It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
(male)

hawks066 HB User
Wife Seizure after 10 Years

I've come to vent to this wonderful place. I hung out at these boards for quite a few months back in 2003 for some herniated disc problems with myself and everyone was really nice and informative.

I am now visiting because my wife awakened me at 3:30 this morning with a major grand maul? seizure. She had seizures about 10 years ago and she was off seizure medication carbatrol back in 2000. She hasn't had an episode since i've known her which was right around 1998. Now it's back and I was scared beyond words. One thing I always heard about seizures is the possibilty of swallowing your tongue. Not knowing any better this morning, and being awakened in panic, I almost lost my finger in her mouth which I now realize is a big NO NO.

I am so nervous to leave her alone and the seizures are probably the most disturbing thing I have seen. It's amazing what the brain does sometimes and I truly understand how powerful the brain can be.

Yesterday we were outside doing yard work and all of the sudden she grabbed her head and started walking away. I was on the ground and all of the sudden my daughter yelled and she was picking herself off the ground. She immediately pointed to this as almost being seizure related and was afraid of losing her license again. I have never dealth with nor do I know anything about these seizures so I didn't really think much of it. I didn't know what to say and kind of shrugged it off as did she. She lied down and was fine after that.

After getting to the ER at 4 am the doctors were monitoring her and didn't give her any medication. About 3.5 hours later she woke up and told me that something is happening and to get a nurse. I guess this is what they called the AURA and she says she gets this dazed feeling like she isn't all there. 15 seconds later she was back at another seizure. She went limp quickly and then begin a very angry clinching and then came her mouth and eyes opening sporadicatly with foaming at the mouth. The nurse injected adavan? into her IV and it stopped very quickly. She then fell asleep and woke up 45 minutes later or so. Thank God that atleast she gets a sign that this seizure is coming.

What a day. Just the images of the seizure are very disturbing to me and bring tears to my eyes. It's so difficult seeing someone like this when they aren't there mentally. Thank God her parents are local and know about these from when she was in junior and high school.

I just wanted to come in and vent. If anyone has questions about the make up of these events or has information for me, please post them. Thanks

Jesse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
Re: Wife Seizure after 10 Years

Jesse...so sorry for what you and your family are experiencing. I'm especially sorry that your wives' seizures have returned. A few things;

Never, ever put anything in a seizing person's mouth! We cannot swallow our tongues! (but you said you've learned that...)

An "aura" is actually a simple partial seizure. It can be very innocuous or it could lead to a complex partial seizure then a "grand mal," or what is now called Tonic-Clonic seizure.
I can be walking my dog, have a simple partial seizure and I'll barely miss a beat. For the person having the seizure, it may start off with a "funny" feeling in the stomache that rises up to the throat and turn to nausea. Then the person may taste or smell something foul. Then it passes (if you're on good medication!)

I hope your wife is seeing a neurologist now and is on meds.

And I totally understand your need to vent. My poor husband witnessed my first tonic-clonic (as an adult...I had them as an infant) 2 1/2 yrs. ago. I asked him how he felt when he saw me convulsing and he just said, "Oh, I was concerned...." but I know it goes deeper than that when someone you love is just "not there." So it's good you came here to talk.

Now my husband is a pro. He knows exactly when I'm having a complex partial seizure, when awareness is lost, and he guides me to the sofa or our bed until it passes. I've had six or seven of those in May alone, according to him, but none of them have led to a tonic-clonic seizure because of the medication (which I HATE) take every day.

I take Keppra, Lyrica and Ativan. I only use the Ativan when my seizures are clustering, though...not three times a day as instructed! (bad girl!)

Hang in there, and stop by if you have any questions!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
(male)

hawks066 HB User

Thank You for the response. It's nice to know that the internet is around for people to meet and talk about life experiences.

