It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
when does the tiredness go away on depakote xr 1000 mgs a day?

hi everyone its been a little while since i been to the boards but i just been so tired its either the depakote xr doing it or im just not getting enough sleep .see hubby is on 3rd and i dont get to bed till like 12:30 or 1am and get up at 6am but even on weekends i sometimes fall asleep but im on xanax 1 mg but i been taking a 1 mg in the am then cut one in half like say around 6 hrs later when i start feeling nervous and shaky and it seems to help and then at bedtime i take either a 1 mg or just a half im trying to cut the dose down to where i take just a half .cause something is sure making me tired and sleepy like i sleep in on weekends and i still fall asleep and through the week i do ok i stay up when i get up at 6am but like say around 4 or 5 i feel really sleepy .but the good news is i have not fell down once since i started the depakote im even driving and going out to eat and going to the store and anyplace i want ,im not ready to drive out of town yet though .but i walk into places so proud and happy its the greatest thing i have ever felt since i first started having seizures 2 yrs ago only i didnt know it was seizures because i was told it was extreme panic well turned out to be seizures and it must have been cause the depakote has saved my life .i just wish i wasnt so tired could it be my sleep pattern cause im cutting the xanax in half so im not taking as much now and the only other meds i take is darvacets for the headaches which im hoping to get off of soon and lisinopril 10mgs my b/p is good and the headaches i cant go without the painpills till they figure out whats causing the headaches ,if alls i took was 1 pill id be happy but wouldnt we all be ??? who here has ever took depakote xr 1000 mgs i take 500 in am and 500 in pm so is the xr better or would the plain depakote be better?? i know by me taking them its helped me get out and drive and go places and not have anymore seizures its not been a month yet but close to it how long does it take for the tiredness take or do you think my tiredness is from something else???
vickie
gods

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
Re: when does the tiredness go away on depakote xr 1000 mgs a day?

See if you can take it all at night. The depakote xr is made to be given once daily. That should help.
Tripp is on delayed release and he takes 750 mg am 500 about 6 hours after the am and then 750 mg before bedtime. He is tired all the time....will fall asleep when he gets still.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
(female)

lamac HB User

I have been on four different seizure meds and I think Depakote hit me the hardest when I started it. I was also on 500am and 500pm. For the first 3 weeks I was staggering when I walked. I even drooled!! At work there was a little cot in the woman's restroom and I would go rest and fall asleep in a few minutes!!! People would have to wake me! BUT!!!!!....When I did adjust to the medication (about a month) it was great for me. I had no headaches, no seizures and was not dizzy at all. Unfortunately, it bothered my liver and I had to change to a different medication after 9 months.

good luck,
Lamac

Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamac View Post
I have been on four different seizure meds and I think Depakote hit me the hardest when I started it. I was also on 500am and 500pm. For the first 3 weeks I was staggering when I walked. I even drooled!! At work there was a little cot in the woman's restroom and I would go rest and fall asleep in a few minutes!!! People would have to wake me! BUT!!!!!....When I did adjust to the medication (about a month) it was great for me. I had no headaches, no seizures and was not dizzy at all. Unfortunately, it bothered my liver and I had to change to a different medication after 9 months.

good luck,
Lamac
Lamac it is good so far no seizures at all for 1 month so far but now i do still have the horrible headaches and i have to take darvacets for them nothing else works if i dont take the darvacets my head kills me where i cry and wake up in pain with my head im suppose to get a mri but im waiting on the insurance i get scared because a friend of mine was 44 and had horrible headaches like me and she died hers was a anurizum. so im getting more scared by the day because i want them to please figure out why my head hurts so bad and even with the darvacets they ware off after 2-4 hrs .and i still get tired but could it be the meds or maybe because i stay up till 1am and get up at 6am hubby is on 3rd .
vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 02-27-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Closed Thread