It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
My Stay At Hospital To Test For Seizures /can Anyone Help With My Questions????

HI EVERYONE WELL I WENT TO THE VEGG ,AND IAM VERY DISAPOINTED ,IM NOT SURE IF THIS IS SEIZURES OR SEVERE PANIC ATTACKS ,OK IM IN THE BED AND I WAS HAVING SOME TYPE OF ATTACK AND WHAT I WAS DOING WAS I STARTED FEELING VERY WEIRD AND MY EYES KEPT FLICKERING REALLY BAD I COULD NOT RESPOND TO THE STAFF I HEARD WHAT THEY WERE SAYING BUT I JUST COULDNT TALK,THIS HAPPENED FOR LIKE 4 OR 5 TIMES THE FIRST DAY I GOT THERE OK WHEN THEY SAW I TAKE XANAX 1 MG FOR PANIC ,BOOM THEY SENT IN THE PSYCHIATRIST AND THEY THE PSYCHIATRIST WAS TELLING ME ITS PANIC NOT SEIZURES I DONT KNOW ALLS I KNOW IS I HAVE NEVER HAD THESES SPELLS WHEN I FIRST STARTED XANAX AND I ONLY TAKE AS NEEDED WHEN I FEEL A ATTACK COMING ON .I WAS ALLWAYS TOLD ITS PANIC BUT IM NOT SURE MAYBE IT IS BUT I ASK IF PANIC CAN CAUSE YOU TO FAINT OR HAVE HORRIBLE HEADACHES AND ALL HAVE TOLD ME NO ,I GET DIZZY SOMETIMES BEFORE I FALL AND SOMETIMES I DONT EVEN FEEL IT COMING THEY HAD ME SO UPSET I WAS SUPPOSE TO STAY 3 DAYS BUT I LEFT AFTER 1 DAY BECAUSE THEY THE PSYCHIATRIST UPSET ME SO BAD THEY WANTED TO TAKE MY XANAX AWAY YES I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO DO ABUSE THEM BUT IM NOT ONE OF THEM I TOOK A XANAX AT LIKE 6AM THEN THEY DIDNT BRING ME ANOTHER TILL LIKE 10PM OR AFTER I LAID THERE WITH PANIC BUT I DIDNT ASK FOR ANY EITHER I WAS TOO UPSET ,SO WHAT DOES A SEIZURE DO AND CAN THEY SEEM THE SAME AS A PANIC ATTACK I AM SO CONFUSED CAUSE SOMETIMES I WILL BE HAPPY AND SINGING AND WALKING AND OUT OF THE BLUE I WILL JUST FALL FOR NO REASON AT ALL AND IM NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT NOTHING ,LIKE SAY I WAS AT MY BROTHERS FOR A COOKOUT ONCE AND ALL OF A SUDDEN WITHOUT WARNING I FELL TO THE GROUND AND MY EYES DID THAT FLICKERING AND I COULDNT TALK OR MOVE AND MY BODY WENT LIMP WHICH IS WHAT IT DOES ANYTIME I HAVE A FALL MY HUSBAND WHOS 250 LBS CANT EVEN LEFT ME UP CAUSE IM TOO HEAVY TO LEFT AND IM WAY SMALLER THEN HE IS MY EYES JUST FLICKER FOR ABOUT 5 MINS SO CAN ANYONE TELL ME DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SEIZURES OR PANIC I WONT GET RESULTS BACK TILL 2 WEEKS PLUS WHY DID THEY SEND IN A PSYCHIATRIST I DIDNT GO THERE FOR THAT I WENT TO FIND OUT ABOUT THE SPELLS AND HEADACHES AND THE PSYCHIATRIST IS BLAMING IT ON MY XANAX WHICH I ONLY TAKE WHEN I FEEL A SPELL OR WHATEVER IT IS COMING ON LIKE I START GETTING REALLY SHAKY AND NERVOUS AND THEN I FREAK OUT AND THATS WHEN I START DOING THE EYE THING AND FAINT AND AFTER ITS OVER I CRY BUT SOMETIMES I DONT CRY SO IM VERY CONFUSED AND IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE HOSPITAL NOT THE STAFF BUT THE PSYCHIATRIST I DID NOT GO THERE FOR THAT I WENT FOR THE FAINTING AND HEADACHES SO I LEFT EARLY THEY WANTED ME TO STAY THE FULL 3 DAYS I STAYED FROM 6AM MONDAY TILL 10AM TUESDAY I WANTED OUT OF THERE FAST,SO ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN ANSWER MY QUESTIONS HERE PLEASE.
VICKIE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User
Re: My Stay At Hospital To Test For Seizures /can Anyone Help With My Questions????

