It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question sherri or anyone else i need advice about seizures???

HI SHERRI OR NERVOUS OR WHOEVER CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE .I WENT TO MY NERO DR YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF THE FAINTING SPELLS AND HEADACHES ,I NOLONGER HAVE TO TAKE THYROLD MY LEVELS ARE NORMAL BEEN OFF MEDS 6 MOS ,OK SO RIGHT AFTER I STOPPED THE MEDS BACK IN JUNE I NEVER FAINTED FOR LIKE A MONTH ,THEN BOOM I STARTED FAINTING AGAIN ,THEN IN OCT FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS I NEVER FAINTED THEN AT THE DRS YESTERDAY I WENT IN WAS DOING FINE NEVER FELT FAINT OR NOTHING GOT TO THE DESK AND WAS WAITING TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR ME TO GO TO HOSPITAL TO BE TESTED FOR SEIZURES AND I WAS TELLING THEM HOW PROUD I WAS THAT I HADNT FAINTED IN 6 WEEKS AND WAS EVEN DRIVING SO MUCH FOR GOOD LUCK AND I WAS STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING JUST WAITING HUBBY WAS WITH ME AND BOOM DOWN I WENT ,MY EYES FLICKERED JUST LIKE BEFORE AND I COULDNT TALK AND I LAID THERE ABOUT 5 MINS OR SO THEN I STARTED CRYING ONCE I WAS UP .SO I HAVE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL DURING THANKSGIVING NOV 19,20,21 AND COME HOME THE 22ND AND THE DR SAID IT SURE LOOKED LIKE I HAD A SEIZURE .CAN SEIZURES DO THIS COME AND GO ??? STOP FOR AWHILE THEN BOOM COME BACK AFEW WEEKS OR DAYS OR MOS LATER IM NOT ON NO MEDICINE .SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE HERE IM REALLY SCARED TOO IM VERY NERVOUS AND IM FEELING FUNNY AS I SIT HERE AND TYPE THIS OUT DOES ANYONE EVER FEEL BURNING IN THE BACK OF THE NECK OR AROUND THE SHOULDERS?? PLUS MY HEAD NEVER STOPS HURTING PLEASE ANYONE IM SO TERRIFED AND SCARED TO DEALTH I BEEN FAINTING SINCE SEPT 06 AND IN JUNE I STARTED HAVING BLACKOUTS.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User
Re: sherri or anyone else i need advice about seizures???

I've never had the headaches, burning, or fainting spells... BUT, I have had other symptoms (mainly panic attacks, and anxiety) that come and go whenever they want to. They last from minutes to days. There's no telling when they'll start or stop. I've been on 300mg phenytoin since Oct.'01. Weaned off once then back on. Low amounts of Lorazepam helps sometimes.
I've had a problem with flourescent lights, bright sunlight, and too much computer use. My eyes and head feel funny when around them... kind of light-headed and over tired... even if I'm not tired.
Are you exposed to flourescent lights? Does bright sunlight trigger spells? How about a lot of stress? How about timing of spells with periods? Had any infections ANYWHERE lately?
I have reactive hypoglycemia... sort of the opposite of diabetes. Have your blood sugar levels tested. I used to get dizzy sweaty and weak if I didn't eat enough. (This started long before any signs of having seizures.)
Lastly, how's your blood pressure?

Good Luck!

Last edited by IMNRVUS; 11-15-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

I've never had any of those symptoms with my seizures, either. I think perhaps you are experiencing anxiety attacks? I hope you get answers...but sorry you'll be inj the hospy. for Thanksgiving! I'm writing to you right now from the hospital...in the middle of Day 3 of my 3-10 day VEEG study!

Hang in there!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hey sherri and the rest who has replied on the other board where i posted about my seizures (dogmom) said it sounds like panic attacks but what im feeling does not feel like panic ,cause alls i will be doing is standing or walking in my own house and i just fall then my eyes flicker i cant move and then once im able to get up i cry and very tired i even switched back to reg pepsi to help me stay awake but i still fall asleep in the evening but i get up at 6am and go to bed at 1am the reason is my husband is on 3rd and i wait till he leaves then i end up staying up a bit longer then i want too ,and if it was panic id get scared just before i fall and i allways had a warning with my panic but with the falling i allmost never had a warning id just drop ,the nero dr i went too saw me fall in his office and even said it looked like a seizure and since i had seizures back when i was 4 till 13 yrs old this is prob seizures and yes i did read up on the internet like you told me too and it says hormones plays a big role in seizures ,and see i was on prempro ( HRT) for 6 weeks and i felt great and never fell once the min i stopped i fell again im getting different brand because i had some side effects with the prempro so yes i believe our hormones have alot to do with this and my last MRI did show i had seizures then they just kept getting worse and the headaches too but the new headache pills the nero dr gave me omg they work better then anything i have took so far ,and husband cant stay the whole time with me he has to work plus be here for the kids and im only going to be there 2-3 days and will be home thanksgiving so i will be allright and he cant miss work we need the money .and the burning i had in my neck is gone and i dont feel too bad i think i have a little of both panic and seizures .but everything will be fine my nero also put me on 20 mg of my b/p pills i was on 10 and my b/p was 120/110 the top was good the bottom was high so he upped them .i will be back later
gods
vickie

Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Vickie,

I am happy to hear that you will be home for thanksgiving.
You said you were on prempro,but,now the neuro has upped
your mg. of your b/c pills.What kind of b/c pills are they?
Are they still the prempro or what?
I wish I could find a neuro. that would try me on some kind of b/c pill
since all my seizures are hormone related. My neuro. did tell me
to go and see a gyn. about the pills,but,the problem is the gyn.
doesn't really know what kind to put me on to help my seizures,
and it is obvious that my neuro. doesn't either.
I would appreciate any advice on the b/c pills.
Take care of yourself and good-luck,Sherri

Last edited by Sherri5186; 11-16-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri5186 View Post
Hi Vickie,

I am happy to hear that you will be home for thanksgiving.
You said you were on prempro,but,now the neuro has upped
your mg. of your b/c pills.What kind of b/c pills are they?
Are they still the prempro or what?
I wish I could find a neuro. that would try me on some kind of b/c pill
since all my seizures are hormone related. My neuro. did tell me
to go and see a gyn. about the pills,but,the problem is the gyn.
doesn't really know what kind to put me on to help my seizures,
and it is obvious that my neuro. doesn't either.
I would appreciate any advice on the b/c pills.
Take care of yourself and good-luck,Sherri
sherri
the prempro is HRT not b/c my nero dr upped my blood pressure pills to 20 mgs i was on prempro and they worked for 6 weeks but i was having side effects and once i stopped is when i started having the seizures but she my gyn called me in some new ones called activella my sister takes them and said she loves them i done great on prempro but after about 4 weeks i started having bad stomach cramps and yuk diarea and once i stopped them the side effects went away but then i started falling down with the seizures again so im trying the new ones this week,and yes i go to hospital mon ,tues, and maybe wed, they said 2 to 3 days at the most .and you know i believe the HRT does help alot and im stopping smoking im taking that new chantix to help and its the number one brand on the market for people to stop my sister stopped in 2 mos and its going on 7 mos since shes smoked and she dont even care for a cig now and my husband is getting them too .i never ever was on b/c in my life except for the shot back in 2000 i took for 4 yrs then stopped thats all i was ever on.i will let you know how things go in indy ,i will be in a room with a video and i will have that stuff hooked up to my head and maybe cat or mri if they do either the cat or mri they better give me something to calm me down cause i freak out on both ,alls i want is to be better and be able to walk into a store proud and drive again and the 6 weeks i didnt faint i was so proud and i thought to myself i was ok again but i wasnt but the hospital will find the trouble and fix me ,my mom is so out fashion back when i was 4 and started having seizures she said well the drs never told me they were seizures i said mom a child dont faint for no reason and i have a aunt and uncle who have had seizures too but my mom wants to believe her way so i let her i know what i was having back then was seizures why else would i just faint out of the blue as a child and now at age 45 my whole family has seen me faint and they even believe its seizures but my mom is 71 yrs old .but i will be just fine here soon and the hospital im going to is 2 hrs away but its the same hospital my dad was at but my poor dad died there but before he died they done him wonderfull but im not going to die im just being tested ,and i know i have some panic but the fainting is seizures not panic attacks i know the difference between the two.
vickie

Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Vickie,

I am wanting to wish you well for everything while you are in
the hospital.I misread your post about the blood pressure med.
I saw b/p as b/c, too bad the prempro caused you so many bad
side effects. Please let me know how everything goes with you
in the hospital.
Maybe I should check into the HRT.
Take care,Sherri

Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherri i sure will let you know how everything goes ,and yes the HRT worked i just couldnt handle the ugly diarea, and my stomach hurt but that could have been from the darvacets my other dr had me take for headaches they didnt help me head much and i was only aloud 2 a day the new meds im on now help alot i take every 4 hrs if i didnt have them my head would not stop hurting even now when the meds where off my head starts hurting ,and i know its seizures and back in may 06 while in walmart i think i had a seizure then but was told it was panic but as i think back i think it was a seizure i allmost blackedout then too but thanks to the people in walmart i didnt my b/p was 206/112 and heart rate was 170 and i was taking xanax then and that didnt even help it did after awhile but a panic attack cant last over a hr can it ??? oh well i will soon find out what it is either seizures or extreme panic but im thinking seizures .because i will just drop for no reason at all even in my own house and like you say hormones play a role they must because the whole 6 weeks i was on the prempro i was driving and walking into stores and man i felt great im starting the new ones tonight and within 2 weeks they started helping me i felt so good i was singing and dancing and feeling so happy .oh and my husnband bless his heart hes going to work on 3rd coming home after working at 3am to get me up and ready to go on monday then hes going to visit me for awhile come home be with the kids take a nap then take the next couple days off then work the day i come home hes a very special husband i love him to dealth he'd stay but we have the kids in school and we need the money from his job plus noone to come stay with the kids since its thanksgiving week ,but me and husband and kids will have our own dinner when i get home i prob wont feel like going anywhere but at least im getti ng to the bottom of this at last i made the appt with this nero myself my dr wouldnt he just wanted me to have a MRI done again without any medicine to calm me down so i found a dr who both my sisters and a brother law all went too and hes good from what i see but he wont be doing the testing sherri what all do they do in a hospital for testing ??? im just wondering see i was suppose to go back in march to a hospital but didnt because i thought i was ok cause i went days where i never fainted then i had days where id faint 3 or 4 times a day for a week or two then in june is when i blackedout totally on the sidewalk i was trying to prove to myself i wouldnt fall didnt happen i didnt even get down 2 blocks and i just dropped the ER came i laid there i heard people talking but could not open my eyes or say anything i woke up at the ER and i didnt even know why i was there it scaredf me to dealth .sherri can seizures kill you ??? i heard they can if you dont get them treated ,and believe me i been trying to find someone to listen to me for allmost 2 yrs about this and they kept saying panic yes i may have panic but some is seizures too and yes headaches come along with seizures but not all people get them everyone is different and i did have 1 ovary removed and thats why i went into meno at age 45 .i dont cry though but i use too before but thats cause i wanted my life back and thought id never have a life cause no one knew why i was fainting my one dr even sent me to a inpatient ward cause he thought i was crazy and i wasnt i knew something was wrong with me but i didnt know what and since i have a history of seizures the dr said its most likely seizures can we have seizures without epilectic if thats how you spell it???
i promise to keep you updated and i kn0ow its been awhile since i been on but i was just so tired and wasnt feeling good then i started the HRT prempro and omg within 2 weeks i felt GREAT my sister takes them and shes 53 and she loves how they make her feel and my gyn said i can take for life as long as i have my reg checkups and mam's done i know this lady whos been on hers for 25 yrs and she says they work great and said shes had no trouble or any probs by taking them she says she dont know what she'd ever do without them oh and they take away the hotflashes and the crying and the moodiness too .and guess what else i was hypo thyrold and when i went to gyn my tsh was 2.6 and my t4 was 8.2 without meds so endo said stay off meds and get retested in jan .so im hoping my life changes big time where i can live like everyone else i want to go back to work and drive a car again and go out shopping and places without useing a wheelchair or fainting .i want to be the vickie i was before 2006 and i will it took time and patients believe me i had times where i just wanted to die then live this way but my kids and husband and family made me relize i cant do that and they helped me through my most difficyult times because i dont and didnt know why i was fainting and blacking out and id ask god why me ,but im not going to get the help i need and when they put me on meds how well do they work??? and what type of side effects seems all meds have side effects b/p has sleepiness till your body adjust to them just like the HRT she told me give this new activella 6 mos unless i have trouble again but im hoping theses work .sherri are you in meno or prei or are you young just wondering cause they dont like putting women on them before are 40.is what i hear but i loved the way they made me feel till i got the diarea the stomach hurt but i think the darvacets did that maybe im not sure .
well i will keep in touch ok .... bye for now
vickie

Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Vickie,

Yes,seizures without Epilepsy is for someone that may only
have 1 or 2 in 20 years(just an example),epilepsy is whenever
you have seizures on a regular basis or very many in your lifetime.

