It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

Aurorasmommy HB User
Throwing up with a seizure?

I was just going back through old threads, and it sparked a question.

Do you always throw up with your seizure? The last 2 seizures my daughter had she threw up... and it scared me because she swallows at the same time... Her seizures start off with her swallowing. She had a status seizure that lasted 30 minutes, and she swallowed about 20 minutes of it!

Anyways, my question is... do you find that alot of people throw up with a seizure? Or is that only with specific kinds?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Throwing up with a seizure?

hi sorry to hear about your daughter but every person doesnt have the same effect during an episode as the other person even if they suffer from the same type of epilepsy. The swallowing motions many people do experience, its reflexes from the seizure itself, throwing up is just another effect your daughter is experiencing, but not many do. Question; she throws up every time she has a spell? Does she have auras (warning feeling) that lets her know shes going to seiz? The lost of so much fluids from her attacks is serious and you should speak to her neuro about the situation. I have had the dizziness feeling after a seizure and this is very normal after such a spel, but never throw up during an attack, so sorry I cant help you much.. I hope your neuro can help your daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

Aurorasmommy HB User

She has thrown up the last 2 seizures, but none before... She is only 2 so I dont know what she experiences, but I do know after she must be dizzy because if she tries to walk she will walk into walls...so she cannot move around after one. When she had a seizure, I asked her after to grab my finger and she reached in the opposite direction... so I know it messes with her vision.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

vomiting represents a rare manifestation during seizures that originates from the temporal lobes of the nondominant hemisphere andyou daugther is showing symptoms of her grand mal attacks, but due to the fact that she's too small in age her seizures over take her, upsetting her stomach, making her dizzy from the shaking and tired from draining her energy, which is normal (in the case of an epileptic attack) but still if she continues to vomit every time she's over taken by a seizure call the neuro an explain, at her age a supplement to replanish her lose of fluids will be needed depending on the amount of seizures she's experiencing and how much fluids she's loosing. Keep a close eye and watch her closely when she's seizzing, watch her head and make sure she rest well after every attack, dizziness is very common.
Laura

Old 03-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User

ive woken up from szs laying in my own vomit before. and if i dont throw up i always feel nauseous and like im about to throw up, along with a pounding headache. and the walking into walls sounds so familiar, ill always try to get up and walk and almost fall over. i think the throwing up is a common thing with the grand mal szs.

Closed Thread