It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

cherlyn6 HB User
What Happens When You Have a Seizure

When I have a siezure I can hear people talking but I can't talk. Someone told me then your not have a seizure. I am then one having it I think I should know.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: What Happens When You Have a Seizure

There are different types of seizures and you don't always lose consciousness when you have them, therefore you are right. You CAN have seizures and still be aware of what's happening, but still not be able to respond to your environment. Have you seen a neurologist? You should have an EEG to confirm this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

tatie HB User

I have various types of seizures and to varying degree!!!

But without giving a history on all of them just relating to what you have mentioned....

Only my last t/c I had infront of family members.... I dont remember it but I was telling them over and over again... I am ok I am ok I am ok....

That isnt a regular occurance, i do also know from previous experience especially with a complex partial I have been able to hear people around me and am unable to speak back... but can when I am comming around but not completly yet lucid from a t/c can hear ... often stating again I am ok I am Ok or dont worry and I say it over and over again...

I just wanted to touch on the hearing speaking part of my seizures i hope that helps to know

take care and never self doubt... we are all unique and special in our own ways..

Old 10-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I remember the aura, then nothing about the seizure, but when I'm coming back around, it happens in phases- I can hear but not speak, don't see clearly, etc....then things start to get back to normal, and all I want to do is sleep.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
(female)

nerfmom HB User

All of my husband's grand mals have been while he is asleep in bed at night. He is never aware of them. Afterwards, he is unconscious. It takes about 30-40 minutes for him to regain consciousness at which time he can't talk. If he tries to get up, he is very unsteady on his feet. He also doesn't seem to be able to understand what is going on around him. But unless I tell him that he had a seizure, he has no recollection. It takes most of the day for him to recover.
Thanks to Keppra, he hasn't had a seizure in many months.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I usually vaguely recollect my aura, I don't remember anything about the seizure itself. My t/c sz last 30 sec - 1 min. Then I don't remember anything about the post-ictal phase which for me lasts 30-45 min. People can ask me questions and I just say " I don't know " or " I don't understand ". The more people talk to me, the more reoriented I become. I had my last t/c 2 weeks ago at work (thank goodness I work in a hospital), by the time I was gotten to the ER, I was beginning to come around (approx 30 min afterwards). I only know the details because people tell me what I do. The latter part of my post-ictal phase almost feels like a dream.

Amy

Old 05-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

zonie HB User

Hi everyone-- I am sure glad THIS thread is still around. I wonder if the posters are still around as it is dated, but if anybody out there can throw me a rope, I'll try to remember what it (The rope) was for! I was just relieved of a large meningioma (brain tumor) right after easter. I presented in E.R. with the 4th of what I was calling "spells." They begin in Nov. of 07. They tell me they were "probably" seizures, but i've read that one having a seizure is unable to interact, or even be aware of those around them. I did not have a t/c seizure for sure, but it was jsut like I felt out of body. The feeling lasted for well over an hour each time. The last 2 times I could not dial the phone on the first few tries, and had a hard time deciding whether to type which letters on which side of hte keyboard at work. I felt like my hands belonged somewhere other than on my body, and I jsut assumed it was resulting from a ruptured disc in my neck or anxiety. But THAT WAS IT! Now I'm on Dilantin (and hate it...) but they say I must be on it for possibly 3 to 5 years! Another Dr. says 3 to 6 months. One (seizure doc) is SURE these were seizures, but a neurosurgeon and the neurologist intern is NOT sure. I trust you all that experience this stuff and know others who do. Please help!
1) ARe these seizures? and
2) What is better than Dilantin for these wimpy mild events if anything?
Thanks!
Z

Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
(male)

Mediocrates HB User

zonie, look into Carbatrol/Carbamazepine. Its side effects are similar to Dilantin, but they are much less severe.

I used to be on Dilantin, too. It controlled my seizures completely but I feel like my normal self on Carbatrol. I can handle a couple of seizures per year on Carbarol if I feel better all the time.

Closed Thread