The test they usually do in the hospital are MRI,EEG,CAT scans and
with you having high bp they may also hook you up to a heart monitor
while you are in there.The last time I was in the hospital they monitered
my heart and I don't even have problems with my bp.

I will be 45 next month,and at this point I am still going thru perimenopause,
but my periods are only lasting about a day and a half.So it probably won't
be long before I reach menopause.I have noticed in the last 6 years that
my seizures have got alot worse,when I was in my twenties and early
thirties I only had petite mal,now I have the drop attacks,some grandmals,
and complex partials.Since I have had them all my life like this, I am hoping
that when I do reach meno. they will stop,but,I doubt it.I am going to read
up a little more about HRT,I always thought that hormone replac. was the
same as taking b/c pills.I guess not.

Take care,Sherri

Last edited by Sherri5186; 11-16-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherri,
im not sure if b/c is the same but the drs told me since im over 40 thats why i needed the HRT and yes they work wonders i just couldnt handle the 2 side effects im hoping this new one helps my sister takes them and said they help her alot but my gyn said they are safe to take yes they have risks but as long as we women get checked yrly we should be fine and i have no history of any type of cancer in my family and to be honest the whole 6 weeks i was on the prempro i felt great untill i got the side effects but then again it may have been my one b/p pills cause it says diarea in it but the nero dr switched me back to the b/p pills i was first started on back in april but my b/p was 170-180/ 110- 125 and heart rate allways run real high like 125i have had my heart check so many times i cant count and they say its not my heart said i have a good strong normal heart .but even before they found my b/p being high it use to run high way before i had the surgery but i never went to a dr and didnt think nothing of it till after my surgery after my surgery my b/p was great it was like 104/69 and sometimes 118/70 and stayed that way till around jan 07 then got worse also wanted to ask a question but im sure its not this but i take xanax but only what im told to take and i was on them a whole yr and never fainted or passedout or nothing i first fainted in sept 06 in my drs front offive onetime then in dec i fainted 3 times then jan i fainted a few more times then i was doing ok for awhile then june is when i got bad where i blackedout and started having seizures ,and it was seizures my brother saw me and told everyone it looked like seizures to him cause i was having them like 3-4 times a day and even sitting on the couch i was having them then in aug they stopped for a month then in sept i started the HRT and i never had anymore till i stopped the pills and my last one was last tuesday at my nero drs office ,and i really dont want to go to the hospital but i cant live this way fainting all the time once i was in my kitchen and all of a sudden my head started hurting real bad i got dizzy and boom down i went so im sure this is seizures i sure wish it wasnt but i think it is but if so i just pray the medication they put me on once they find out will stop the seizures where i can have my life back .and i went into early meno because of the surgery i had .but other then that i feel ok excepot the new pills arent working as good as the darvacets did and i only took 2 darvacets a day and the new pills for headaches i take every 4 hrs and they wear off way too soon so im telling them at the hospital i need something for the pain cause its horrible pain and i have never had head pain ever in my life and june is when they got worse .and yes i need hooked up to a b/p and heart monitor most likely that way they can check me good ,if i had went back in march like they wanted me too i wouldnt have got this bad cause in march my head wasnt hurting near this bad but over the mos they just got worse along with the fainting and can you explian to me what happens with the seizures your talking about like the drop seizures or the grandma all that stuff and i dont jerk but i have shook before and my eyes flicker allmost allways when i fall .
vickie

Old 11-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Vickie,

A drop attack seizure,also called an atonic seizure is where you
all of sudden lose all your muscle tone and will just drop,sometimes
you may become unconcious,and sometimes not.Mine have gotten
worse in the last year and now I will stiffen right up which will still
cause me to fall,but,after the fall I always become unconcious,
and it will take me alot longer to be myself again and understand
what anyone around me may be saying.

I hope the medicine that they put you on will help,if you read alot
of the other people are able to control their seizures very well with
medicine.Unfortunately for me,mine are also refractory(cannot be
controlled with meds),that is why my doc is sending me to the Shands