It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

mmoar HB User
Seizure

can a person hear what is going on around her while having a seizure, do you hear the people trying to comfort you

Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Re: Seizure

It depends on what kind of seizure it is. I had a simple-partial seizure once that secondarily generalized into a grand mal. While it was generalizing, I couldn't move or breathe or talk, but I could see and hear what was going on around me. But after that, when the seizure turned into a grand mal, the only thing I remember was waking up 30 minutes later with a chewed up tonge.
During a grand mal seizure, I don't think the person having the seizure is aware of what's going on around them. If they are, they probably won't remember it later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

loriy HB User
Cool Re: Seizure

My son had a complex partial seizure this past monday in his nuero docs office. We had just been talking about the memory thing. The doc yelled at him "GREEN COWS"!! and told him to remember that. When he recovered from the weizure about 5 minutes later he did not remember he "green cows". Let me tell you everyone else in the office did. My son does not have memory of his seizure and sometimes does not remember what he was doing before the seizure. Hope this sheds some light on things for you.

Last edited by loriy; 06-27-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: submitted 2 times

Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
(female)

loriy HB User
Cool Re: Seizure

My son had a complex partial seizure this past monday in his nuero docs office. We had just been talking about the memory thing. The doc yelled at him "GREEN COWS"!! and told him to remember that. When he recovered from the seizure about 5 minutes later he did not remember the "green cows". Let me tell you everyone else in the office did. My son does not have memory of his seizures and sometimes does not remember what he was doing before the seizure. Hope this sheds some light on things for you.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

It depends. I can sometimes. I remember people trying to make me let go of a rack once when I was working stage. I had a long postictal recovery where I couldn't use speech, but I fully understood what was going on around me. They tried pouring water on me. Expected me to be able to speak. I couldn't give verbal answers, and my hands were still shaking, so I could shake or nod my head to answer, or pull out ID if they needed medical or papers I had on me.

It was obvious I fully understood what was going on, just couldn't verbally reply. When they asked if I could talk yet. I tried, then could only get out one word (not what I wanted), and shook my head no. The EMT seemed to understand.

During the seizure itself however, USUALLY no. However the way my recovery felt, it felt just as bad as a mild seizure. My electrical pathways in the brain were still shorted and trying to re-establish proper pathways.

--Travis

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I'll add on to Loriy's doctor comments in this new post.

I had a BAD GM, I was in the hospital, they doped me up with Demerol (sp?) to calm me down. Anyway, I guess I had called my friends somehow, don't ask me how (cell?), and told them I was leaving the hospital shortly (they told me). I had an emergency appointment issued with my doctor after leaving the hospital. Here is the funny part. He told me about it at the booked meeting. I was fluid in speech. I was answering his questions like I would on a normal visit, I seemed normal, it was hard to tell I just came out of the ER... I just don't remember A DARN THING ABOUT IT. I didn't know how I got home from the ER when I woke up.

I remember being brought to the hospital, I remember being given the Demerol and thats the end of my memory!! I had to laugh when he told me I was fluid in my speech. I told him after a GM and being doped up I thought I would be slow in my reply or groggy.

--Travis

Old 06-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

lamb HB User

I still remember my 1st sz when I was 12 (I'm now 50). I guess because I kept going over it, in my mind. (I'm not going to use my real name). I was in my 6th grade classroom & sitting at my desk, I said "say hi, Mrs Vickers"(the teacher). She said hi Janie. I said "no use my real name". So she said "hi Jane" & again I told her to use my whole name. So she said "Hi Jane Doe". I remember thinking 'my dad calls me Jane, not Jainie'. Then the bell rang & we went to another classroom.
I also wonder exactly what happened once when I was riding my bike to school. I got across a busy street & then stopped & asked this guy "is the University up there?' (as I pointed). I went down that street all the time so really, I knew it was. Also, I wonder what driving would be like if I had a sz. I got across the street OK, meaning I must have seen when it was clear & OK to go.
Once when downtown & my DH was to pick me up from work. He found me walking down this one street. But how was I able to walk across the busy street? Did I wait till the light was green?

Closed Thread