It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

melly in nv HB User
photosensitive epilepsy?

Hello! My name is Melanie and I'm concerned about my 5 year old son. Due to a lot of illness (him then me then my husband) he's been playing a ton of video games. This past weekend he began chewing on his shirt. Then yesterday he began making a little yip. He does it about 3 or 4 times a minute and is somewhat oblivious to doing it. He'll even do it mid-sentence and just continue talking. Now he's telling me he has a headache and has been ultra emotional. His birth-mother has severe epilepsy.

I've been looking online and am interested in photosensitive epilepsy. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'll be making an appointment with a nuerologist tomorrow. Of course I'm worried about him. I would appreciate any advice or support.
Thank you.
Melanie

Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: photosensitive epilepsy?

Persons whose seizures are "triggered" by lights or related are "photo-epileptic". It is a sub-group of the epilepsy community. Some of the triggers are the "tube" TV's and computer screens, any sort of flashing light (holiday lighting on chase pattern or twinkle) Florescent lights (long tubes especially) and compact can cause problems as well.

Short term idea: polarized sunglasses MAY help slightly, but only a little bit.

Patterns (carpet, walls; "checkerboard") can be a problem. Stick to solids.

The Neuro is the best way for information on your specific case.

I am not effected by lighting or items like that thankfully. I worked concerts many years and the strobes/lasers never effected me.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

life_is_good HB User

I have photosensitive epilepsy (in addition to other types of seizures). A neurologist will want to do an EEG and get some history on his birth mother, if you have it. An EEG will include flashing lights and will record any unusual brain activity if he is in fact reacting to the lights. Even people without epilepsy can get headaches from playing those video games, so I wouldn't look too deeply into it just yet. In the meantime, I would limit his time with those video games until his testing is completed and you get the results.

Try not to worry, it could be absolutely nothing, but you're doing the right thing by having him checked, especially with his birth mother's history. Please keep us posted.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
(female)

melly in nv HB User

Thank you very much for your replies. I will keep you updated as to what the doctor has to say. I would like him to have an EEG....better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks again.
Melanie

Closed Thread