right away. Opened it, it was not sealed, looked in, it was for sure the wrong med! Thank the higher powers she didn't take any.

I had to check what I had... PINK stripe is the 30's; RED (or close to red) stripe is the 100's. Yellow triangle tab (yuck, bananna) is the 50mg chewable Dilantin. I've had all of 'em.

--Travis

Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
(female)

wild__horses HB User

It was the manufacturer's bottle, but it was sealed. I actually called Pfizer about it. They said the pill has been changed....but um....some dilantin users have been told that the original dilantin kapseals are available but on back order. Other users have been told that the kapseals are no longer available. So to tell you the truth, I am concerned. Pfizer does not seem to have a reason for doing this. They just did it. You would think with an abrupt change like this that there would be some kind of notice included with the med to tell patients of the change. But there was no information notice. Just seems weird to me.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
(female)

Donna52 HB User

When you took them back, did the pharmacist identify that pill as dilantin?I've only known the Kapseal 100 mg dilantin to be the white capsule with the orange band around the middle, and I've been on it for many years. It's what the pharmacist always gives me, so I have no trouble. The only time I had a problem was when my new neurologist wrote me a prescription 2 different times for phenytoin, which I refuse to take. Finally had to tell both him and his nurse that I will only take dilantin. A couple of years ago when I went to pick up my medicine, the bottle had my name on it and the name of my medicine on the label. But, there was actually a different pill inside the bottle!! I had to take it back to the pharmacy and get the correct medicine. I guess someone else got my dilantin, and hopefully they bought it back. I don't trust these pharmacy technicians like I do a pharmacist.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I just pulled up information I was unaware of.

there is a Dilantin 125.

I WAS WRONG. The 125 is an ORAL SOLUTION. Sorry for my rush to judgement.

(ERASED)

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 10-24-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
(female)

wild__horses HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis from MN View Post
I just pulled up information I was unaware of.

there is a Dilantin 125.

I WAS WRONG. The 125 is an ORAL SOLUTION. Sorry for my rush to judgement.

(ERASED)

--Travis
LOL. I GOT EXCITED ABOUT THAT TOO WHEN I PULLED IT UP. BUT THEN LATER SAW IT WAS ORAL SUSPENSION...THE LIQUID TYPE. I AM STILL SEARCHING AROUND TRYING TO LOCATE MORE DEFINITE INFO ON THESE NEW DILANTIN CAPS. BUT WITHOUT MUCH SUCCESS. I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT GENERIC. BECAUSE GENERIC DILANTIN 100 MG CAPS CAN HAVE ANYWHERE FROM 80 TO 120 MG IN THEM. AND IT VARIES FROM MFR TO MFR. SO YOU DONT REALLY KNOW AHEAD OF TIME WHAT YOU ARE TAKING. I WISH THEY WOULD JUST PUT ON THE LABEL HOW MANY MG ARE IN THEM SO WE COULD ADJUST THE NUMBER OF PILLS TO WHAT WE NEED. THEN WE WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT TAKING THE GENERIC BRANDS. IMO THEY ARE MISLABELED.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
(female)

loveslight57 HB User

The dilantin 100 mg kapseals have been changed by Pzifer to the half orange half white pill.It is no longer a "kapseal but a closed capsule.
When asked about this they told me that there is no change other the shell of the capsule. Also I was told that it improves manufacturing consistency.
Interesting timing because recently I had a gran mal seizure while taking my therapeutic dose of dilantin and the level was very low for me.
they were the white pills with the orange band. I sent them back in august and
have tried to get info from them, but I was told that it is still under investigation and there is no info at this time. I also notified medwatch.
anyone else have a problem lately with the old design.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
(male)

magnums HB User

we just got the same new pills: half white half orange, for dilantin 100mg. We're nervous.

We tried the generic and it didn't work.we undertood the problem was the pill casing, how it was distributed. Are we right about that?

If so then we have reason to be concerned about the new casing I think.

let us know about the generic

thanks

Closed Thread