It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Unhappy please someone tell me does depression come with seizures im so frustrated here .....

anyone out there please tell me does having seizures cause you to cry and get so depressed you think you have no life which is how i feel i go no where only once in awhile if i do go i stay in the car i dont drive i cant even take a walk down the street without passingout this has me so frustrated i know i have neuro appt but do any of you ever cry after you have a seizure??? my old dr who left the practice the staff says they cant refill my xanax or darvacets which i hate taking both what would happen if i dont have any will my seizures get worse ? iam going back to my other dr i had before this one the only reason i switched was because the old dr was in another town and the new one was 10 mins away .i told them i would bring my bottle in each month and prove to them i dont over take my pills and they said well you need to get off them all together ok if thats what they want and they wont refill my xanax i wont have a chiose i have tried many many times to cut mine in half and make them 0.5 and i couldnt handle it my chest hurt i cried nonstop but im asking something can xanax cause seizure?? i ask a mental place about it and they said not while i was on them but if i was to stop them so im confused should i go into a rehab and get off to see if the seizures go away i dont know what to do anymore im trying to get the drs to listen to me and know that iam not a nut ,and im so stressed over this i cry all the time im so depressed because i cant do much of anything and im going to my mom's christmas and im scared i might have a fall and if i do i dont know what im going to do i been to ER so many times and alls they do is send me home and say make appt with your dr your fine well im not fine im miserable and i feel like i have NO LIFE and if it was panic i wouldnt have it in my house and i faint here at home too im scared to take a bath scared to be alone scared im going to die something is really wrong with me but no one is hearing me .sorry all i just had to vent im so upset and i just want my life back im hoping my old dr gives me klonipins cause i think the xanax causes me to sleep too much does klonipins do this my sister says they help her feel so much better and makes her clean house take a bath dress pretty go out and do stuff she likes to do is this true what does klonipins do for any of you .and i think i read where seizures make you depressed is this true have any of you ever cried from your seizures???
thanks for letting me vent im just so depressed and frustrated .....
vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
(female)

VA_girl HB User
Re: please someone tell me does depression come with seizures im so frustrated here .

I had real bad siezures like you for about 5 years, I was so scared and depressed just like you are describing. I tried about 5meds that just made me feel sicker and didn't help with seizures at all. I also ended up in the ER often, with no one who really understood. Mine were partial complex.
I went through the same exact sadness, fear and despair that you're going through. I don't think the seizures themselves cause those feelings, I think its our human reaction to get depressed and scared when we're out of control. I'm sorry for your suffering.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-30-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: please someone tell me does depression come with seizures im so frustrated here .

I guess I never had to worry about it. I grew up having seizures so for me it always was part of my life. Taking meds was just part of my life as was a shower or cereal in the morning. I never knew any different.

The argument goes around in a circle, so you try to avoid it. I mean, yah I'd like not to take the meds, but I always HAVE, I *need* my medication or I'll be in the hospital. I'll take my freedom over being in the hospital.

Without the medication I cannot have a productive or free life.

You may need to talk with a good friend or friends about your concern. Don't let this hold you down.

--Travis

Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
(male)

sztoomuch HB User

Many years ago, when I was in college, I took part in a study at the local hospital for my epilepsy. Since I had been diagnosed at 13, and since my grandfather also took Dilantin, the doctors wanted to know if there was a genetic component.

In that test, I was seen by a NeuroPsychologist. She explained to me that sometimes feelings of extreme sadness and depression may, in and of themselves, be seizures of a peculiar kind. Now, that was a long time ago (1970's), and hopefully there is some more research out there by now.

Currently, my doctors have me on a strict regimen of taking my medication. I have to take it within 30 minutes each day. This has helped me, as it provides a regular reminder to keep well and also to be careful.

Wishing I could help more...

Old 12-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Is it the seizures, or the loss of what was 'normal' that causes the depression ? I've wondered about that myself, since I don't fit the classical depression symptoms; medications can make people more prone to mood swings, as well as dealing with the unknown. Let the doc know- some of the meds for seizures are more or less likely to add to any existing depression. And there are medications that can help with the feelings- but sometimes, it's getting used to a diagnosis, and grieving what used to be normal. You still can do a lot of what you could before, just have to take precautions.... but it's hard at first.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hey all my depression so far is gone i started some 1 mg klonipins today that the dr gave me he gave me 15 to try and 1 mgs are too much but let me tell you my mind is much more clearer and i havent had a seizure i walked in to my daughters dr with her and never fell once came home and i have so much energy i cant sit still the klonipins are a wonder pill thats for sure maybe he gave a 1mg to help with the seizures cause i feel 100% better then i have in a long time ........
vickie
god does wonders for us dont he im keeping my fingers crossed but so far i feel soooooooooooo much better on the klonipins then i ever did on xanax and on xanax i had to take 3 mgs a day with klonipins i take 1mg and thats it .

Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thats good to hear.

The other thing to remember is medications can take time to become "stable" or normalize in our bodies. Some take as long as 3 weeks for the medication to become stable. Others are one week. One is even shorter than that.

I'm trying to say allow time for your medications to adapt with your body. Your body may initially have reactions until it adapts and the medication/s become normal for your body. This is why taking a normal dose on a regular basis (AM and PM for example) is required. It maintains the medication levels in our bodies.

If the medication levels drop in our system, or we fail to take the medications, our body reacts (seizures, hospital visits).

--Travis

Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

I'm on darvocet and xanax and i love it....

Yes, I've been depressed for years, since I started having seizures. It is not a glamorous lifestyle and it sure can make life difficult.