The hospital stay was something we really didn't care for. We felt she should have been admitted for the night but they said it was not needed. We usually never step foot in that one because of a major issue when my daughter was a newborn and she got the wrong medication for conjestion in her lungs. We won't be going back there again. We should have known to go to the 15 min away hosptial as everyone in my family has been there and they are smaller but so nice and professional.

We've been trying to figure out why these seizures came back. My wife has been under general anesthesia twice in about 5 months or so. She had he knee worked on and just last week had a D & C procedure with hysteroscopy (sp?). She had a cyst removed. I am now wondering if the D & C messed with her homones being that they scraped out her uterus. Maybe this caused it? Or maybe being under general twice in a short period had something to do with it..

She has her neurology appt on Thursday. We originally scheduled it today with a different group but then we found out her Neurologist from before, who is a pediatric neurologist, lets her previous child patients back as adults.

She is back on her carbatrol that she previously was on back 10 years ago. She never had a seizure after she started taking it before, so we're hoping it still will do the trick. Unfortunately she's probably going to be on it for a few years, but i'll take that in a heartbeat instead of another grand mal.

Does anyone know if the consumption of alcholic beverages are permitted while on this medication? The prescription bottle says consumption of alcholic beverages may intensive the side effect of dizziness but doesn't say don't drink. She's not a big drinker and just drinks socially if we go out. She never drinks during the week, I'm another story though, lol.

She's back at work today, so hopefully everything goes well.

Thanks again,

Jesse

Last edited by hawks066; 06-03-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks066 View Post
Does anyone know if the consumption of alcholic beverages are permitted while on this medication? The prescription bottle says consumption of alcholic beverages may intensive the side effect of dizziness but doesn't say don't drink. She's not a big drinker and just drinks socially if we go out. She never drinks during the week, I'm another story though, lol.
For some people with epilepsy, alcohol is a trigger for seizures. First of all, I would watch out drinking alcohol combined with the med she is on, since it's labelled with a warning on the bottle. But also, alcohol is a trigger for seizures in many people with a seizure disorder or epilepsy. So she should be cautious about drinking alcohol, especially since the return of the seizures is so recent she may not know her triggers.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
(female)

valeriedl HB User

I know that my neuro said no alchol, and I don't drink it.

I'm 30 years old and the sez started about five years ago. The family was scared to death to leave me alone. When I moved out with my boyfriend they were worried about that. The family lives next door, but there wasn't someone always there with me.

They wouldn't let me cook, take a shower or go outside by my self! If I go shopping I have to stay right with someone.

They have gotten alot more leaneant about things. I think my dad understands that I am a big girl and can do things myself and he will let me go into a store all alone. I can't drive and have just learned to deal with that cause theres usually someone around to take me where I need to go.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

myworldroya HB User

I know exactly what you mean about the helpless feeling you feel when you are witnessing someone having a seizure. My ex-husband started having his after 3 years of our marriage. I started screaming and calling 911... I had no idea what was going on.. all I saw was my ex laying in the kitchen and out of it... Every time I remember that episode, it brings tears to my eyes. He first did not take it seriously and didn't take his medicine but when the second episode happened, he took it seriously and started taking his medicine. When he realized that this was a life-time thing, he went into a deep depression... stayed home for months, unable to go to work... he started developing panic attacks, telling me at nights "could you sleep in the next room, I can't sleep when you move in bed". He started being scared of using elevators... it was awful...

I really feel for you... I will keep you in my prayers.....

Old 07-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

If you don't know about drinking and meds, best advice is avoid it.

I was advised to think of one drink as two originally (in otherwords, don't over indulge). I have come to find out IN MY CASE (I stress that) I can drink as long as I can space the time of my last serving and the time I take my medication. However, each case is different.

So don't ignore the warnings. Some can't drink at all. It is not wise in general to drink when on medications. The dangers are high. If all you are talking about is a glass of wine at dinner ASK the Doctor. However that is much safer then drinking multiple servings or going to a bar with friends.

Sometimes we need to find out our limits on our own.

--Travis

Closed Thread