It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
(male)

dnadna1 HB User
is this real epilepsy or pseudo seizures

i have got recently married since seven moths and live with my parents and elder sister (not married) who is older than my wife.
after two month of my marriage one day evening i found my wife sleeping with her teeths clinched tightly and the limbs stiff....we went to neuro who did a video eeg where she had a attack which goes like this----she starts breathing heavily ,then starts closing her fist tightly and the feets strched to maximum and all of a sudden afetr 2 mins everything stops and she becomes unconcious with her teeths clenched ---the video EEg was normal and the doctor says it is pseudo seizures.....since then she was put on quitipin and some high doses of sleep tabs....after a month one night she bit her tongue and passed urine in the bed....we were told by the doctors this was real seizure and may have been due to high dosage of drugs...from that day she was put on zapis 2 mg and stablon .....but offlate her attacks have cjanged....she now has giddiness and falls down...there is no other action apart from the fall as we is awake and nothing else.she has fallen about 8-10 times and in these 10 times, 8 times she has fallen from stair case. in this fall she is hurting herself and this happens generally in the morning times only.....is this pseudo seizures or real seizures

Old 11-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: is this real epilepsy or pseudo seizures

It's hard to know for sure. Many people with true epilepsy also have pseudoseizures (which are not deliberate 'faking', but some other reason for the episodes besides abnormal electrical activity in the brain). The video EEG saying it's not seizures may mean that the one they caught wasn't epileptic; others might be. It's hard to know. I'm not familiar with the medications, as they probably have different names in India. I'd ask the docs to check an ambulatory 24-72 hour EEG that she'd wear at home, and for other testing to rule out or diagnose what's really going on.
Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
(male)

dnadna1 HB User

i got a CT scan of her brain which also was normal....will this help you to asses the case?

Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

In most seizures, a cause isn't identified. A normal CT scan doesn't mean she does or doesn't have seizures. Also, EEGs can be read by doctors differently. One doctor may see some subtle changes, that another doesn't. Witnessed accounts are very helpful, as are any sensations she feels before, during, and after. Depending on the part of the brain being involved, any combination of symptoms can occur. It's really hard to rule out seizures vs pseudoseizures in all of hers, simply because of the video EEG not picking up electrical changes during that one.

Maybe make a list of questions for her, and have her write some for her next doctor appointment.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
(male)

dnadna1 HB User

thanks for your help...need some more of it...
1.can anyone hurt themselves in pseudo seizures like falling from staircase and more often from the same spot and same manner.
2.does blackout occurs in general seizures even for a couiple of seconds....if yes how does anybody identify?
3.is bititng of tongue and passing of urine in bed once okay????
4.can she fake tongue bite again in pseudo attacks?

thanks

Old 11-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

With pseudoseizures, most people (not all) do not injure themselves, lose bladder control, or have amnesia for the event. It all depends on the underlying cause for the non-epileptic occurance. There are so many variables. Some people have seizures that are seizures, but due to sleep loss, low blood sugar, drinking alcohol, water intoxication, electrolyte imbalance, stroke, migraines (not actually seizures, but act like some types), etc.... lots of things look like seizures, can be seizures, or are seizures, but might not be repetitive electrical impulse disorders to be called epilepsy.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

like neurowreck said in most cases, with pseudozszs you dont hurt yourself. when my neuro was trying to determine if i was having pseudoszs he was looking at things like tongue biting, incontinence, and injuring ones self. another big key was how the fists clenched up in a tonic clonic. and my parents had filmed me having a sz and he determined that it looked epileptic. i think its something like how they turn inwards and posture, but dont quote me on that. but also w/ pseudoszs you can get injured from what you were doing at the time. like i would always be running, so they thought i had pseudoszs. i would often times fall of treadmills and get pretty bruised up. i think the main key is looking for tongue biting and incontinence, at least thats what i was told. and also pseudoszs are real as well, they are just as scary as epileptic, they just come from a diff place.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

True, and not all pseudoseizures are "grand mal"....there can be non-epileptic partial-like events, without the limb movement.

With "grand mal" pseudoseizures, there is generally exaggerated movements, and resisitance to anyone trying to protect head/limbs (which can hurt the person helping- been there, done that- hands hurt with her head slamming against my hands- to the floor- as soon as I guarded her head lightly-not restraining)....also, saw a patient one time who kept telling the nurse "you have to stay with me- it's coming" over and over.... he was far too aware of his surroundings to be having the sort of seizure he'd been diagnosed with (had actual epilepsy AND pseudoseizures). Never did have anything that looked like his diagnosed seizures.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
(female)

bulldogdozer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurowreck View Post
True, and not all pseudoseizures are "grand mal"....there can be non-epileptic partial-like events, without the limb movement.

With "grand mal" pseudoseizures, there is generally exaggerated movements, and resisitance to anyone trying to protect head/limbs (which can hurt the person helping- been there, done that- hands hurt with her head slamming against my hands- to the floor- as soon as I guarded her head lightly-not restraining)....also, saw a patient one time who kept telling the nurse "you have to stay with me- it's coming" over and over.... he was far too aware of his surroundings to be having the sort of seizure he'd been diagnosed with (had actual epilepsy AND pseudoseizures). Never did have anything that looked like his diagnosed seizures.
I HAVE LOOKED INTO MYSELF, AS A PERSON WITH SEVERE EPILEPSY I BELIEVE IT NOT ATTENTION PEOPLE ARE DEMONSTRAITING BUT A FORM OF RELESEMENT THEY OR WE ARE EXPERIENCING, BEFORE OR AFTER A SEIZURE. CALLED AURALS, WHICH COME IN A MILLION DIFFERENT TYPES AND STYLES, THEY SHOUD BE OR THIS PERSON AND MOST PEOPLE SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Auras are simple partial seizures, that many people have before the rest of the seizure (that they are often unaware of). True- they come in many types.

Pseudoseizures are not felt to be attention seeking ('malingering') anymore- they used to be. It's just not a seizure in the sense that it's caused by electrical impulses going haywire in the brain- it can be a sort of emotional release that the person is not consciously aware of. But it's also important to rule out true seizures, as to not put someone on anticonvulsant drugs, which are not meant for pseudoseizures- they might need medication, but more along the lines of antidepressants, or antianxiety medication.

The term 'pseudoseizure' is being phased out, in favor of "non-epileptic event" and other terms that do not imply that someone is faking it.

Other clues:
With epileptic seizures, the person is often very groggy and has at least partial memory loss for the event- they don't get up and say "what happened?"....they know if they've had a true seizure, and don't ask a lot of questions (except during the diagnostic phase when they're not familiar with the feelings that so many of us describe as being hit by a bus, needing to sleep, etc).

With non-epileptic seizures, the persons' awareness is there enough to 'fight' (like the head banging when the head is being protected), and the limb movements are not symmetrical and often exaggerated with a lot of flailing and arching. I"ve even seen one guy do karate type movements during his 'seizure'....but it's also important to note that people with frontal lobe seizures display odd gestures, and they are real epileptic events.

It's important to not ignore non-epileptic events, and get to the reasons behind them, but also not make them more than they are- like the previous poster said, there can be emotional release with them, which says they need some help to learn more productive ways of coping with whatever is troubling them. They aren't intentionally 'faking'.... but it's not epilepsy, so needs to be dealt with differently. They can take on a life of their own if the person is craving human contact and has found that the "seizures" bring people closer to him/her. There has to be help provided to deal with the underlying cause.

Closed Thread