It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

madmary07 HB User
anti seizure meds

i've just been diagnosed with TLE. I've been having deja vu episodes for about 4 years now about 4-7 time per month. my neurologist insists i go on meds. i started topamax but don't like them at all. is there anyone out there at all who does not take meds for this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: anti seizure meds

Suprised they started you out on Topa. I have had a few issues with it, but have learned to adapt.

I'm also on Tegretol XR (extended release) and Keppra at the same time. I need to be on multi meds to control my seizures.

You could talk with your Dr and ask if there are other options for medications if the symptoms of the medication are bothersome or causing other (new) problems for you.

Personally I'm suprised they started you out on Topa and not one of the older meds.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I also had right TLE and they startedme on Tegretol 20 yrs ago, the added Topa, then changed all, but none worked for me, but that depends on the patient. I also had auras and deja vu all the time w up to 16-18 simple complex partial seizures every month, and this year I underwent surgery and become free (it worked!!). I agree w Travis and suggest you ask the neuro if starting w maybe Tegretol or any other meds might work better. Im currently on Trileptal and Keppra but have no side effects, so maybe there's another med for u instead..Good luck

Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
(male)

IMNRVUS HB User

I had sensory simple partial seizures (auras) and never took meds for many years before my first Gran Mal (Oct. '01). They're the intense fear and the Deja-Vu kind. I've been on phenytoin since then. That helped a little. Lorazepam cuts down on the intensity of them, but they still happen. Sometimes I wonder if they're just panic attacks. Stress doesn't help.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

madmary, would you describe what you mean by dejavu? I feel like I'm entering a dream, not the real world but I feel like I've been there b/4. I feel confused like I might lose consciousness. Is that how you feel? Thanks.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I've heard that seizures could get worse if you don't take meds, and I experienced this myself, as I've had seizures since I was 12, and then when I was about 18, they started to get a lot worse, and then when I was almost 19, I had a GM. I was started on Dilantin, but it did nothing for my seizures and gave me nightmares and panic attacks. Then I started Tegretol and Keppra. I haven't had any major side effects from either one.

Closed Thread