It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

vanessajennylee HB User
food allergies causing absence seizures?and other question.

Last week i went to a new doctor and he told me that i ahve juvenile absemce seizures but after asking some more questions he wasnt so sure if that was really what i have or if i just have absense seizures..does anyone have juvenile absence seizures and know anything about them?

One of my moms friend told her that she knows someone who had seizures and was able to control them by eating differently..this made us wonder if it could be possible that i have a food allergy that is causing my seizures.does anyone know anything about this?

thanks,
vanessa

Old 05-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Re: food allergies causing absence seizures?and other question.

The friend could be hypo{or is it hyper} glycemic and if your blood sugar falls it can make you have a seizure. Or at least it does me as I fall into that catergory and have all my life , I just didn't know it until I was about 39. PLus the right 1 or in my case 2 anti-seizure medications to control your seizures and you are on the right track.

Bonnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

niknak77 HB User

I had a friend in high school who had seizures and was given a choice by her doctor to try changing her diet first to see if it helped or just go on meds. She changed her diet; became a vegan of some sorts-limited meat and no dairy. She said it worked and never took meds.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessajennylee View Post
One of my moms friend told her that she knows someone who had seizures and was able to control them by eating differently..this made us wonder if it could be possible that i have a food allergy that is causing my seizures.does anyone know anything about this?

thanks,
vanessa
You can be tested for food allergies to see if you have any of those problems. If that were the case SPECIFIC foods or types of food MAY lower your threshold or cause seizures depending on the situation and or results of the tests.

Common examples of allergies we hear in the media are nuts, some can't have any seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp). These are types of food allergies where people cannot have physical contact or consume ANY of the product or they will (may) show reactions. It does not have to be related to seizures/epileptic patients.

As for the seizures I would try to follow the Doctor's lead and see what is said for your case. More testing may be conducted. In MOST cases they TEND to put us (the patient) on medications to control seizures. Much better than no control and risking an accident or onset of seizures and needing to visit the emergency room.

--Travis

Closed Thread