It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

Kadee57 HB User
Extreme Memory Loss due to Epilepsy

My husband is 57 years old. About 8 years ago he started having these episodes where he kind of blanked out, sometimes 18 in a period of 24 hours. After 5 MRI, Pet Scan, CT Scan, numerous blood test, Lumbar puncture. He was diagnosed with Absence Seizures. He has tried many different seizure medications, however, only Lamictal has bought them somewhat under control. For the last 5 years his memory has declined each year. He no longer remembers how to write his name, SS#, Address, Phone Number, Do Basic Math, follow directions, basically all cognitive skills are gone.
Because of his age & the fact that it has been 5 years, all the Neurologist don't think he has Alzheimer's even with all the symptoms. He still thinks it is from the seizure's, which are located in the Temporal Lobe. He does take Namenda & Razadyne ER for memory, don't know if it helps, however, we are not going to find out by stopping it.
I guess my questions is: Does anyone else suffer from such extreme memory loss from seizures? Thank you in advance for any replies. Kadee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

lily5 HB User
Re: Extreme Memory Loss due to Epilepsy

Hi Kandee57

Not sure if this helps, but my 7 year old son has complex partial seizures, he gets them in clusters. in a day he can have any where from 1 to 12 abcenses. we feel that he forgets things that he has learnt. one day he can tell you where we live another day he cant remember. this is obviously affects his learning and is way behind his peers at school. like your husband my son is on medication but it is not fully undercontrol.
hope things improve.
take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Are other functions still fine? vision, motor, thought processing, short term memory (repeat what I say)?

Have you or your husband, possibly the Doc, mentioned or looked into if the seizures stop his breathing? I am heading down the oxygen depravation THEORY.

I should clarify. If a person stops breathing during a seizure (or seizures), and the seizure lasts for a longer time (longer than a minute w/o breathing), the brain starts to suffer damage. After repeat episodes of length more damage occurs.

If such damage exists, the MRI might be able to pick it up depending (gets complex) where and how much.

--Travis

Old 06-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

valeriedl HB User

I really don't know if this is along the line of what you need answers for but I started having sez about 6 years ago. I was about 25 at the time. I don't remember most things from my jr year of high school on.

I don't remember graduating high school, vacations that I went on, even the guy I was dating at the time. I got excited one day in the hospital because I found out I had a tattoo.

When I was in the hospital after the first sez (it was around 6 weeks that I was in there) I would not remember things from day to day. When people came to visit I would tell them the same things over and over and they could come in and tell me the same thing every day and it was like the first time I had heard it.

As the time has gone by it has gotten better. At first it was day to day things I would forget, then it went to week to week. Now I'm about at year to year things, but I will forget more recent things.

I keep a detailed calander of things that I had done that day so that I can look back and try to remember it.

Closed Thread