It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Prozac and seizures

hello!
I posted a couple weeks ago about Prozac... my gyno diagnosed me with Premenstral Dysphoric Disorder, and started me on Prozac, which I'd only take for 14 days of each month starting the 14th day of my cycle.
I was worried at first because I read online afterwards that Prozac can interact with Tegretol and change the blood levels of Tegretol, and I take Tegretol. But I decided to try the Prozac anyway.
My seizures didn't get any worse, so I continued to take the Prozac for the 14 days, which ended yesterday.
I also have Catamenial Epilepsy, so I get simple partial seizures every month usually starting a week before my period (but sometimes starting after I get it) and lasting for 4 days to a week.
Now, the weird thing is that I should be getting my period in a day or two (because it's already been 28 days since my last one started, and I'm usually pretty much on time), but I haven't had any seizures since I started the Prozac! (YAYY!!!) Normally, I'd be starting to get them by now. Has anyone ever heard of Prozac actually preventing seizures? Or could it be because the Prozac could have changed my Tegretol levels to the plus side just enough to prevent my seizures (though mu neuro said I was at the max dose of Teg- I take 1200 mg/day)? Or could it be that my seizures are actually more caused by the stress and emotional issues I get at "that time of month", and the Prozac is alleviating those emotions, and therefore I'm not having as many seizures?

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 10-30-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

anemone HB User
Re: Prozac and seizures

Hi

I don't know much about PDD or catamenial epilepsy, but I have been on prozac for four years. (two years before the epilepsy).

I've never heard of it preventing seizures, the worry always seems to be lowering the seizure threshold (though i was never taken off it as I'd been fine for two years before i started having regular seizures).

I have heard of it helping other meds to work better (or more strongly) though, i guess that can be dangerous, or really useful!

I have no idea what the case is in your situation, i guess you need to keep track of it and see how it goes!

How are you doing now?

Closed Thread