It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

caza HB User
sleep epelepsy

my daughter is seventeen in afew days and has informed me she wants to learn to drive i dont no were we stand with this she has sleep epelepsy full grandmall she is well controlled with epelim but if she forgets she fits whithin hours of going to bed any ideas thanx caza

Old 11-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: sleep epelepsy

Meds have to become part of the normal routine...I keep mine in reminder boxes, and near the bathroom (not in there, due to the increased humidity and light). I brush my teeth, and take the meds= keep them linked to a normal part of getting up and going to bed. If they need to be taken with meals, keep them near the plates/cups/whatever.

I also have seizures at night- complex partial, but I wake up with the inside of my mouth and/or tongue chewed up, headachey, and feel like I've been hit by a bus..... it's almost worse than daytime seizures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

I can't trust my own memory anymore. I set my pills in a pill box for each day of the week. As an additional reminder, my watch is set with a timer that automatically goes off at a specified time. This is the absolute best way to ensure that I take my pills and it is foolproof for me. I also carry extra dosages in my pocketbook in case I'm away from home.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting her drive if she's still having seizures - regardless of the law or even if the doctor gives her permission. Teens don't always use the best judgment and if she isn't responsible to remember to take her medication, then I wouldn't feel comfortable letting her get behind the wheel of a 2,000 lb. vehicle. I was 17 when I started having seizures and my youngest child is turning 17 in a few months, so I see both sides of the argument.

I still would not let her drive until she showed some responsibility about getting her epilepsy under control - for her sake as well as others on the road.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
(female)

caza HB User

hi yes you are both right if i didnt give her the tabs and watch her put them in her mouth she would never remember thanx for the kick up the backside i needed take care everyone caza

Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

No problem - that's what we're all here for - advice and support.

Closed Thread