It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

HELEEN HB User
Epilepsy ~ Tegretol Side Effects

How Do I Reduce Side Effects Of Tegretol For My Epilepsy

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
(female)

bevin 30 HB User
Re: Epilepsy ~ Tegretol Side Effects

dear heleen, my name is bevin and I suffer from what is known as non specific seizure disorder. The way to reduce the side effects of tegretol like weight gain is to exerise and eat fruits and vegetables etc all that healthy stuff. But what are your side effects may I ask because to give advice and not know what the side effects are that need to remedied is hard because I do not want to give the wrong advice. I can not tell someone how to deal with the side effects and not know what those side effects are. The only advice I can give is to exercise if weight gain is a concern as it(weight gain) would be with most other anti seizure meds like depakote the med that I take for my seizure control. The only other advice I have for you is to go to your neurologist and ask him about what to do for the side effects you are experiencing from the tegretol. good luck and godbless.

Last edited by bevin 30; 10-25-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

louise35 HB User
Smile Re: Epilepsy ~ Tegretol Side Effects

Hi Heleen..i'm new here...first post...so here goes.. I'm 35 and have taken tegretol for epilepsy since i was 15... i've had several side effects..double vision,drowsyness, mood swings and so on, through the years i've found that a good routine helps with side effects..remembering to take tablets on time and doses not too close together and a good sleeping routine helps alot...dont burn the candle at both ends! I havent experienced any weight gain linked to the tablets...only linked to the chocolate cake i love but we all have a different make up and will experience different side effects...Please remember report ALL side effects to your GP..Hope this helped
louise x

Old 10-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I"ve been on Tegretol for most of the last 20 years. I've been fortunate that when I'm on it, I do ok (need something for constipation, but that's easy to fix with over the counter stool softeners); when I've had to come off of it to try other meds, I'm a moody mess- over-reacting to everything.

What side effects are you having the most trouble with?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
(female)

tatie HB User

hello helen,

I was on tegretol from wen I was 15 till 18 months ago and i am now 29.....
I towards then end was on too high of a dose....

What sort of side effects do you suffer from....
i think when i was on it because i was on it for so long the side effects became part of my life and they wernt as noticible until i was taken off them...

i have less foggyiness, i have better concerntration, and my memory is more clear i dont have to have prompting to remember short term memories....

it is hard to offer help for your side effects as you have not mentioned what they are and what other medication if any you have in combination...

it would good if you would like others to provide help and expirences if you could explain what side effects you have been expierincing and if you are taking other medications... dose and length of time you have been on it

i do hope the side effects minamise
take care
tate

Last edited by tatie; 10-27-2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added information missed

Closed Thread