It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
(male)

damiene HB User
2nd Time but still as Nervous as hell

Hi Guys

I'm new to this so please don't take anything I say personally. My girlfriend had her 2nd fit 2day. It hasn't been confirmed but doctors do believe it is Epilepsy (we await sleep EEG for confirmation). My problem is I've never been in this situation before and I'm not sure I have enough strength to look out for her when she has her seizures and fights paramedics and police for anything from 1hr - 2hrs and look after our 2 & 1/2 yr old boy.

Not to get personal but does anyone else have a seizure then starts fighting and not recognising everyone around them?

Also what advise can you give a new comer to this whole situation of life which is hard enough just having 2yr old kids with temper tantrums?

Many thanks for your understanding

Damien

Old 06-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
(female)

penny96 HB User
Re: 2nd Time but still as Nervous as hell

Hi Damien, yes after a seizure it can be VERY confusing and hard to recognize who people are or where you are. Seizures come in many forms, but most end in confusion. If your girlfriend is fighting it can be part of the seizure itself or from the confusion after the seizure. Try being understanding, most epileptics can recover from a seizure within the hour, but some can last as long as a day and there usually a need to rest. For the most part I'm sure that your girlfriend is a nice person, don't judge her from her seizures.

Ps. Seizures shouldn't be called "fits" this makes them sound like toddlers having a temper tantrum.

Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
(male)

Mediocrates HB User

Yes, I think it's most important to realize that your children will outgrow their tantrums; your wife may or may not continue to have seizures in the same way over time. Almost certainly, her seizures will change in some way: type, duration, intensity, or they may even go away.

At the same time, you will be aging and your health will be changing, too. You both will care for each other. You may be taking care of her during her seizures now, but each of you will be needing the other one later.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Confusion after a seizure is a common after effect. The brain is still recovering while it may seem from the outside that the person is fine. After effects of seizures can last as long as 30 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the person, each persons situation is different. Recovery can also be almost instantaneous as well once the seizure is over. It's unique case by case.

A lot of what you can do is observe. Depending on the degree of seizures the person has, calling emergency may not be the answer. If they are fine, not bleeding, no injury, and it is only a seizure, let it run it's course. A general rule of thumb is 5 minutes. If it is longer then that, (and the person's seizures are not long) then call emergency.

I would say to discuss this with the person. Ask them what they want you to do in case they have a seizure. Should you call or not, or at what point should emergency be called.

From a person who has seizures, I would rather people NOT call. There is nothing the hospital can do for me unless I broke a bone or have a bad cut. I just end up with a huge bill for emergency care and transportation.

Once they have the testing confirmed, they likely would start daily medications to suppress the seizures. That should bring some control, after the usual adjustments (read other threads on here to see what some of us have been through).

--Travis

Closed Thread