It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question can xanax cause seizures? i have called many mental places and they say no.

im just asking about xanax is because i take 3 -1 mgs a day for panic and i started then in feb 06 and i was having seizures since may 06 that was the first one i had then didnt have another till sept 06 then had 3 in dec 06 then from jan 07 to june 07 they got worse and in june 07 i blackedout on the sidewalk ended up at ER and those stipid people thought i overdosed alls i had took was 1 xanax and a b/p pill they didnt even check me for seizures and in june when i blackedout is when my head started hurting horrible so i begged my dr to please give me pain meds so he gave me darvacets 650 and yes they work so can anyone tell me about the xanax i have tried coming off because so many drs dont want to give them out anymore and omg i couldnt handle it i ended up at ER and they said get back with my dr so im still on the xanax and they do calm me down otherwise id never make it through the day i shak get nervous cry i freakout.
any advice would be helpfull.
thanks vickie

Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: can xanax cause seizures? i have called many mental places and they say no.

If you read the LONG submission they had to give the FDA, the answer is YES. The company relates it to missing a dose, or other causes. However, when a known epileptic is on it, and titrating down (reducing dose on Dr's orders) the packet of data submitted to the FDA states their study suggested going at a VERY slow reduction rate to avoid seizures.

It sounds like the medication by itself can cause seizures in non epileptic patients. Those packets of information are a pain to read, but do provide a great deal of information that the pharmacy one page sheet fails to.

Good luck in finding the packet of data on the medication.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

thanks travis,
the dr isnt tapering me down though i still take the same and when i had my first attack i had only started xanax 2 mos before today went for a MRI and according to the lady i had a seizure i couldnt even focus there faces or talk i was shaking so bad i couldnt stop .so if i was to stop taking xanax maybe the seizures would go away but see back in may 07 i stopped cold turkey for 4 days and omg the w/d's killed me i didnt have no seizures though.
thanks
vickie

Old 07-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

Kimwwe HB User

Hi, I take xanax for my seizures and I had grand mals only starting Feb. 07. I took it before then also but not too much before the 1st seizure was when I started the Xanax so who knows. But I got a week long EEG done to test for Epilepsy (in which it is due to the spikes), they started that Monday by stopping my med.s (which was just the xanax at that time I think) and by 2 in the morning I already started getting auras. Sure enough, by Tuesday around 5 pm. I got a grand mal. So stopping cold turkey can do it. I do get a little aura-ish if I forget to take them tho. Its very hard to come off of Xanax, especially if you have seizures. But it could be different in everyone. Best thing is to have a long term EEG done. It's seems like they can really only tell if it's Epilepsy is to have the EEG while having a seizure in which they try to induce out of you. It's rough but at least your in a hospital.

Closed Thread