Vickie,

I don't know if they are panic attacks or seizures, but there could be two reasons they wanted to take away the xanax during the testing. One - is to rule out that the symptoms are a side effect of the drug and two - so the xanax doesn't mask any symptoms. You're probably best off having all tests without having the xanax in your system to see what's really going on.

They probably called in a psychiatrist because it appears that you were claiming that you needed to have the xanax, and that is why they are leaning towards calling it panic attacks. Just for the record, my seizures do not sound anything like yours.

At this point, it's probably best to wait for the results of the testing and discuss the concerns with your dr. In the meantime, start writing down a list of questions for your dr. and chart any other episodes you may have.

Please keep us posted and good luck.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User
Re: My Stay At Hospital To Test For Seizures /can Anyone Help With My Questions????

Hi Vickie,

I asked my family about my eyes flickering like you describe
after you fall and my parents said,yes sometimes they do.
the main difference in me and you is that I do not know what
is going on around me at all,as I posted under your other thread,
after the drop yours could be simple partials where mine in definitely
complex partials,and sometimes the grand mals.
Good-luck and let us know what the docs say.Also as Life puts it,
the doctors could have wanted to take you off the meds for those
reasons,especially wanting to see if the Xanax could be causing you
to have seizures or hoping you would have a panic attack in front of
them,if they are panic attacks,but,I doubt it,especially the way you
say you are just walking along all happy and everything then bam you
fall,etc.
Take care,Sherri

Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sherri and life thanks for your replys ,i called the dr and they havent got my results back yet and what upset me was they wanted to put me on zoloft which i dont have a prob with that but they were saying panic before they even got my results back but the dr who i saw in his office and one came to the hospital said from what he saw so far does seem like seizures ,see back in sept 06 i started having these falls and i wasnt on xanax that long they put me on effexor xr for panic and i took a whole yr and i was still having the falls but not nothing like im having none ,i was doing my laundry lastnight and i felt dizzy and i had to sit down cause i felt like i was going to fall also i read on the internet that seizures some types that is also have depression is this true ? my head still hurts and everything and the main reason im depressed is because of the spells ,i cant drive ,i cant go into stores and i cant do nothing alone at home i even fall down for no reason the other night i was getting me a pepsi and i allmost fell and i was fine allday but iam under alot of stress due to the falls and maybe thats whats making it worse,i do know that i did this very same thing as a child and back in june i blacked out totally when i tried to take a walk ,see what happens is this i can go for days or a few weeks without any falls and im happy and singing and dancing and i went to nero dr that day and walked in there alone so proud and was talking to the staff about how proud i was and i wasnt feeling any different and was at the desk because the dr wanted me to go have the vegg done and boom down i went no warning no nothing,and im getting scared and also depressed because i hate living this way will they find out if its a seizures if i stayed 1 day i did have 5 attacks while i was there and when they did take the xanax away more or less i didnt have a panic attack i just laid there and waited to see if they'd bring me one i didnt ask for it but my chest was hurting and i felt horrible and before i got a xanax i had another attack with the eyes and i have never heard of panic making your eyes do this i have had panic in the past and or if it was panic i never felt this way .so im waiting on my results ,
and i will let you know as soon as i get my results.
vickie

