It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
(female)

janie1066 HB User
Another newbie trying to diagnose what the doc can't

Greetings,

I've been shelved by my doctor, and yet, I worry that I will have another experience like he one I had just a month ago. I'll make this brief, but would welcome any and all suggestions.

-I was engaged in ordinary activity. I remember thinking that I was really hungry, and approx. 2 min. later, my eyes rolled up in my head, and I lost all my orientation. I sank to the floor. (I was babysitting at the time, but the children were watching a movie downstairs).
-I never lost consciousness, and remained aware of my condition.
-The episode lasted approx. 20 seconds.
-I had tremors immediately after the episode.
-I went home an hour later, and was besieged with extreme nausea, and lower digestive issues.
-These GI symptoms lasted for 24 hours.

I went to the doctor, and she ran a CT and an MRI. All was normal.
She sent me a letter telling me that everything was okay, and I could call if I wanted, but really there wasn't much that could be done.

And, so, I wait for another episode that may occur when I'm driving (which I'm now loathe to do, since I'm afraid I'll kill someone else, or myself, or both).

Has anyone every experienced anything like this??? What tests should I request from my doctor, since she doesn't seem willing to pursue this.

Thanks, so much
Janie

Last edited by janie1066; 06-08-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
(male)

dansierella HB User
Re: Another newbie trying to diagnose what the doc can't

Do you have or have you ever been diagnosed with Epilepsy? How do you know your eyes rolled up into the back of their sockets? Has this ever occurred before?

Do you have diabetes or are you taking any meds that might cause you to be hypoglycemic?

This actually doesn't sound like a seizure of the epileptic sort. It sounds very much like a pass out or near pass out due to glucose shortage or blood pressure. Any history of heart trouble in your family? Sometimes certain heart conditions can do this to a person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

janie1066 HB User

Your response helps quite a bit.

No, I'm not diabetic.

I knew my eyes were rolling back in my head, because I remember struggling to bring them forward.

There is some history of heart disease in my family.

Is that the route I should go? (Since my doctor doesn't seem to have any more ideas).

Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

hi Janie these symptoms are very similar to an episode, now did you feel a warning feeling prior to the attack? if you went unconsious for a few sec or a min its normal with epilepsy. There are so many types of seizures and most like the ones I had were petite (complex partial) so they didn't last long either but made me sick afterwards. This is what you need to do; Make an appoinment with a neurologist and ask for an EEG to be conducted, this will show any signs of abnormal electrical brain activity (if seizures are present) and where in the brain. This is normally the first step and then the neuro will diagnose and prescribe meds if its seizure disorder. My suggestions now is dont drive if you dont have to, and if you do but feel sick pull over immidiately!! Write down every time you have an epissode and if your with someone, what they saw as well (this is more helpful info for the neuro). For now this is what I can tell you, do the appoin ASAP and dont drive, I hope you feel better and keep us posted...
Laura

Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
(male)

dansierella HB User

Considering most seizure disorders leave the sufferer without a memory of the incident whatsoever, I'd disagree. But it could really be anything at this point-Epilepsy, heart condition, blood pressure, Vagus nerve weirdness, Etc.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansierella View Post
Considering most seizure disorders leave the sufferer without a memory of the incident whatsoever, I'd disagree. .
This is not true. If you have simple partial seizures, you are conscious of the whole episode, and remember the whole thing. You could even remember some of a complex partial episode.
I actually had a secondarily generalizing sezure that turned into a gran mal, which I remember much of.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
(male)

dansierella HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentenceDoing View Post
This is not true. If you have simple partial seizures, you are conscious of the whole episode, and remember the whole thing. You could even remember some of a complex partial episode.
I actually had a secondarily generalizing sezure that turned into a gran mal, which I remember much of.
It's not untrue. Most/many seizure disorders have postictal refractory periods that include retrograde amnesias. I shouldn't have generalized my statement so much, because you are correct.

My apologies.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansierella View Post
It's not untrue. Most/many seizure disorders have postictal refractory periods that include retrograde amnesias. I shouldn't have generalized my statement so much, because you are correct.

My apologies.
That's ok. I hope I didn't come off snobby or anything. I just wanted to clarify for those who don't know that it's possible to remember a seizure, especially depending on what type it is.

Closed Thread