It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
raised rash

Has any of you ever seen a raised area on your face after a seizure? I have noticed several time after Tripp has a complex seizure a fine raised rash( though not really a rash persay)it looks like goosebumps... It goes away when his seizure is over.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: raised rash

If it looks like goosebumps, they (goosebumps) are caused by contraction of the skin at the base of hairs reducing skin surface trying to help us feel warm. It is a muscular contraction, so in theory it could be related to a seizure.

As seizures our muscles will tighten or become loose depending on the patient. Do you notice the "bumps" on the arms as well?

Thats the only thing I can think of other than circulation issues possibly...

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

Thanks, Travis! You amaze me with all your knowledge!
I have told his neuro about them and she said "I have no idea".... but they must be seizure related like you said for they only happen when he is having those head turn seizures. I have never noticed them any place but his face. Circulation must be it! Thanks!!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Laugh..

From a state that hits -20 air temp in the winter (add on wind chill for -40) Cold weather is normal for me come the season! Topa has effected how I sense the weather I have noticed.

I had a friend that thought I was crazy going out to deal with county offices when we had -20F and -38WC. She thought we'd have everything closed down. I told her not unless there was 8 inches of snow would we have a delay. Cold weather just calls for layering clothing. Those of us that grew up in the cold climates know that.

--travis

Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

The autonomic system may be effected during his seizures, causing the goosebumpy skin - autonomic seizures or complex partials with autonomic features can cause a bunch of things that are invountary responses to a lot of body systems.

I turn bright red on my face, white around my mouth and limbs, blue nail beds (with ok oxygen levels- shouldn't be that way !!), and ice cold after a 'hard' complex partial with the autonomic symptoms thrown in. I've been told I look dead. Breathing gets shallow enough to set off apnea alarms at the hospital.

So many symptoms can be part of the seizure; autonomic symptoms may not show up on an EEG if it's caught during one, since the part of the brain responsible for autonomic activity is very deep, and the superficial electrodes can't pick them up.

Closed Thread