It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User
Talking I Just Got Out Of The Hospital From 2 Brain Surgery's

Well I just got home from being in the hospital for 6 weeks to have 2 brain surgery's. I was told that everything was a big success. The first surgery was to find where the seizures are coming from. The second surgery was to take where the seizures are coming from out. Now I was put back on the seizure drugs and I will stay on that for 6-9 months. When we are ready they take me off the drugs and find out if we are fixed and if the seizures are gone. I'm a little scared because I went through so such and pray that I am fixed and God has fixed me.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User
Re: I Just Got Out Of The Hospital From 2 Brain Surgery's

Hi,

I hope everything will be a success for you.
Just wondering though, what section of your
brain was it that they found the problem and
removed ? My doctor is beginning to talk to me
about surgery and I will be going to a Florida
University on Jan. 14th to begin any testing,etc.

I would appreciate any advice or opinion.

Take care,Sherri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

So glad to hear that the surgery was successful. You must be so relieved that it's over. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Rest up and take care of yourself. Give yourself time to heal now. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri5186 View Post
Hi,

I hope everything will be a success for you.
Just wondering though, what section of your
brain was it that they found the problem and
removed ? My doctor is beginning to talk to me
about surgery and I will be going to a Florida
University on Jan. 14th to begin any testing,etc.

I would appreciate any advice or opinion.

Take care,Sherri

Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Hi Sherri,
Thanks for thoughts, things were hard to get though. The two surgery's that I just had done were on the left temporal lobe. It has been 17 years dealing with this and I hope were done. It's going to be 6-9 months now waiting to see if we fixed this. Where is yours coming from? How long have you been dealing with this? Well I wish you the best and you will do OK.
Take Care,
Sk8ter Girl

Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Sk8ter Girl,

Thanks for the best wishes first of all.My epilepsy has always
come from problems with my left temporal lobe also.One time
on a EEG they also saw problems in the central,but,mainly the
temp. lobe.I have had seizures for 40 years now,ever since I
was 4 years old.Now that I am approaching the lovely years of
menopause my seizures are getting worse.They were just petite
mal and complex partial,now they are CP and grand mals along with
drop attacks.There is no medicine that will even help mine,my doctor
has now stated that mine are refractory catamenial.My doctor has
pretty much given up with meds. and is now suggesting this surgery
or the VNS.
Thanks for any info. and good-luck again,I hope all turns out wonder-
ful for you.Take care,Sherri

Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Sk8ter Im so so glad that surgery went so good for u, its been only 7 months since mine and it feels like yesterday. Take it very easy, rest lots, dont exercise, but walk slow. Dont lift, bent, or push urself too much, let other do things for u like cook. Give it about 4-5 months b4 u can feel more like u, and ur body to adjust to emotional changes which will b happening. Relax and talk lots to friends and family it helps u mentally thorugh the process, I KNOW is not easy but just like me, when u hear from the surgeon that UR FREE!!! Its all worth it. Godbless u....
Sherri I also hope all your exams work on your favor and that ur also a candidate for the surgery. Do u know what was the root of ur E disorder?
(i had mesial sclerosis) which i didnt know about till 20 yrs later.Write down all your questions and let us know wat the Neuro tell u there in Florida.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

030free,

I will write down all my questions,especially with my memory
here lately,and I will also let you all know how things go.

My E. was all due to a high fever of 104 and I went into coma
for 4 days when I was only 1 year old.The doctor then warned
my parents that this could happen and sure enough at age 4
they started on a regular basis.

I hope everything goes well with both of you and again I will
keep you all informed.

Take care,Sherri

Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Hey Sherri,
That VNS was one of the things they were talking to me about last Sept. of 2006. It came down to making a choice between that and the surgery that I just had. So I guess you could say that I had a big choice to make. It came down to telling my Dr. to just keep testing me till I got knocked out on my own instead of making a choice. Good luck with that VNS it's not that bad if you do it. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sk8ter Girl

Old 11-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Hi 030free,
I'm doing Ok. It's only been about 3 weeks that I'm home and I feel like a little tired but other than that I guess I'm OK. So how did you make out with your surgery? My two surgery's were a little ruff, make that three surgery's. I had my first surgery 16 years ago. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sk8ter Girl

Old 11-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ter Girl 23 View Post
Hi 030free,
I'm doing Ok. It's only been about 3 weeks that I'm home and I feel like a little tired but other than that I guess I'm OK. So how did you make out with your surgery? My two surgery's were a little ruff, make that three surgery's. I had my first surgery 16 years ago. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sk8ter Girl
Im actually surprise to c ur able to look at a screen and write to us, so that shows ur doing good. For me it was only one surgery, but it was rough. 5 days in ICU and 4 in a regular floor. After being home still was hard moving and eating and having my brain adjust to no seizures so I had a few anxiety attacks, but after 4 months my body adjusted and I then under went removal of 2 wisdom teeth. Yeah it was a slow healing process but very worth it, now Im much much better and moving even going out alone. Trust me take it easy walk but dont run and with time you'll c it was all worth it... Any auras or spells? keep me updated I'm always praying for u

Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Hey 030free,
Thanks for your respond. No, I havn't any aura's or spells since like the the or second day after my last surgery. I am doing good with that I guess. I just say my Dr. that did the surgery last wed. and he was so happy that I don't have to see him till Feb. I still have the stitches in and it will be a month on sun. So now I guess it's just a big waiting game for about 5 months or more. My hair is so short, they shaved all my hair down to the skull. I guess it's going to take a while for that to go back. Keep in touch.
Sk8ter Girl

Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Let me b the first to say congrats on ur 1st month free! on Sunday will b 7 months free for me.. It feels great!! In 5 months Ill b getting off my meds. Well trust me time will fly by as long as u dont push urself, and take it easy. I didn't get my head shaved except for a strip where he cut from the ear n up a bit, but that grew back within a month, so dont worry about the hair... My stitches took about 3 months to fall off, but I washed and dried them good every 2-3 days, but dont scratch them too hard when they began to itch, i learned the hard way....lol Have a great Thanksgiving and keep me updated, its nice to know surgery is helping so many

Laura

Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #14
(female)

Sk8ter Girl 23 HB User

Hey 030free,
Thank you very much. Yes, today is 2 month from the first one that we did with putting all the grids in. Also tomorrow is the 1 month since my second surgery to try and fix the problem. So my family is celabrating with me this weekend. Hope to talk to you soon, keep in touch. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!
Sk8ter Girl

Closed Thread