It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

yorkieloveroo7 HB User
Olfactory seizures? epilepsy

hi, i have a bizarre history but the doctors have never diagnosed me. No problems when i was young then at 31 I would get a aura then just drop, no body movements and i would come to a few minutes later, i don't drink or smoke or take any kind of drugs/meds other than a synthroid for my thryroid. Anyway this activity stopped for like 5 years then about a year ago i blacked out a few times, saw a neuro and he couldn't find anything. I have been having these auras now and then i smell awful smells that no one else smells for about 30 secs and my daughter and hubby say I say things that don't make sense, I will often get a very bad headache afterwards, and i'm almost always on my period. I have had mri's etc and nothing shows anything. Epilepsy runs in my family. The past few months I have been having a aura right before i go into a sleep and it feels like my brain does something strange, can't really describe it, it also hurts at any time to press on my temples. I don't want to waste any more money on more tests but wanted to know anyones opinions on here to see if I could be doing something else. Also, i am so tired all the time, i have a feeling something is happening while i sleep, i'm tempted to tape myself while i sleep, i wake up all night long, thank you for input

Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
(female)

elizleigh HB User
Re: Olfactory seizures? epilepsy

Sounds like olfactory (strange smells) as well as catemenial (spelling?) seizures, where they happen mostly during or near your menstruation. It would be a great idea if you could tape yourself during your sleep. My fiance has suggested this to me as well several times as he tries to convice me of my strange twitching and jerks during my sleep, but we don't have a video camera.. yet. It really would be a good idea to see a neurologist as you can't let this go if that is what this is.

Oh, and I also have olfactory seizures where I smell odd and very aweful smells that no one else can smells, even though I am on meds. And keep push the neuros or get a new one that specializes in epilepsy even if your EEG's come out clean if you are still having these types of symptoms because quite often people will have normal EEG's but still have epilepsy and seizures - it is VERY common.

Best of luck to you.
Beth

Last edited by elizleigh; 11-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread