It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

sally555 HB User
New sufferer advice please - how long before a seizure do you know

Some people know they will have a seizure long before the aura. What does it feel like and how long before a seizure do you know something is wrong. Thanks for your help. Sally.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
(male)

Mediocrates HB User
Re: New sufferer advice please - how long before a seizure do you know

I never know beforehand. Maybe sensing auras is learned, or maybe it's that I simply don't have them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

Sally that all depends on the person and their type of seizures. I could tell about 3 mins ahead of time, mostly due to deja vu feelings, rapid hearth rate followed and then if I couldnt fight off the feelings, I had one. Others cant tell, and some like me 99% of the time, would have their attacks while asleep so its very hard to determine except for the person that gets them. Sorry if this doesn't help.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

In my past, it was SECONDS. Maybe 10-15 if I was lucky. I no longer have that advantage. I would use it (in the past) to stop if I was working in a potentially dangerous situation and move aside "just incase" to avoid injury from my surroundings.

Often the aura's I had, what back then were call "pre cursor", turned out to be nothing. The medication did it's job. However I took the warnings seriously especially when driving. I pulled off the road and put it in park, turned the car off.

Today, I have no clue when the seizure will strike. I know it is when it is. No advance warning.

I think from what I have discussed with people each case is different, but those that have aura's "feel" something or sense something is different. I had an auditory ring (in ONE ear) that was my aura.

--Travis

Old 06-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
(male)

pro17 HB User

Some people have told me that the aura quite possibly IS the seizure, just not as bad because of the medicine.
This may be true for me. Before I had 2 seizures, I used to have auras all the time, but I would ignore them. Then suddenly the auras turned into seizures. Now the medicine has brought the seizures back down to just auras.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Auras are also known as Simple Partial Seizures. This is the kind of seizures I get, so I basically just get auras. Though my auras are motor seizures, so they seem worse and more obvious than auras that other people get like a strange feeling or a ringing in the ears.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

JulJul22 HB User

I too have simple partial seizures which meanís that I only have the auras. Everybody is different so it all depends on the person and their seizure. I know that sometimes I feel kind of vulnerable. Iím not really sure what is happening to my body during those times but Iím sure that it has something to do with hormones. The times that I feel more vulnerable, I try to avoid Ďtriggersí. For example, yesterday I came home and started making dinner. Waiting for the water to boil I laid down on the couch and flipped through the channels. I stopped on a channel and the picture started to freeze and go haywire. I turned away but I already felt it coming so I sat through it while my bf was sitting right next to me and he didnít even notice.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
(female)

sally555 HB User

Thank you everso much for your help. I've read that some peolpe have an idea they will have a seizure for a couple of days before they actually have one. Is this different to the aura?????

Closed Thread