It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question sherri or anyone else i need advice about seizures???

HI SHERRI OR NERVOUS OR WHOEVER CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE .I WENT TO MY NERO DR YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF THE FAINTING SPELLS AND HEADACHES ,I NOLONGER HAVE TO TAKE THYROLD MY LEVELS ARE NORMAL BEEN OFF MEDS 6 MOS ,OK SO RIGHT AFTER I STOPPED THE MEDS BACK IN JUNE I NEVER FAINTED FOR LIKE A MONTH ,THEN BOOM I STARTED FAINTING AGAIN ,THEN IN OCT FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS I NEVER FAINTED THEN AT THE DRS YESTERDAY I WENT IN WAS DOING FINE NEVER FELT FAINT OR NOTHING GOT TO THE DESK AND WAS WAITING TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR ME TO GO TO HOSPITAL TO BE TESTED FOR SEIZURES AND I WAS TELLING THEM HOW PROUD I WAS THAT I HADNT FAINTED IN 6 WEEKS AND WAS EVEN DRIVING SO MUCH FOR GOOD LUCK AND I WAS STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING JUST WAITING HUBBY WAS WITH ME AND BOOM DOWN I WENT ,MY EYES FLICKERED JUST LIKE BEFORE AND I COULDNT TALK AND I LAID THERE ABOUT 5 MINS OR SO THEN I STARTED CRYING ONCE I WAS UP .SO I HAVE TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL DURING THANKSGIVING NOV 19,20,21 AND COME HOME THE 22ND AND THE DR SAID IT SURE LOOKED LIKE I HAD A SEIZURE .CAN SEIZURES DO THIS COME AND GO ??? STOP FOR AWHILE THEN BOOM COME BACK AFEW WEEKS OR DAYS OR MOS LATER IM NOT ON NO MEDICINE .SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE HERE IM REALLY SCARED TOO IM VERY NERVOUS AND IM FEELING FUNNY AS I SIT HERE AND TYPE THIS OUT DOES ANYONE EVER FEEL BURNING IN THE BACK OF THE NECK OR AROUND THE SHOULDERS?? PLUS MY HEAD NEVER STOPS HURTING PLEASE ANYONE IM SO TERRIFED AND SCARED TO DEALTH I BEEN FAINTING SINCE SEPT 06 AND IN JUNE I STARTED HAVING BLACKOUTS.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ......

VICKIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: sherri or anyone else i need advice about seizures???

Yes, seizures can come and go. I experienced this myself when I first started getting them. I started getting seizures when I was 12, and didn't know what they were, because they were simple partial seizures that just made my arm or leg shake. I remember I'd get them a couple times a day for a couple of days every few weeks, and then I wouldn't get any for a few months. I remember a point in time where it was about a year or two that I didn't have any. I don't remember getting them at all in 7th or 8th grade. But they started again when I was in high school, and that's when I went to a Pediatric Neurologist. I had an EEG and MRI, and he told me they were seizures, but didn't have me start any meds! I had no idea they would get worse without meds. I was still getting them intermittently until I was in my first year of college, and they started getting a lot worse. Like, awful. And that's when they became pretty much regular. Then when I was almost 19, I had a Gran Mal, and started meds the next day. That was almost 7 years ago. After the meds calmed the seizures down, I notice that I only get them with my period now, but the seizures are always there every month, now.

So I can say that it is possible that if you are getting seizures and they're just starting, they can be pretty intermittent, like mine were for many years, actually.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentenceDoing View Post
Yes, seizures can come and go. I experienced this myself when I first started getting them. I started getting seizures when I was 12, and didn't know what they were, because they were simple partial seizures that just made my arm or leg shake. I remember I'd get them a couple times a day for a couple of days every few weeks, and then I wouldn't get any for a few months. I remember a point in time where it was about a year or two that I didn't have any. I don't remember getting them at all in 7th or 8th grade. But they started again when I was in high school, and that's when I went to a Pediatric Neurologist. I had an EEG and MRI, and he told me they were seizures, but didn't have me start any meds! I had no idea they would get worse without meds. I was still getting them intermittently until I was in my first year of college, and they started getting a lot worse. Like, awful. And that's when they became pretty much regular. Then when I was almost 19, I had a Gran Mal, and started meds the next day. That was almost 7 years ago. After the meds calmed the seizures down, I notice that I only get them with my period now, but the seizures are always there every month, now.

So I can say that it is possible that if you are getting seizures and they're just starting, they can be pretty intermittent, like mine were for many years, actually.

I ALSO HAD THIS SAME STUFF HAPPEN TO ME AS A CHILD FROM AGE 4 TO ABOUT 13 MY MOM SAID SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO COME BACK YRS LATER ALSO?? I DONT HAVE PERIODS IM IN MENO BUT IN JUNE I WAS HAVING THEM LIKE 3 TIMES A DAY EVERYDAY SO DOES WHAT I POSTED SOUND LIKE SEIZURES TO YOU TOO. DID YOU EVER GO TO HOSPITAL ABOUT YOURS ??? IM JUST SO SCARED IM 45 AND TERRIFED .THANKS FOR THE QUIKE RESPONCE .
VICKIE

Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

Hi Vickie,

Yes, it does sound like seizures to me,and yes they can come
back like that.When I was only 1 year old I was having them,
then they stopped until I was 4,when I was 4-8 years old I
hardly ever had them,then at 8 when I started my period,that
is when it all really hit on a regular basis,and have just gotten
worse now that I am close to menopause.
They say,that for some women that have the catamenial (around
period)seizures they can either stop after menopause or get worse.
I am sorry to say,but,it sounds like they are getting worse for you
now that you are in menopause.Read up as much as you can on
catamenial epilepsy.
I am sorry to hear that you will have to spend Thanksgiving in the
hospital.I hope they find a medication that will help you.
Please keep us informed on how you are doing,and feel free to ask
any questions that you want.
Take care,Sherri

Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

elizleigh HB User

Your experience sounds EXACTLY like mine. EXACTLY. To the "T". Mine started when I was in 8th grade or so and I would pass out or nearly pass out and I would start by getting that hot feeling on the back of my neck and, well, you know. I don't have to tell you. Doctors always thought it was syncope or pre-syncope until this last May when I had a tonic-clonic that landed me in the ER and then in July when I FINALLY had an EEG that showed I have epilepsy. Headaches are and were a weekly if not daily occurence as well.

Seizures can come and go like you said. Mine have been very sporadic over the years (I'm now 30) and at times they were so bad that I actually had secondary generalizations that turned into mild tonic clonics and I didn't know - people around me saw them but they didn't know enough to get me to a hospital which could have nipped in the bud a lot sooner. PLUS the more seizures you have, the more damage you can do to your brain and the liklihood of causing harm to yourself and others. Best to get it checked it out.

I hope everything works out for you. Best wishes

Last edited by elizleigh; 11-14-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Closed Thread