It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Angry i dont like depakote xr 1000 mgs its making me sleep too much .have to vent ...

hi i been on depakote xr 500 mgs in am and 500 mgs in pm it has stopped my seizures but im getting symtons that i cant handle like i sleep ALOT even after sleeping 8-9 hrs at night im also starting to become moody ,i told my dr about the tiredness and he said try taking 2-500mgs at the pm i didnt i was too afraid so i see him on march 12 th and i also have the headaches and nothing seems to work i take darvacets not sure if that caues tiredness or not i dont like the seizures but i dont like sleeping all the time either im not the person i use to be i use to get up everyday at 6am and clean my house and take a bath put on makeup go to tanning bed and go to work now alls i do is sleep i have no energy i dont like the depakote , my friend is on keppra 1000 mgs one in am and one in pm and he said it dont make him tired at all .i know its the depakote because i never done this till i started depakote .i mean i would be up at 6am clean house take shower do stuff but i was having seizures too but i dont know what to do i dont like living with this tiredness and the headaches ,i been on the depakoye 2 mos now and the tiredness should have went away shouldnt it have ? yes im also on xanax but i only been taking 1/2 a mg id rather stop them cold turkey but everyone says NO well i dont like all the meds im on now anyway .im not on that much really i take lisinopril 10mgs -xanax 1mg but im taking 1/2 trying to get off i just hope i dont have any panic attacks cause i have had panic for a long time .and i take the darvacets but if the dr would give me another MRI like hes suppose to maybe they'd find out whats causing my headaches i took meds that the neuro dr gave me for migranes and they dont work or any otc ones either my head didnt start hurting this bad till june 07 when i blackedout on the street and i was taken by abulance to hospital and they didnt check me for any seizures or nothing and thought i overdosed on some type of meds i told them nope i only took 1 xanax and 1 blood pressure pill and i told them check my blood if you dont believe me and they were going to send me to a mental ward so i checked myself out and went home im sorry im venting im just so darn frustrated yes the meds took away the seizures and im driving but im just so tired and fall asleep all the time not sure if this could happen or not but i want off all meds except for the seizure meds only i want one that dont make me tired at first i thought it was because i was getting 3-4 hrs of sleep but its not cause on weekends when i sleep 8-9 hrs i still fall asleep .im telling the dr either help me or im finding a new dr and hes suppose to be getting me set up for the MRI and so far hasnt done it and im getting scared about the headaches because number one they hurt horrible if i dont have anything to take and number 2 my friend was having headaches and she died aug 15th 07 in her sleep from a anuruzim .im sorry i dont mean to be upset but iam the depakote is making me very moody and crabby and i sleep alot and have no energy this is not the life i use to have and im even cutting the xanax in half and im not taking anymore darvacets i guess i will live with the headaches i dont know whats causing all the symtoms but they are driving me nuts and im very very frustrated at first i thought 1000 mgs was too high but its not ,i think its i cant take the depakote .
sorry i just had to vent .
vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: i dont like depakote xr 1000 mgs its making me sleep too much .have to vent ...

Please give your dr. the deep six and find someone else. It sounds to me as if he has you drugged to the hills. Do you know what the levels of your medication should be and do you know what the level reading was the last time it was taken. If not, demand the report.

I have had seizures for years and a number of years ago, a dr. was out to control me. She drugged me to the hills and I spent three years of my life on the sofa. There are some good neuros out there, but there are some who are just out to control the patient. Good luck and please keep me posted.

One more thing; keep a record of all the drugs you have been on and the levels that have been taken. This is VERY important.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: i dont like depakote xr 1000 mgs its making me sleep too much .have to vent ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
Please give your dr. the deep six and find someone else. It sounds to me as if he has you drugged to the hills. Do you know what the levels of your medication should be and do you know what the level reading was the last time it was taken. If not, demand the report.

I have had seizures for years and a number of years ago, a dr. was out to control me. She drugged me to the hills and I spent three years of my life on the sofa. There are some good neuros out there, but there are some who are just out to control the patient. Good luck and please keep me posted.

One more thing; keep a record of all the drugs you have been on and the levels that have been taken. This is VERY important.
danabarb
what do you mean by my levels? i dont know what my levels are no one ever took any test on any levels,and im thinking of just trying the 500 mgs at night .see i went to this neuro because my sisters went to him but they didnt go for seizures either .and as for all the medications im on i have not been tested on them in over a yr i thought we were suppose to be tested once a yr on the meds we take .and what do you mean by give my dr the deep six?and no he never told me what levels i should be on he just started me on depakote xr 1000 mgs because i was having passingout spells all the time i had MRI done back in mar 07 the neuro dr then said he thought it was seizures but he moved so i found another neuro he kept telling me it was panic which its not i have that too but when i started the depakote the passingout stopped so if it was panic it wouldnt have stopped .so then i found this new neuro and he had me set up for MRI but so far hasnt done it yet and yes if i go without darvacets my head hurts badddd and i wake up in the night with a bad headache and im allways so tired and fall asleep all the time i called his office and the staff told me she'd tell him i see him mar 12th and its not migrane headaches either whatever it is nothing helps even the darvacets wears off after so long a time they dont help 100% but they ease it some .and back in june when i blacked out my head hurt so bad it was the worst pain i ever felt and the hospital didnt even run any type of test they just thought i overdosed ya right on just 1 xanax and 1 blood pressure pill my b/p is normal now,i have had veeg ,eeg and mri done ,and im suppose to have another one but thi dr is slow and im beginning to think hes not very good about seizures .i dont know who else to look for as in a neuro dr i have saw 3 so far .my energy isnt good i never feel like doing much of anything and with the headaches its scarry me because of my friend she was seeing a dr and just died because he must not have thought it to be seirous well it was cause now shes gone .and that scares me all the time .
thanks
vickie