Old 11-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Vickie,

I feel so bad that you have these attacks and they can't figure it out. Noone should have to suffer like this. I wonder why it's taking so long to get the results. It's a week already, you should get on the phone and demand some answers! I'm getting angry for you. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by life_is_good; 11-27-2007 at 05:38 AM.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

life,
i will keep you posted and i called yesterday and they said the drs havent looked at them yet so by what i posted does this sound like panic or seizures ? i have had what they told me were panic but everytime i call a mental place and tell them what i do the fainting and my eyes flickering and feeling like they are trying to roll back in my head they tell me it sounds like seizures said they have never heard of anyone that has fainted nor did the eye thing with a panic and if its panic id feel it coming on with whats happening now i sometimes dont feel it coming i just drop and lay there cant speak my eyes do that strange thing i feel numb my mouth trys to talk but i cant i hear the people but i cant say nothing then about 5 mins its over and this has been happening alot ,like i can go for weeks id say a month or sometimes 2 weeks then i have another attack then go a bit longer and feel great and think i have this thing licked then i will fall again .and lastnight i called a stress center and they told me that was i told them what i do sounds like seizures not panic so see those psychiatrist were saying panic when i dont even have my results back yet and if i have to go back again and they take the xanax so be it i will prove to them its not panic doing this i know my own body and it dont feel like a panic attack to me im calling them again today ,how long should it take for them to get the results back i was only there 1 day i never would have left but those psychiatrist had me so upset i wanted to go home they were putting words in my mouth that wasnt true plus i take 1 mg xanax as needed and they wanted to switch me to 0.5 of klonipins and lasttime i took a 0.5 of xanax i felt horrible my whole body hurt ,i was shaky and nervous ,couldnt sleep nor eat and alls i did for 3 whole days was cry thats when i went to a inpatient place because they thought i was depressed which i was but i been doing some reading off the net and it says some people get depression from seizures and i was depressed but it was because of my spells and not being able to drive and because i fainted all the time june was the worst month for me i blackedout totally and ended up at ER and they thought i overdosed on meds and i told them no i showed them what meds i took and alls i took was b/p and xanax as needed so that couldnt have done it because i switched b/p meds and im still fainting so i do not know what is going on do you think if i had the 5 attacks while i was there it will show them if its seizures or is seizures hard to catch???
i promise to keep you and sherri posted what do you do when you have seizures??? my mom told me as a child id just be out playing or standing in the house and id just passout and i was out cold a few times she said but the drs told her id out grow it well i did but i think its come back and seizures do run on my dad's side of the family and my brother has this thing he does but he dont fall down he takes his hands and shakes really bad and cant stop he can do this for hrs and hes done it his whole life hes now 47 and i think his is a form of epilep or something but back when we were small the drs dont know what they know today.let me know what your seizures do and please tell me if this sounds like panic or seizures i dont think its panic though cause panic makes me freakout and with what im doing now i just drop i dont have time to freakout......
vickie

Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Vickie,

I am not in a position to say whether what you are experiencing is either panic attacks or seizures. There are many different types of seizures and they differ for everyone. I have never had a normal EEG in my life, so for me, there is no question. Since you asked, I've had grand mal seizures, as well as smaller ones where I'm conscious, but completely unable to respond. It bothers me that they are taking their time getting around to giving you answers. What I can tell you is that stress can bring on seizures and in your case, perhaps the two have overlapped.

If I were you, at this point, I'd be calling the doctor's office daily and pushing the staff to get those results asap. Do not be concerned whether your episodes are panic attacks or seizures. The main objective is to figure out the source of them and get them under control. Speak up for yourself and be strong. Keep pressing for answers. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I'm sorry you're having this problem & hope you find an answer soon. Have you been checked for Meniere's disease. You can have drop attacks & nystagmus with that. It also sounds like it could be seizures. Good luck.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
(female)

Kimwwe HB User

Hi Vicki,
I can just tell you from my experience since I take Xanax and have seizures. I got in a small accident in my car but did not get knocked out. Five days after I got my first grand mal seizure. I took Xanax as needed before that. I've noticed only when I'm really tired my eyes tend to flicker like I can't keep them closed. My orginal Doc. told me to take the Xanax per the prescription to lessen stress and to sleep (lack of sleep caused the first one). The only thing now is Xanax is the only thing keeping away my seizures. Thats because I take 2 mg's 4 times a day which is alot. When I went in the hospital for a long term EEG, the 1st nice of sleep deprivation and no Xanax caused my auras to start which are terrible sounds like halucinating and time comes to a total stop. I know its my body sensing that I don't have the Xanax after a 24 hour period and causes my auras. So the next day of course I had a grand mal seizure. That's just my experience with Xanax and seizure. Try to take as little as possible if you need to take it or it will cause more problems which "mental" withdrawal. My Doc. says I can't stop them now until I find the correct seizure medication so Xanax don't even work for Anxiety anymore. Just be careful with them. I don't have the partial seizures but my eyes do twitch as times.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Fainting can cause eye flickering, and falling (obviously), so there's a reason to get that ruled out. Taking away the Xanax suddenly can cause seizures in someone who is not epileptic, but in my understanding of VEEGs is that they're done with as little medication as possible, to see how the body works off of meds. (that part would scare me- I'm a mess off meds). I've never had a VEEG, but have heard about them.

