It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

Aurorasmommy HB User
Chances of outgrowing Epilepsy?

What are the chances of outgrowing Epilepsy? How would you know if you could outgrow it? If you have had a brain injury or scarring does this not give you a good chance? Or do people outgrow Epilepsy whether its a brain injury or not?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
(female)

soccerschmee14 HB User
Re: Chances of outgrowing Epilepsy?

ok im going to go on experience here and what everyone has always told me. i have had generalized szs since i was five, i am twenty now. i thought i was only having tcs but later learned that i was having absence szs as well. the drs always told me that there was a very good chance that i could outgrow the szs. i was pretty well controlled though, so that may have something to do with it and i had nothing show on the mri. i dont think you can outgrow if there is a lesion on the brain, but im not sure on that. the chances of outgrowing also depend on the type of szs. i was always told that it was easier to outgrow if they were generalized szs. i still havent outgrown mine but i still believe i can, my mom outgrew hers when she was about 22 or so. anything is possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I started having seizures when I was 11 or 12, and I was told that it was possible that I may grow out of them because many children who have epilepsy grow out of it after puberty because of all of the changes the body goes through. I was kind of on the cusp, though, because of my age, so my doctors thought it was possible, but not likely.
Well, I didn't figure it out until a few years later, that my seizures are catamenial, which means that they are related to my hormones and monthly cycle. So I developed them when I started going through puberty. So I'll probably have them all my life, or at least until I go through menopause.
So it depends on the type of epilepsy. A lot of children grow out of their epilepsy, most adult-onset epilepsy sticks around, and I think if there's an injury that causes it, the seizure will probably always stick around unless surgery is done to remove the damaged portion of the brain that causes them.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

remtana HB User

I've only known one person with epliepsy that has grown out of it, but she was a small child when diagnosed.

My uncle also had them when he was a child, stopped for a while, then came back in his late 20's again.

Mine, I will never grow out it. I was 17 when diagnosed, too close to adulthood.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

I don't know if 'out-grown' is the right term. There are alot of people that have had epilepsy and then their seizures will just stop.

Dr's usually like to keep in touch with you-checking on you-and would probably like you to stay on your meds-and probably start to cut back on the meds you take after being seisure free for at least 1 year.

The are several people that their seizures could start again.

Closed Thread