It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
(female)

ellsa00 HB User
Seizures in sleep/auras??

I've been sick since around August with an unknown infection or virus. I bascially keep getting fevers every couple of weeks and in between that time I just feel wiped out, spacey, lightheaded, dizzy When I get the fevers I feel like I have the flu. Anyway im still waiting for various referrals and tests but I've noticed since all this started Ive been having some very strange experiences during the night. Its almost always as im drifting off to sleep,or sometimes during the night..and rarely during the day. As I said I feel spacey/dreamy and 'not right' im my head since it started..very confused. but during these experiences I all of a sudden get a horrible panick/confused feeling, feel very weak and 'heavy' and get a nostalgic, deja vu feeling but not actually about anything..just the feeling of deja vu. I also sometimes get the deju vu with a smell or taste in my mouth that I know isnt there. The intensity varies but sometimes its really bad and I feel like im hallucinating/going crazy..I'll sometimes shiver/shake very strongly after this or sometimes I just kind of drift off to sleep and dont really think anything of it until the morning or later the next day as I forget - sometimes its not even scary at the time..I dont think..'whats happening' ..it dosent seem abnormal..but then i remember it later & think what the hell was that..other times its terrifying during. Ive also, only once woken up (when I was very sick with fever) feeling as though I couldnt move, all my muscles tensed up & was being pushed into the bed..I actually at first thought I had dreamt it..I know theres some kind of sleeping disorder that does this, cant remember what its called so it may not be related.

Seizures had never even crossed my mind until a friend suggested it..as I always thought seizures were very dramatic & involved thrashing around on the floor...and something you would definately know if you had it. However from briefly reading this board some of it sounds very familiar.

Is this worth mentioning to a doc..or does it sound more like anxiety/something else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
(female)

PurpleRose HB User
Re: Seizures in sleep/auras??

Hi. Yes, you should definitely mention all of these things to your doctor. However, even if what you experienced were seizures, this does NOT necessarily mean that you have epilepsy. Seizures can be caused by other illnesses. And as you've described, you've had some type of illness for awhile now that the doctors apparently can't diagnose. If I were you, I would want to get to the bottom of exactly what's been causing all of your other symptoms. It could very well be that your seizures (if they are seizures) are only being brought about due to this mysterious underlying illness which is yet to be identified. Get second, third opinions. Don't give up. When people are sick for months and months and are told over and over by different doctors that they just "don't know" what's wrong with them, that is just not a good enough answer. I love watching shows like Mystery Diagnosis and Medical Incredibles on Discovery Health, which are those very scenarios, these poor people have these very unusual, very often even mis-diagnosed, medical problems, but thankfully, thanks to the persistence of every one of those patients, in not taking "I don't know" for an answer, they keep finding different doctors until FINALLY someone finds out what's wrong with them. It's sad that it has to be that way in the medical field, but sometimes that's the way it is. I wish you the best.

Last edited by PurpleRose; 02-07-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: sp.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Seizures in sleep/auras??

Seizures can be as "minor" as a twitchy little finger with the person fully aware; most seizures are not the generalized (used to be classified as 'grand mal' in the previous classification system) 'all limbs thrashing' type. Some involve smell, sight, feelings of things being familiar or unfamiliar, abdominal feelings, specific muscles moving, losing consciousness/awareness, losing bladder control, etc...... there are as many types of seizures as there are specific areas in the brain that are irritated in some way.

As above- definitely talk to your doc.

Closed Thread