Watch "Control" which is the story of Ian Curtis who was the lead singer of Joy Division. He was epileptic and it really effected him to the point that he ended up committing suicide (although there were other problems in his life, what I got was that the epilepsy was the major cause of his depression).

Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow topamaxkillsme
yes my seizures do make me cry and get depressed depends on the day like somedays i do fine and not cry and other days i can cry allday long and think to myself i have no life well the first day on klonipins i done great then today which is the 2nd day i took a klonipin 1 mg and it wouldnt let me calm down so i had to go back on my xanax and within mins i was calm and i take the darvacets for my head or id be a basketcase but i feel im allready that .seizures are hard to deal with before my fsmily found out i was having seizures cause the drs kept saying panic which o have that too they use to think i sat around and brought the attacks on myself till they found out it was the seizures and not the panic only i have both and the depression at times too .so my family is more understanding now once they found out its the seizures causing all my troubles and not so much the panic i do get panic attacks just before i have a seizure .
vickie

Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I have had seizures for most of my life, so I hope I can be of some help to you. For years I was on two medications when all of a sudden, a new neuro wanted to change them and control me. she drugged me to the hills and kept telling me it was psychiatric!! I couldn't think straight, was crying all the time and spent three years on my sofa like a vegetable.

When I went to the new dr., I walked in with a spiral notebook in my hand and for three years kept track of all the medications and the levels, which is something you should do. If the dr. does not give you the results, demand them.

Of course you are depressed if you are not feeling well, but I am just wondering if you are overdrugged. It is important that you find out what your levels are.

As far as getting out of your house, please do me a favor and force yourself to walk around your block. The mind is VERY dangerous and can do lots of tricks on us. Believe me, I speak from experience because I had depression and it was nothing buy my mind ruling me. I said, Screw that! and would push myself a little every day.

Hang in there and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask any questions, but keep in mind that neurologists can be odd ducks!!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks all for your replies the meds im on right now is darvacets 2 a day as needed for pain which i take for the headaches ,3 xanax 1 mgs a day for panic and 10mgs of lisinopril my blood pressure is great on the 10mgs but the one neuro dr wanted to up me to 20 wekll i refused and my blood pressure is great its been running 104/69 --- 118/75 and heartrate is anywhere like 79-92 .and i also take prevacids too and thats all the meds i take my neuro dr didnt put me on anything as of yet my internal med dr put me on darvacets which i had to beg him for ,and as for the 3 xanax a day 1 mgs i been on that dose since feb 06 .i didnt start having the fainting spells till sepot 06 but wasnt bad just ever so often but in april it got worse but june is when it really got bad i took a walk by myself and didnt eb=ven ger 2 blocks from home and blackedout on the side walk i was taken to ER and i was out cold woke up in ER and they thought i overdosed i told them alls i took was a xanax and a blood pressure pill which at that time i was only on 5mgs they wanted to send me to a mental ward and i said what for ? just because i blackedout so i signed myself out and walked home .i see my neuro dr a new one at that ,nothing wrong with getting a 2nd oppion ,and all my family has went to this new neuro dr and hes helped alot and he listens plus takes statements from people who has seen my seizures and the more i think back i can remember being a small child and remember falling when i was out playing ,and this happened as a kid for awhile then when i got around 12 or so they stopped i have tried the klonipins 1 mgs 1 day it helped me ALOT i only had to take 1 but the 2nd day when i took 1 i couldnt calm down for nothing so after 6 hrs i had to take a xanax 1 mg and within mins i was calm can any of you tell me a little bit about the klonipins cause i hear its a seizure/anxiety med in one and can anyone tell me why i felt so great the 1st day i took 1 and then the 2nd day they wouldnt calm me down? plus if i take klonipins how long does it take to kick in to calm us down ? and how long do i take them till they start helping like xanax is right away but the klonipins are suppose to stay in our bodies longer but that 2nd day i just dont understand why i couldnt calm down .and my internal med dr gave me the konipins 15 to try to see how they work .so i may take one tomrrow and see what happens cause i should give them a try but if they dont calm me down i cant take them does it take awhile before they start helping ???
thanks everyone for all your help and support and this is new years day 2008 hope we all have a great year ,,,,,
vickie

Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

danabarb--

I'm with you on Med levels. I keep track when I can. My previous Doc usually gave me the lab results. I kept them written down. When he changed fields, I was handed over to another Neuro in that office. Needless to say when the new doc wanted to do drastic changes right away (and I was stable!) It brought up a red flag in my mind. The med he verbally suggested but failed to make note of in my charts (I found that odd) was a high risk med that my previous doc even disagreed with. My prior doc had no problem with me consulting him on that issue. It was nice to have a second opinion and knowledge that the med was a "last resort" high risk med.

When I changed Dr's after that friction to who I have now; He thought I was almost obsessing on my levels when he said my levels were off. I gave him a stern reply telling him what the problem was and that my levels of the med in question were NOT high based on the plasma tests if he were to go back to the last 3 tests and compare. He looked back and noted that I was correct.

He (current doc) does NOT like me being educated to the point I am on my meds. However we just about NEED to be for our safety. He proposed to lower my med by 200mg and I countered IF we are going to try that we better do it with the 100's and go slow based on the last attempt that failed and ended up in seizures.

--Travis

Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

This is just my opinion, Travis, but if you are doing well on your medications, stay with what you are on and, if necessary, change doctors. I know of a case where the medication was lowered and the person ended up in the hospital.

As I may have said, some neuros are odd ducks in more ways than one and I have found over the years that many are out to make a person who is not totally seizure free, free. You are in control of your body and if you are comfortable with the medications you are on now, just lay down the law!!!

I have even had a dr. suggest surgery to me, which went over like lead balloon.

Closed Thread