The shrink is just part of ruling out various things- I don't think they thought you were nuts, just doing a full evaluation. He can help figure out what things are NOT as well as what things are.... I've talked to them before, just to rule out any stress related things, and they've been useful. I'd go back for the rest of the test, and if the shrink comes back (though you can refuse to see him, doing that makes it look like you're avoiding him- for whatever reasons- and that can be interpreted as a psychiatric part of why you're there- even if you're not.....just go with the flow ). You need the best answers possible to get the best treatment possible.

If I had the chance to have a VEEG, I'd go- I'd be terrified of being off of the anticonvulsants (and no doc should cold turkey any benzodiazepine meds - Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Tranxene, etc since they can cause seizures in anybody, and cause a false positive reaction). And bring on the shrink- I'll yak enough to bore him out of the room !!! LOL

I hope you can find the reasons for what you're going through- it's hard to not know, and then have a bad experience trying to find out.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurowreck View Post
If I had the chance to have a VEEG, I'd go- I'd be terrified of being off of the anticonvulsants (and no doc should cold turkey any benzodiazepine meds - Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Tranxene, etc since they can cause seizures in anybody, and cause a false positive reaction). And bring on the shrink- I'll yak enough to bore him out of the room !!! LOL
I just got out of the hospital Saturday after an 11 day VEEG. They didn't take me off my meds completely until I had been there almost a week. I was titrated very slowly off the Topamax and Keppra I've been taking. I wish they had let me go cold turkey, but they don't want you to have a Grand Mal seizure as it affects the entire brain. They can't find a focal point for your seizures if your whole brain is affected!

My epi. doc wasn't happy with the simple partial seizures I had during my stay--it wasn't enough. When you have a VEEG, they want you to have complex partial seizures. Now my doc wants to repeat the test in a month or two.

No thanx!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I have complex partials anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem here !! But if you're not used to them, I guess they sound awful....I just feel the aura, then 'come to' very tired, feel like I've been hit by a bus, and want to sleep....

I guess the reason I'd want to have it done is to get the most updated diagnostic testing done with EEGs....almost all of my 20 minute ones come back fine since they're scheduled, and not during seizures. Only longer ones (24 hour was what my neuro found CPS waves on) find anything, unless I'm about 18 hours out of a seizure, then it's
'diffuse slowing'.... not that helpful, just different.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi all well would the dr conseder letting me go back and try again and they didnt take the xanax but wanted to put me on anti d's but i was upset because of my fainting and i just wanted to be better and find out whats going on and the reason i got upset is because the psychiatrist kept coming in there trying to tell me i was hooked on xanax which i dont think iam but if they have to try again and take the meds so be it its just when i dont have a xanax to calm me down i cry and get nervous and terrifed and they wanted to lower my dose to 0.5 but if it would help find out whats wrong with me i will try anything at this point before they even took any of my medications i had 5 attacks because i freakedout and thats when i get the attacks is when im scared sometimes not .so by going can they also see if its panic or just seizures??? i been calling his office daily trying to find out if they have my results back but so far they havent and im getting impatient .so should i ask to be retested was 1 day enough ??
vickie

Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

Vickie,

Did you ask when you can expect to receive the results? That should be a good starting point.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes they told me when i left hospital id have the results back by friday or monday i was at hospital monday nov 19th and they told me that friday or the folloween monday and so far i still dont have results and i call everyday and i still get the same answer the dr hasnt looked at the results yet and im getting frustrated im at the point to where i either wait and see what my results are to find a new nero dr ,i need answers now and i dont know whats taking so long.
vickie

Closed Thread