It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

lmwilson72 HB User
New Pregnant Wife of Epileptic Fearing Surgery

Hi all - thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

I am in a new relationship with a man I adore - he is epileptic and facing another brain surgery in the next three months. I come into this relationship after he has spent 10 years battling brain cancer and seizures. We spent a few days in April 2008 having his WADA test done at our local hospital. They say next is additional brain mapping and then a hemispherectomy (sp?) within the next three months. I am 12 weeks pregnant - very unexpected for both of us.

I have scoured websites - we have talked to his surgeons - who are very optimistic. But what do I expect after surgery? Anyone here a survivor of this procedure? I have alot of worry with a new baby coming and a new husband undergoing, to me, an intensive, horrifying surgery.

He has had two previous surgeries to remove the tumor and a partial lobectomy. He has two-three petite mal seizures that I witness per week - probably more I dont see. He has grand mal serizures once a month lasting on average 10-15minutes. His longest seizure on video is 45minutes on a previous hospital stay. From my understanding these are epic long times to be seizing.

I know there are no answers til we are thru the surgery and on the other side but I need a positive word. I want him to be able to function on less medication and be seizure free and thats what the surgeons hope for. Someone out there have any hope for us?

Lisa in Dallas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: New Pregnant Wife of Epileptic Fearing Surgery

I stumbled across a Neurologist in the southwest corner of the inner loop of Houston when I was searching for information of a medication I was about to be placed on.

Not having any interactions with the doctor myself as a patient, I can't say much but a thanks for enlightening me when I read the article that helped warn me on the medication (Felbatol) I then thankfully avoided by contacting my previous doctor for additional help on my behalf in keeping me from getting on it.

--Travis

Last edited by moderator2; 06-11-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
(female)

Gina04 HB User

Does he still have cancer or is it just the seizures he's dealing with now? Also, do they know exactly where the seizures are starting? I had a couple febrile convulsions when I was teething (about 10 months and 18 months old). After that, I was fine until I was 10 years old and hit puberty. From age 10 to age 30 I had seizures. I tried several different anticonvulsants over the years but they made things worse, not better. I finally came across some info on surgery to correct seizure problems and talked to a doctor about it. They were able to determine that my seizures were starting from an area of scar tissue that they assume was a result of the convulsions years earlier. I can't say much about a hemispherectomy but about four years ago I underwent a right temporal lobectomy to remove the area of scar tissue. This was definitely the right choice! I still have auras if I let my blood sugar get too low, don't get enough sleep, etc. but haven't had a full-blown seizure since right before they did the surgery. I was in the hospital for about five days after surgery. The people at church were surprised to see me there a week or two after surgery. It took a few months to heal but I got back to normal (actually better than normal for me) very quickly. In fact, my life has been crazy in a good way since the surgery. Nine months after surgery, I got married. And two months after that, I got pregnant. I am now happily married with two kids and haven't had a full-blown seizure in over four years. I know the idea of brain surgery is scary and when your pregnant even small things can seem overwhelming, let alone big things. Hopefully my situation brings you at least a little encouragement.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Lisa congrats on your pregnancy, and sorry to hear about your husband, but your a great wife.. In reagrds to the surgery, Im pretty sure he should be ok in regards to the seizures. I had my surgery last year in April, and untill today I been free but still on the meds, but now the real concern is his cancer. What the neuro says are the connection between the two, did one cause the other to start? If he undergoes the seizure free procedure, how will it affect the cancerous cells? Will he be doing chemo after? I suggest you along with your husband get all info possible from your neuro and his oncologist about the procedure and how it will affect him in regard to the cancer. I know from the seizure perspective, it will be a great benefit because these are very sucessful procedure now days and your neuro-surgeon knows what his doing. I will go for it as long as it helps him on both behaves. Stay strong and take care of your pregnancy as well, let me know how things turn out and what doc says.... Laura

Closed Thread