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Vickie,

By the deep six, I meant fire that dr. He sounds like a joker to me. About levels: Every drug in the line of anitconvulsant has a level. I am just going to give out numbers and they may not apply to the drugs you are on. Say Depakote level should read 10 to 20 after having blood drawn. If the level is under 10, you are not on enough of the medication and if it is over, you are on too much. Demand that you get a blood test and keep a record of all levels taken from now on. I have mine from years ago. My levels are drawn twice a year and I have been on the same medication for AGES.

Also, DEMAND a written report about your MRI, EEG and any other tests that have been taken. If you have them, you can always take them in hand to another dr. to get another opinion and if this dr. does not want to give them to you, tell him or his secretary that you will report him to the AMA if they are not in your hands within a certain time and stick to your guns.

I wish I had your phone number, so I could help you more.

Let me go back and reread your message to see that I didn't miss anything,

Hang in there, you will get well.

If you want my e-mail address, please feel free to ask and I can communicate with you that way.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vickie,

I just reread your message and am SHOCKED that the dr. would put you on medication and NEVER draw your levels.

I am no dr., but wonder if you need to be on the other medication as well. Before you go on any medication, if you are taking seizure medication, you should check with the neurologist to see if you can take the second medication. It sounds to me as if he has you drugged to the hills and it isn't any wonder you have panic attacks just out of pure frustration.

Is there a good hospital near you? If so, call for the name of a GOOD neuro and say goodbye to this joker, but don't leave him without all your medical history.

My former nuero was upset with me about something and it was VERY petty, so when I moved away, I wanted my records. He would not send them. So, I got on the phone and told him to have those records in my hands within 24 hours or I would have him before the AMA. The records came!!

Please feel free to ask any questions and if I can help, I gladly will.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vickie,

I forgot to mention this: After being drugged for three years, when I found the new neuro, I walked into his office with a spiral notebook in my hand and kept track of all the medications. Did this for three years and when I didn't walk in with the book, he said to me, "Oh, no notebook?" I said, "I think we have covered everything." I still have those notebooks!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
(female)

Denisejones007 HB User

I am on 1500 mg a day, plus 800 mg of tegretol and 300 mg of dilantin. I sleep more than my cats do...and my friends and relatives don't even bother to stop my anymore. It's a lonely feeling.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

well all came back to post and say im feeling alot better on depakote now its going on 4 mos now and i have my energy back and everything but im starting to become crabby though and a litte dizzy so i have to call my dr and tell him i mean im down right a total crab apple i get mad about everything i yell nothing pleases me but i have good days too though and tody sunday mar 16th i started feeling a little dizziness and its scarry me cause i sure hope i dont end up with another seizure i been seizure free ow allmost 4 mos after suffering 2 long yrs with them because the drs kept telling me it was panic and im even driving again and everythin i dont want NO MORE SEIZURES i have been so happy since starting the sepakote except for the sleep patternbut i think thats due to no enough sleep at night i get to bed about 1am and get up at 6am ,
vickie

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

well danabarb and everyone else ,i finally switched neuro drs and im so glad this dr is very good cant spell the word i want to use but its like he knows what hes doing and great at his job hes been a neuro dr for over 30 yrs hes there 5 days a week plus 8-5pm which helps me alot when i saw the swack as i call him the old dr i ask him to switch me from depakote he refused plus i had this really bad seizure and when i called him he got mad and said if i call again if its not serious he would dismiss me and hung up on me that was it for me i founf the new dr i told him what the depakote was doing so he switched me to tergetol 600mgs 200 mgs 3 times a day not the xr .and he also called me in some pain pills for my head called ultrum 50 mgs i dont know much about medications but im sure hoping they work ,i been on darvacets 650 but they cause bad constipation they do take the pain away but i cant handle the constipation ,so can you or anyone else tell me anything about the tegretol ?? according to the drug store they said the tiredness should only last 2 weeks on and im getting my levels done tomorrow and will let you know when i get them the old dr finally tested them it said 50.9 ranges are 50-100 mine is suppose to be like 175 so i was on the low side for seizures ,i never went back to the old dr and he didnt even call either when i missed the appt i didnt care i found a better one and hes good from what i been told plus hes right beside the hospital and hes there 5 days a week and open from 8-5 plus not only that i was running late once and stayed after 5pm to wait for me to get there i called ahead and told him i would be late and he said he's wair and he did the old dr made me make a new appt when i was just 5 mins late plus this dr wants me to do a sleep test and how im going to do this i dont know cause i have to have only 4 hrs of sleep but i guess i willfigure that out .
so can you fill me in on the tegretol???i know nothing about these medications and have you heard of a pain med called ultrum ? its suppose to be for pain but not addicting (thank goodness) i do take my xanax but i have too other wise id be at ER the xanax is the only thing that calms me down i tried activan and klonipins both and they didnt help i have really bad panic but it runs in my family too i have had it for yrs but never even knew what it was till i was put on xanax after i called 911.and i use to donate plazma and had a panic attack while donating and they ask me if i had anxiety i said whats that?? i had never heard of it .....
thanks will keep you posted
vickie

Closed Thread