It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
(male)

graham281 HB User
got diagnosed being epileptic when i was 18

8 years ago roughly, took a bad grand mal seizure, that continued, and when it stopped,another 1 happened if u understand. stopped breathing also my mate told me also,got rushed to hospital, and had test after test done to me, and they have found no abnormal brain activity, and they cant find whats causing the siezures. all the doctor said to me was here take this epilim chrono medication, but it aint calmed dwn the fits, still having them on a regular basis, and everytime i contact the doctor i get no help really from him. wish they would sort this out like.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: got diagnosed being epileptic when i was 18

Have they tried changing the medication to a different one?
Or has your doctor changed your dose (amount you take) after taking a blood sample to check the medication levels in your system to see if it is where it should be? DO NOT ADJUST IT ON YOUR OWN.

Blood levels and medication adjustments of current treatments are what our doctors will commonly do FIRST STEP if there are problems (seizures still exist). Next would be possible further testing and or the doctors decision. It's up to the doctor if they want to try other medications. THEY know best what may work for us.

I just saw my doctor the other day. Thankfully he revised his decision to modify my dose... I am relieved! I was fearing that a possible lowering of my dose could cause an increase of seizures if we were to make slight adjustments. I may be on 3 medications, but I am overall well controlled unless my sleep gets out of cycle or my dose gets late.

Having seizures since I was a kid I know my system pretty well.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
(male)

graham281 HB User

the doctor put me on a mad high dose of the tablets im on awhile bck, but then he gradually took it down to 700mg's twice a day. not been offered anything else, tablets etc for it. had a bad fit on saturday night, ended up being taking into hospital due to when i had the siezure, i was throwing up blood, and i was in a bad way. had a minor fit last night, and the doctor came and saw me, waste of time though (couldnt do anything 4 me) quickly checkd me over, and jus told me contact my own doctor and discuss the problem. contacted doctor today, explained everything, but still back to square 1, they dont know what causes them or anything. iv had that many tests in the past they all came back normal also. and the doctor thought the fits i had last few days were either brought on by recreational drugs or alchol, but im tea total, and dont do any recreational drugs at all.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Some tea's can cause problems to the medications. Try stopping the tea for a while and see if that helps for a first step.

Also avoid citric fruits (grapefruit is a major one). They are also known to cause problems with some anti-epileptic medications.

I'm trying to remember how strong of a dose they had me of Epilim. I think it was at least 2500mg/day along with my other medications. It has been a while!

--Travis

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
(male)

graham281 HB User

dont drink tea, only drink juice, fresh juice. bloody hell, 2500mg's epilim u were on, that was wat i was on wen i started them pills 8 yrs ago mate.

Closed Thread