It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
(male)

killer5879 HB User
Conversion From Lamictal To Keppra

As my temporal lobe epilepsy is still not controlled, my neuro is weaning me off lamictal (over 10 week period). The substituted drug will be keppra, prescribed in increasing incremental dosages. I am concerned about one of the potential side effects of keppra, an altered emotional state. . .rage, depression, etc. I was wondering if anyone on this board has been converted to keppra from lamictal. Also, any experiences that could be shared regarding the potential keppra side effects would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
Re: Conversion From Lamictal To Keppra

My son was on Keppra for awhile. He did show signs of anger at times.The main thing is YOU HAVE TO GO SLOW in raising the dosage of Keppra as of any drugs for seizures. This could keep that rage some get with Keppra under control.

BTW, it did not control my son seizures ,but then again, we may not have gotten it high enough.

As for the Lamictal, it gave my son very very bad headaches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sherri5186 HB User

When I was on 3000mg of Keppra I also had problems
with anger and very,very,very drowsy.Now that I am
only on 500 mg. a day and take it at night,I don't
have any anger problems and the tiredness doesn't
bother me,because I am about to go to sleep anyway.
Good-luck,Sherri

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
(male)

killer5879 HB User

Thank you both for your insights. My dosage is going to be incrementally increased up to 2000 mg a day. Also, just in case, I've asked my wife to directly contact the neuro if my behavior becomes overly erratic.

Best of luck to all.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I'm up to 3000 mg/day of Keppra and never had any side effects. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
(male)

Kramer_DU HB User

I was never on Lamictal, but my neuro put me on Keppra on to of my Tegretol. The Keppra has worked wonders. After we got the dosage right I was seizure free for over a year, until now but that's on another thread. The side effects from Keppra weren't too bad for me. I did notice becoming agitated very easily and being mildly depressed once in a while, but that went away after a few months. The agitation was the worst. The littlest things got on my nerves, but the long term effect of Keppra was well worth the month or so of side effects. Right now I'm taking 1500mg keppra and 800mg Tegretol in the morning, and 100mg Keppra and 600mg Tegretol at night. After my blood test tomorrow I think tegretol is changing, because I'm at the max now and they're coming back.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
(male)

pro17 HB User

Hey Killer, Im on Keppra AND Lamictal.
The Lamictal is absolutely nessary in order for me to not have seizures. The Keppra, on the other hand, seems "to just be there". When Keppra was added to my Lamictal dosage, I didnt see any difference (maybe a small change in mood). If I leave Lamictal, though (under a controlled environment by my doctor of course), the seizures will reaapear. I had to get back on Lamictal when I was trying to get away from it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
(male)

killer5879 HB User

This discussion has been helpful. It seems everyone has different reactions to the various drugs that are prescribed for epilepsy. Lamictal wasn't totally effective for me. So far, keppra being added on has helped. The lamictal will be phased out over a 10 week period. Keppra seems to be working so far but I've already noticed some slight mood changes. I will stick with it as long as I don't get too squirrelly.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

B6 is supposed to help w/ the moodiness that goes w/ Keppra. It did help while I was on a low dose but when my neuro upped my dosage the B6 was no longer effective. So now I'm on Lamictal. The dosage will increase over the course of the next 4 weeks so I hope that things continue as they have (no problems yet).

Good luck. I know it's hard.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
(male)

shakin stevens HB User

hi, i had some mood issues when i first started on Keppra but none in particular over the last 12 months or so, at the moment taking Oxcarbazepine (trileptal) as-well, now that little fella can be nasty at times "scary thoughts!!!"

Closed Thread