It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
(male)

anders15 HB User
Sudden Seizure, Need immediate help.

Ok so I'm now a senior in high school and since 6th grade I have had pass out spells and got diagonosed with Vasovagal syncope as I've listed in all of my threads. Well I've also been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have what seems to be bad anxiety attacks where I feel so physically ill that I'm going to die. The real reason why I am here is to check if this is normal. I haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy but this is the closest I could come to my undiagnosed seizure. On monday I was at the eye doctor when my stomach started cramping up. I knew I was going to pass out so to make a long story short I did. I was rushed to the ER and sent by ambulance to an upgraded hospital. I had a seizure and have been having them since 6th grade just they thought I was just passing out but they always seem to come from stomach cramps which make me pass out. Also, I got an EEG which reveiled hardly nothing, and an MRI which showed Venous Angioma which isn't serious. However I need an explanation, the doctors just arent doing it. My heart is fine, my head seems to be ok besides the persistent dizziness and that seizure I had which lasted about 3 minutes. I feel like there is no hope and I'm going to die and my doctors say it's nothing serious. they think it was the Cymbalta which caused it but I have had one well before I started having anxiety. But I'm worried that I may have Parkinson's or epilepsy or some underlying illness that they won't find in time. and I am a very active athlete who will probably pursue my future in athletics. I need help and need it fast. I get soo dizzy and so derealized it's pathetic. I need some sort of advice and need it quick, I have been suffering with illnesses for over 5 months now and can't take it anymore. I'm in serious need. Sorry it was lengthy but I shortened it up the best way I could. Any kind of advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Sudden Seizure, Need immediate help.

OK, first of all, the vasovagal syncope can cause a lot of the same symptoms as seizures (I've got those as well as epilepsy, and the only way I know the difference is how I feel before hand- like with the weird chest feeling for both, although they are also different, as well as the 'tunnel vision' before passing out- I don't get that with the seizures).

A negative EEG doesn't mean no seizures, but just that they didn't 'catch' one during the EEG. The venous angioma may be causing seizures, as it's something that's not usually in the brain, and might cause pressure on parts of your brain, especially if you're anxious, and your blood pressure is likely up.

Tell your MD you need HIM to tell you what's going on so you understand it- it's hard to get evaluated for something and not have anyone really clear things up for you (had that last week myself, with an abnormal brain MRI....found info on the internet, and also a nurse friend near where I used to work).

The good news is that if they thought you had something horrible, you wouldn't have been allowed to go home, and would be going through every test in the book. You still might have tests in the future, but that doesn't mean you have something dreadful. And even if you do have seizures, at least it's an answer that has treatments......

Best of luck to you

Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi i just wanted to say i get that feeling in my chest and stomach both before i fall too and i start getting nervous and scared i dont have my results yet but i didnt know about the chest and stomach feelings with seizures i have appt with my neuro jan 8th so it seems i may have to wait till then to find out .i too have panic disorder for awhile but never knew i had it till feb 06 but i never ever fainted from panic ,so now that im reading this makes me think it is seizures ,i just dont know and im like you my dr has not got back with me on my results i had MRI and BRAINWAVE back in march and the dr told me he didnt find anything but at that time i wasnt falling like iam now and i didnt have bad headaches or the stomach or weird chest feelings like iam now .alls i do is walk acrossed a room and fall down sometimes i do have the weird chest feeling and stomach pain and i get dizzy sometimes too .and wow i did hear that its hard to pick up stuff on a brainwave or mri sometimes but when i went to hospital for my veeg i had 5 attacks so im hoping they find out something not that i want seizures but if it is seizures at least we can get on the proper meds and start living normal again like you said you started having passing out spells in 6th grade i started when i was 4 then went away and came back in sept 06 and have just gotten worse since .i hope you get answers too like me im waiting and its the hardest thing to do cause i want to know now i dont want to wait another month and im the same way i was allways terrifed about dieing and being alone so i never left my house my husband has to take me anywhere i have to go and i hate it cause i want my life back i dont like living this way either .and neuro have you ever heard of anyone fainting from xanax ?? im not sure if this can happen or not i have called many mental wards and they have all told me no xanax would not cause fainting or seizures said if i was to stop them i might have seizures or fainting or even worse man i cant wait to get my results then i will at least know what is going on and i hope you the best finding your answerts too i forget who started this thread and if i go back i will lose all this .
vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 11-29-2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: anders 15 wish you luck and keep us posted ..

Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
(male)

anders15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
hi i just wanted to say i get that feeling in my chest and stomach both before i fall too and i start getting nervous and scared i dont have my results yet but i didnt know about the chest and stomach feelings with seizures i have appt with my neuro jan 8th so it seems i may have to wait till then to find out .i too have panic disorder for awhile but never knew i had it till feb 06 but i never ever fainted from panic ,so now that im reading this makes me think it is seizures ,i just dont know and im like you my dr has not got back with me on my results i had MRI and BRAINWAVE back in march and the dr told me he didnt find anything but at that time i wasnt falling like iam now and i didnt have bad headaches or the stomach or weird chest feelings like iam now .alls i do is walk acrossed a room and fall down sometimes i do have the weird chest feeling and stomach pain and i get dizzy sometimes too .and wow i did hear that its hard to pick up stuff on a brainwave or mri sometimes but when i went to hospital for my veeg i had 5 attacks so im hoping they find out something not that i want seizures but if it is seizures at least we can get on the proper meds and start living normal again like you said you started having passing out spells in 6th grade i started when i was 4 then went away and came back in sept 06 and have just gotten worse since .i hope you get answers too like me im waiting and its the hardest thing to do cause i want to know now i dont want to wait another month and im the same way i was allways terrifed about dieing and being alone so i never left my house my husband has to take me anywhere i have to go and i hate it cause i want my life back i dont like living this way either .and neuro have you ever heard of anyone fainting from xanax ?? im not sure if this can happen or not i have called many mental wards and they have all told me no xanax would not cause fainting or seizures said if i was to stop them i might have seizures or fainting or even worse man i cant wait to get my results then i will at least know what is going on and i hope you the best finding your answerts too i forget who started this thread and if i go back i will lose all this .
vickie
I am on the one that started the thread and I got my results. And it just showed the venous angioma, but I feel like there's something more because I literally feel like I'm dying and they say it's a very bad case of anxiety, because Ive had a full body check and everythings good. i just don't understand it, my brain is so chemically unbalanced. Does your pass out spells start from stomach cramps and do you feel like your not your self as if your always out of it? Also what are your symptoms of your panic/anxiety attacks.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

What I would encourage you to do is at your NeXT Dr apt. don't let them leave until your questions are answered to YOUR satisfaction. Have a notebook with your current questions written down and do not let them escape the room until they have answered ALL the questions. Especially the ones about athletics. They can answer it better than we can knowing your case history.

In general, athletics are encouraged, under the assumption your condition (whatever it is for anybody) is controlled and not effected by overexertion.

Your stomach cramp sensation could be your warning that the episode is going to start shortly. Mine (before, stopped few years ago) was a ringing in my ear/s and an electric sensation a few seconds before my GM's would hit.

--Travis

Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Agree with Travis- write your questions down- it's easy to forget them once you're in the office.

Anxiety can feel like you're dying. It can also bring on passing out. If the docs aren't concerned about doing anything about the angioma, I'd be reassured. They don't mess with really damaging things in the brain. I know it feels scary, and I'd have fears, as well (and I'm in the medical profession- can't say what due to board rules- and I still get the willies when I get a new diagnosis I'm not that familiar with ). Being nervous and having questions is normal- but having anxiety to the point of feeling like you're dying is something that can be helped with medication.

Talk to your doc- write down your questions- mail him/her a letter with your questions before the appt, AND bring them in yourself. Then they can plan for the time needed to discuss this with you

Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
(male)

anders15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurowreck View Post
Agree with Travis- write your questions down- it's easy to forget them once you're in the office.

Anxiety can feel like you're dying. It can also bring on passing out. If the docs aren't concerned about doing anything about the angioma, I'd be reassured. They don't mess with really damaging things in the brain. I know it feels scary, and I'd have fears, as well (and I'm in the medical profession- can't say what due to board rules- and I still get the willies when I get a new diagnosis I'm not that familiar with ). Being nervous and having questions is normal- but having anxiety to the point of feeling like you're dying is something that can be helped with medication.

Talk to your doc- write down your questions- mail him/her a letter with your questions before the appt, AND bring them in yourself. Then they can plan for the time needed to discuss this with you

Well it was my neuro who said it was ok to play sports and that the angioma is nothing big or nothing to worry about at all. I just get so dizzy and so sick sometimes it's unbelievable but I have basically a clean slate of health besides the polyp on my gallbladder and the venous angioma, neither of which the doctor says are abnormal. I just can't convince myself. I mean no medicines work for me but Xanax but it doesn't chemically balance my brain out right, I need an Anti Depressant but can't find one that seems to work. It's hard very hard, I'm just trying to get past the point of thinking there's something serious wrong with me when I've have numerous tests done multiple times and nothing has showed up each time. I just feel as if there is some underlying illness that can't be cured. That's how bad my anxiety is and how big of a hypochondriac I am. Should I really be this worried?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I'm not sure I'd say you're a hypochondriac as much as someone who hasn't felt he's been understood by the docs, or gotten adequate explanations about what's going on. And anxiety is real- it's a body's reaction to some trigger- many times not even something that registers as anxiety-producing. Once the fight or flight response gets going, anxiety to varying degrees is actually the healthy response to stay on guard- it's just a problem when the anxiety outweighs the actual threat- and not knowing in a way that makes sense to you can feel like a threat- but it's the body responding, not you being a nutjob The neurocardiogenic syncope can have some unpleasant symptoms as does dysautonomia (you might look that one up- not familial, but the other type- many sites)- that may answer a lot of questions. And there are medications for that as well.

Closed Thread