It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Neuropsych Test Results- cognitive disorder

I just got the results of my neuropsych tests in the mail yesterday. It reported that I have superior verbal intelligence, but borderline Cognitive NOS Disorder, where I seem to have trouble with Visual Recall.
I was reading about this on the internet, and it says the "NOS" stands for "Not Otherwise Specified", and kind of just embodies generic cognitive disorders that don't fall into the more specific categories, and that usually it's a problem caused my a medical condition or a medication. So basically, it sounds like either my Epilepsy and/or meds have caused a memory problem... It's only borderline, so they just suggest continued treatment of my seizures, but how do I know I didn't have these problems my whole life (I don't feel any different, as far as my short-term memory goes, than I did 10 years ago)? Will it get worse?
Anyone else have this?
My doctor is supposed to call me and explain some of this stuff, but I haven't heard from him yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 05-15-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User
Re: Neuropsych Test Results- cognitive disorder

hi

I did my pre-surgical neuor-spych 2005 and my results were like your or worst, my vision memory was bad and especially recgonizing the pictures. I didnt feel any different as you said from years earluier and I felt stupid after taking that test. Last week I did my post-surgical neuro-spych and the results were so much better, instead of passing only one section, I inproved in 5 parts including the visual. The lady explained that my sclerosis (the portion taken off during surgery) was supressing my left side making my memory worst with time. If i didnt undergo the surgery my memory with time as for everyone with seizures get worst due to the lost of memory cells. Im also waiting for her to one again call me this week to go over in details of my inprovements, but I just want you to know that memory problems are always present with epileptic people, many cells are lost with every spell one have. Im not sure if you had or will have surgery, but if you do Im telling you ur memory will improve. Dont feel bad with the results because thats normal with us, but trust me it will improve. So are you undergoing surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks, 030free.
No, Right now, I'm not planning on ever having surgery. My neurologist at Yale is kind of wanting me to have all the pre-surgery tests in case I want to have surgery, but I don't think it's necessary yet until I try more meds. I've only tried Dilantin, Tegretol, and Keppra so far in the past 7 years.
Luckily, I only get simple-partials, so it could be a lot worse, and I don't think I'm at the point of needing brain surgery yet.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I had partial complex too for 20 yrs, up to 15 attacks a month when I was sleeping, and tried most meds (like 12 types) in ten years but nothing worked due to my sclerosis. But I felt the same way you do, waiting and hoping meds would work. Well whatever desicions you make I hope are for the best and we are here to help you
laura

Old 05-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
(male)

killer5879 HB User

SentenceDoing - I have a favor to ask of you. On 7/1 I'm moving to the greater New Haven area and I'll be looking for a epileptologist there. Are you satisfied with your neuro at Yale? If so, would you be able to identify him or her so I can make further inquiries. Like you I have partial simple seizures that remain uncontrolled after trying 3 AED's (lamictal, mirapax and keppra).

Thank you.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Hello, killer5879.
I've only seen my Neurologist at Yale a couple of times because my regular neuro who I've been seeing for a few years has kind of run out of ideas as for what to do next about my treatment, so he sent me to Yale for a second opinion. I'm seeing Dr. Fertig at Yale, and I am happy with him so far. I've only seen him twice so far, but he definitely has a lot more ideas for testing and for trying to find out exactly what's going on so he can possibly find better treatments for my seizures. So I think I would recommend him.
Good luck to you!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
(male)

killer5879 HB User

SentenceDoing - Thank you very much for the info. It sounds like our situations are similar. Best of luck to you as well

Closed Thread